Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just picked up some new LEDs :)  (Read 8831 times)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Re: Just picked up some new LEDs :)
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 12:47:39 pm »

If you haven't already seen it, Alan Roberts' excellent tests and methodology for LED colour rendition can be found here:

http://www.gtc.org.uk/tlci-results/tlci-results-new-format.aspx

The Dedolight LED's are pretty good but have the usual LED problem: big spike in the blue, gap in the teal/cyan, not much up in the violet or down in the deep reds.

At least these days they're mostly doing OK with skin tones and the grey scales. But if you need to accurately record already-tricky colours like deep blues or violets and purples, they are going to be a headache.

I've been using LED for a while for video work. They're OK but I wouldn't want to be without at least some overall control over green/magenta as well as colour temperature, and ideally full control over all the LED colours independently. I've got Kelvin tiles which offer this, and the newer Arri lights like L7C and Sky Panel allow it too.

Of course as with any "spiky" spectrum it can play havoc with the dyes in the camera RGB filters. If you happen to get a camera whose filter cut-offs are close to one of the LED peaks, the results can be rather unpredictable, producing weird green/magenta shifts which differ with colour. Trying to dial out a blue/green tint on skin tones when the whites have already gone magenta and the blues are looking purple/grey is no fun at all. So as always try for your own use case before you buy.

I've found that my Kelvin Tiles look fine with my RED, pretty horrible on the Hasselblad (massive green tint which you can mostly dial out in Phocus but anything which requires 30+ point adjustments to get back to something approximately neutral hardly inspires confidence) and OK with A7Rii. Testing is the best way to be sure, unless you've got detailed information on your camera's RGB filter passbands.

Cheap LEDs are ghastly. Almost as bad as cheap CFL's, which I simply cannot believe companies get away with selling for photographic use.

Cheers, Hywel

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 01:23:25 pm »

If you haven't already seen it, Alan Roberts' excellent tests and methodology for LED colour rendition can be found here:

http://www.gtc.org.uk/tlci-results/tlci-results-new-format.aspx

Thanks, that looks like a useful starting place. BTW, those IKEA bulbs look relatively decent ... ;)

The Dedolight LED's are pretty good but have the usual LED problem: big spike in the blue, gap in the teal/cyan, not much up in the violet or down in the deep reds. [/quote]

Yes, the Blue/Violet hump is usually an issue, I assume one could filter that out to get a more well behaved spectral uniformity, except for the dip near Cyan. One or two Lee filters should improve matters and allow more easily correctable color casts.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 02:47:25 pm »

Dedo LEDs have a much lower spike than other types. I've looked at some of the available spec sheets, and their spikes (for tungsten) are smaller than the Fiilex. Daylight seems to be more controlled as well. Chris pretty much showed this in his test.

As usual, it's all up to the dies used inside the diodes. There is a LED maker that has even higher rated diodes available (Yuji http://www.yujiintl.com/high-cri-led-lighting ), but I don't know who's using them in their products.
Instagram (updated often)

landscapephoto

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 03:45:22 pm »

A Sekonic C700 spectrometer will be very useful when dealing with LED lights. Just saying.  ::)

Hywel

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »

Yes, the Blue/Violet hump is usually an issue, I assume one could filter that out to get a more well behaved spectral uniformity, except for the dip near Cyan. One or two Lee filters should improve matters and allow more easily correctable color casts.

My experience is that filtering LEDs often makes the problem worse rather than better.

Instead of spikes interacting with cut-offs in three filter bandpasses, you get them interacting with cut-offs in four filter bandpasses- the camera RGB plus whatever filter you put in front of the LED. Generally speaking the additional filters have been designed to work with continuous spetra, not great big spiky things like LED or (god forbid) CFLs.

The ratio of blue spike to green/yellow/orange tail has already been selected by the manufacturer to "fool" the average sensor into seeing it as equivalent to daylight or tungsten. You can get some totally out-there colour shifts if you aren't careful, and you won't necessarily be able to see them with the naked eye. I've done this for creative effect but the effect is more usually party colour gel than subtle +1/8th magenta, I must say.

Obviously it is never going to be perfect with such a lumpy spectrum. But I've definitely had more practical success with altering the balance of multiple LED colours at source rather than filtering an already malformed spectrum.

Cheers, Hywel

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:45:29 pm by Hywel »

Hywel

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 06:14:49 pm »

A Sekonic C700 spectrometer will be very useful when dealing with LED lights. Just saying.  ::)

Oh damn you, now I'm going to have to buy one of those, instead of the nice 90 mm Sony Macro lens I'd promised myself for the new year. The urge to know what the light spectrum actually IS will be overwhelming now I know you can get one of those hand-held :(

Cheers, Hywel

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 01:27:38 am »

Oh damn you, now I'm going to have to buy one of those, instead of the nice 90 mm Sony Macro lens I'd promised myself for the new year. The urge to know what the light spectrum actually IS will be overwhelming now I know you can get one of those hand-held :(

Cheers, Hywel

Yeah, me too, I've spent the last 20mins reading about the C700….
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 01:57:10 pm »

Hi,

The suggestion that comes to my mind is that it may be a good way to generate a good colour profile for the illuminant in question.

What is your view on that?

Best regards
Erik

My experience is that filtering LEDs often makes the problem worse rather than better.

Instead of spikes interacting with cut-offs in three filter bandpasses, you get them interacting with cut-offs in four filter bandpasses- the camera RGB plus whatever filter you put in front of the LED. Generally speaking the additional filters have been designed to work with continuous spetra, not great big spiky things like LED or (god forbid) CFLs.

The ratio of blue spike to green/yellow/orange tail has already been selected by the manufacturer to "fool" the average sensor into seeing it as equivalent to daylight or tungsten. You can get some totally out-there colour shifts if you aren't careful, and you won't necessarily be able to see them with the naked eye. I've done this for creative effect but the effect is more usually party colour gel than subtle +1/8th magenta, I must say.

Obviously it is never going to be perfect with such a lumpy spectrum. But I've definitely had more practical success with altering the balance of multiple LED colours at source rather than filtering an already malformed spectrum.

Cheers, Hywel
Erik Kaffehr

Chris Livsey

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 03:16:07 am »

Simplistic question: The spectrum is useful obviously in showing spikes and gaps and guiding filtration, but that has issues as has been pointed out, how do you, from that spectrum, then set the single figure white balance the camera allows and which is only in RAW data anyway so has no effect on what is captured, although we are repeatedly told to get it near enough before going to the converter because it does have some effect?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2015, 03:32:28 am »

Simplistic question: The spectrum is useful obviously in showing spikes and gaps and guiding filtration, but that has issues as has been pointed out, how do you, from that spectrum, then set the single figure white balance the camera allows and which is only in RAW data anyway so has no effect on what is captured, although we are repeatedly told to get it near enough before going to the converter because it does have some effect?

Hi Chris,

I don't know what kind of algorithm the Sekonic uses, but one could compare the sampled spectrum with the emission spectrum of a black-body radiator, vary the latter's temperature, and minimize the differences over the full human visible spectrum (maybe add some weighting). Obviously the Blackbody spectrum is smooth like from incandescent lightsources, but by minimizing the differences something usable should emerge. Maybe it also optimizes for a 'tint' in addition to the color temperature.

That temperature is obviously only a tag in the Raw metadata. One would need to actually filter the lightsource, and/or the lens, to really produce better Raw data. That tag can then be used by a camera as a default "as Shot" color temperature/tint.

A spiky/bumpy spectrum will remain an issue for accurate color, even if on-average the differences are minimized, so that still needs fixing before capturing.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:27:20 am by BartvanderWolf »

Hywel

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2015, 08:23:33 am »

Simplistic answer:

I usually just shoot on daylight or tungsten preset- it seems to get close enough as a starting point for RAW processing and it means I know where I am starting from. I know that I need to dial in some plus green to match daylight or tungsten on the RED, but I do that on the lights rather than on the camera.

If I think it is very tricky I set using grey card in most "representative" bit of the scene, this can help dial out gross green and magenta shifts.

Flash is so much more powerful and just as portable, and has something much more like a true black-body thermal emission spectrum, so I still use flash 90% of the time for stills.

Where I have found the LED panels particularly useful is a little extra warm fill and catchlights in model's eyes when shooting available light; here I definitely rely on daylight or tungsten preset depending on what the main light source is, and consult the back of the camera to get some handle on green/magenta shift, then dial that up on down on the panel.

How does the Sekonic meter chooses its overall "Average" colour for a very lumpy spectrum? I guess only the engineers at Sekonic can answer that. Maybe they just do a one-parameter fit to the spectrum and accept the answer, however poor the fit actually is?

But that's not any help when setting stuff on the camera, as the camera's colour temperature settings aren't for continuous spectra either. They are to mix relative amounts of R, G and B channels, as that's the only thing the camera CAN do. The only data it records are the RGB intensities inside the filter passbands.

This sort of thing is what I mean:

(from http://www.samirkharusi.net/spectrograph.html it was the best passband graph I could find with a quick Google).

As you can see, the R G and B passbands overlap, and the red filter leaks at the extreme violet end. So the camera's response will be the convolution of each filter response with the input spectrum.

Note that the dip in the cyan in the LED spectrum is pretty much where the blue and green filter passbands cross over. This will make the exact response of the camera highly dependent on exactly where the dip falls relative to those two pass bands.

Ironically this might be why my Hasselblad (which generally seems to have very clean colours and low sensitivity, suggesting they may have used stricter passband filters for the RGB pixels) reacts so much worse to the LED spiky spectrum than something like Canons or REDs, where the dyes are chosen with half an eye on low-light performance rather than going all out for colour purity.

If a camera from a particular manufacturer happens to have the filter cross-over more cleanly up in the blue, whereas another has it more down in the green, you're going to get very different camera responses from the same light. One might register the light as very blue, another camera as very green. As this is an artefact of the camera and the light convolved together, it is impossible to see by eye: you can only see it once you've taken a shot. And in neither case does it say anything about how the intensity of the red channel will vary in parallel with the recorded intensity in the blue vs the green. So in general there will not be a "correct" colour temperature setting anyway- that models the response of RGB channels assuming a continuous thermal spectrum, which isn't what's present.

Note that the leakage in the red passband up into the blue/violet happens to coincide roughly with the peak of the blue emission from the LED, too- so the contamination of red in the blues might give a much stronger red contamination than the RAW processor is expecting, resulting in red or magenta shifts in the blues.

There's also a general lack in the far reds both in filter and light, so objects that appear red to the eye might end up looking very dark on camera.

Adding in extra passbands only makes the situation more complex:

(From http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-details.html#247&filter=tf for regular minus-green).

Look at what CTO does:

To get the response of the camera to a spiky spectrum light filtered with that is beyond my capability to visualise in my head! (I think you multiply the light spectrum by the fiilter response, but then have to convolve with the camera dye passbands to get the R, G, B responses). Whatever you get, it probably won't be what you naively expected, and you'll very likely be throwing away a lot of intensity, too.

This is why I worry when I see manufacturers shipping daylight balanced LED panels with slot in CTO filters. What comes out will likely bear little resemblance to a genuine 3200K black body thermal spectrum!

I note that Lee are now doing a range of filters specifically for LED, which have cleaner passbands than their regular range:

http://www.leefilters.com/lighting/colour-details.html#CL180&filter=ld

but at the moment those are more like party gel colours matching to Tungsten, not the subtle effects of a +1/8th CTO or -1/4 green.

Cheers, Hywel

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:35:42 am by Hywel »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 10:43:50 am »

Bart,
Thank you for expanding, that quest for colour accuracy was well debated here previously and perhaps the spectrum influence was not fully considered, but accuracy with all the variables is probably a quest too far, unless you invest in that Capture One package.

Hywel,
I knew when I asked the answer was not as simple as the question and you kindly have show how right I was!!
Sometimes the more we know, as with the analyser, the less we feel capable of fixing it.
I was shooting a quick 'product" shot today, a new Photobook with a pure black cover (inset B&W print) in diffuse cloudy sunlight the camera balance (Nikon D3) was shall we say poor to be charitable, only by dialling in manually and by chimping the result could I get it near. I presume the algorithms in camera are similarly obscure, at least to the user, but at least the manufacturer is aware of the dye filtration on the sensor. It is that tint rather than the "pure" temperature that seems to skew the result. The D3 does allow a joystick type adjustment of tint presumably for the jpeg output option.
Your input is appreciated, I know more and probably understand less!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 11:03:25 am »

The suggestion that comes to my mind is that it may be a good way to generate a good colour profile for the illuminant in question.

What is your view on that?

Hi Erik,

For a spectrum profile based camera profile (like with Anders Torger's  DCamProf utility), we also need the CFA-filter response. So we can only do that by taking an image of the illuminant's spectral light emission. I'm (early stage) experimenting with that, based on a not too expensive line grating. I'm now looking for a method to produce a reliable light slit (something with 2 razor blades or knife edges that can be precisely adjusted for a certain slit width).

Taking an image of the lightsource shining through the slit, I will get, after calibration of the wavelengths, a perfect spectral decomposition of the lightsource+lens+Bayer CFA+sensor transmission, and the effective response or sensitivity of the combo.

Maybe this is better discussed in another thread.

Cheers,
Bart

Hywel

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 11:15:38 am »

(something with 2 razor blades or knife edges that can be precisely adjusted for a certain slit width).

Hi Bart,

Ahhh, fun! I must dig my Star Analyser out, haven't used it in ages.

You can buy variable slits off the shelf if you don't want to faff around with razor blades :)

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1465

or as fixed width slits:

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1464

Cheers, Hywel

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 11:34:31 am »

Hi Bart,

Ahhh, fun! I must dig my Star Analyser out, haven't used it in ages.

You can buy variable slits off the shelf if you don't want to faff around with razor blades :)

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1465

or as fixed width slits:

https://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage9.cfm?objectgroup_id=1464

Cheers, Hywel

Thanks for the links Hywel. I know they can be bought off the shelf, but I'll also search on eBay first. In the end I'd like to create something more 'industrial' ;)

Cheers,
Bart

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 01:46:30 pm »

I recall seeing in Costco 3-packs of 60W LED bulbs with packaging stating a CRI either 92 or 94 ($19). Are these any good for photography?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2015, 08:55:40 am »

I recall seeing in Costco 3-packs of 60W LED bulbs with packaging stating a CRI either 92 or 94 ($19). Are these any good for photography?

Not really, considering how cheap they are and the average CRI rating.

Quality LEDs, besides being pricey, usually have a CRI of 96+ as well as other ratings like TLCI. Even better if they state the temperature range (good LEDs are usually +/- 200K from the rated temperature).
Instagram (updated often)

MichaelEzra

• https://www.michaelezra.com
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »

Those had 2700 or 2800K rating. Ok, thanks:)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2015, 04:16:03 pm »

That works so long as the the dominating light are not the LEDs, like in residential kitchens where the LEDs are more likely the track lighting under the cabinets. 

But in large commercial spaces where the LEDs are the primary light source, it would be impossible to turn them off and recreate that light feel.  So you just need to deal with it in post, which is not great. 

Chris, thanks for the samples.  The light looks very nice and clean.

I think that, as long as you can turn the various "house" and supplementary light sources on and off independently, you have a shot at being able to do separate exposures and to correct separately in post, even when the "house" lighting is the dominant light source. Not always, for sure, but I think it depends upon the particular situation and the nature of the ambient daylight, if there is any. I do understand that, with commercial/institutional situations, you might not have the ability to turn the various types of "house" lighting on and off independently, however; and this can occasionally happen with residential too.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 07:24:01 am »

Hi Bart,

My take was that we can generate a normal, target based profile using the illuminant in question. I would agree that it may be better to use spectral response of the sensor, but it may be helpful to just use a colour checker.

My take is that we essentially just strive for a compromise matrix, optimising the matrix to achieve minimum errors. I am not sure a LUT based approach does a better job here, so I would guess that the 16 standard patches on the ColorChecker may be sufficient. Now days we can easily build profiles for DCP but anyone willing to use the command line can also generate ICC profiles with Torger's tool.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,

For a spectrum profile based camera profile (like with Anders Torger's  DCamProf utility), we also need the CFA-filter response. So we can only do that by taking an image of the illuminant's spectral light emission. I'm (early stage) experimenting with that, based on a not too expensive line grating. I'm now looking for a method to produce a reliable light slit (something with 2 razor blades or knife edges that can be precisely adjusted for a certain slit width).

Taking an image of the lightsource shining through the slit, I will get, after calibration of the wavelengths, a perfect spectral decomposition of the lightsource+lens+Bayer CFA+sensor transmission, and the effective response or sensitivity of the combo.

Maybe this is better discussed in another thread.

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up