Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm living in the wrong & right place  (Read 8140 times)

Endeavour

Re: I'm living in the wrong & right place
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 11:20:08 am »

Am I missing something, what about the Pentax 645D or 645Z? Seems like the D is squarely in your budget, brand new.

I did look into the 645z, but considered it wasnt worth it (quality wise) over retaining my L glass and a 5dsr, for the price

Joe Towner

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 11:55:54 am »

you're right
I'm just trying not to paint myself into a corner.

There isn't a 'not painting myself into a corner' option.  Hasselblad has 2 lines of bodies, one that take their 'paired' backs, and one that takes 'other' backs.  Finally seeing them merge back together, as you can get the H5 backs with the H5x body.  Best of luck in your hunt, MF is a small fish, but it sounds like it's even smaller in Canada.

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

Conner999

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

Such is the PITA of a country, that while huge in size, has a very small population and as a result a low number of dealers and professional shooters churning higher-end gear - and just as few buyers.  If you live outside a larger CDN center, like myself on the East Coast, it's a wasteland in terms of high-end gear. Damn near fell over when I saw a Broncolor Move kit on sale (on ebay) from the area.

It's also a market where far too many (CDN) dealers fail to realize it's 2015 and the internet is, in fact, here to stay. The typical prices on dealer used items, even with the current FX rate, is laughable compared to folks like B&H and others.  It's the same for Bron or Profoto hardware - if you can find it. 

Frustrating, but you keep your eyes open for that rare item that shows up here at a fair price, and resign yourself to buying from (typically) the US market.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:32:48 pm by Conner999 »

Endeavour

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 01:23:25 pm »

Such is the PITA of a country, that while huge in size, has a very small population and as a result a low number of dealers and professional shooters churning higher-end gear - and just as few buyers.  If you live outside a larger CDN center, like myself on the East Coast, it's a wasteland in terms of high-end gear. Damn near fell over when I saw a Broncolor Move kit on sale (on ebay) from the area.

It's also a market where far too many (CDN) dealers fail to realize it's 2015 and the internet is, in fact, here to stay. The typical prices on dealer used items, even with the current FX rate, is laughable compared to folks like B&H and others.  It's the same for Bron or Profoto hardware - if you can find it. 

Frustrating, but you keep your eyes open for that rare item that shows up here at a fair price, and resign yourself to buying from (typically) the US market.

you're not wrong

guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and give the Canadian govt some cash for the privilege of bringing a camera into the country.
by the time I find something I will be snowed in at -40oC realfeel and not able to go anywhere to shoot anyway  ;)

jsiva

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 02:41:44 pm »

you're not wrong

guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and give the Canadian govt some cash for the privilege of bringing a camera into the country.
by the time I find something I will be snowed in at -40oC realfeel and not able to go anywhere to shoot anyway  ;)

Some of the best landscapes are after a nice wet snowfall :)

Endeavour

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 02:56:44 pm »

Some of the best landscapes are after a nice wet snowfall :)

unfortunately my eyeballs stop working at those temperatures which a canadian winter reaches

landscapephoto

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 04:32:47 pm »

According to some Canadian friends of mine, you give your government some cash for a better education, a better health system and policemen who do not shoot you. Their words, not mine and, I suggest, to be taken with a good dose of humour.  ;)

jsiva

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 04:57:45 pm »

unfortunately my eyeballs stop working at those temperatures which a canadian winter reaches

Actually, once your eyeballs freeze into place, it is not so bad.

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 11:33:04 pm »

I did look into the 645z, but considered it wasnt worth it (quality wise) over retaining my L glass and a 5dsr, for the price

I don't mean to be waving the pentax flag but the 645 has some of the best IQ on the market. If you aren't satisfied with the jump in IQ from a 5d to a 645z, then the same could be said for pretty much any MF setup, until you got to something like a 80mp phase one.

Harold Clark

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 09:52:12 am »

you're not wrong

Something to keep in mind is that if you are making money commercially with photography, you can get a HST registration number. Then the HST is refundable on all business related expenses such as equipment. That may not be your situation at present, but something to keep in mind in future.

I do think taxes are too high in Canada, but on the positive side if you want cheap university tuition or need a heart transplant you are covered.

Endeavour

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 10:02:23 am »

Something to keep in mind is that if you are making money commercially with photography, you can get a HST registration number. Then the HST is refundable on all business related expenses such as equipment. That may not be your situation at present, but something to keep in mind in future.

I do think taxes are too high in Canada, but on the positive side if you want cheap university tuition or need a heart transplant you are covered.

yeah, I'm not convinced there is much money to be made in photography these days, unless you are doing weddings - but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong

I can appreciate the qualities of Canada; although I am university educated in England and thus have also had the UK's free NHS on tap for the first 25 years of my life :)

landscapephoto

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 01:26:50 pm »

yeah, I'm not convinced there is much money to be made in photography these days, unless you are doing weddings - but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong

There is decent money to be made in product photography: catalogues, etc...

Christoph B.

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »

There is decent money to be made in product photography: catalogues, etc...

I think that's one of the few sectors that will be completely overtaken by CGI within a few years.

Endeavour

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 01:50:24 pm »

I think that's one of the few sectors that will be completely overtaken by CGI within a few years.

I was going to say that.

I thought most product stuff is 3d rendering these days. particularly reflective stuff like phones, watches, Cars etc

landscapephoto

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 04:09:48 pm »

That is true for some products, but not products made of soft materials (e.g.: bags, fashion accessories but also foods) or artisanal products. Price is also an element and photography is often cheaper.

Endeavour

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »

dragging the topic tenuously back to medium format ... :)

just out of interest, how capable is a V series (i.e. a 500 cm) in a studio environment?
My concerns are towards:

a) accurate focusing on a non static object - i.e. a model
b) controlling strobes

is it a world of pain?

landscapephoto

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 03:38:47 pm »

dragging the topic tenuously back to medium format ... :)

just out of interest, how capable is a V series (i.e. a 500 cm) in a studio environment?

I know a pro who lives from what they output. He does 100% product photography.

a) accurate focusing on a non static object - i.e. a model

Pre-focus.

b) controlling strobes

Use a flash meter.

is it a world of pain?

No pain, no gain.

Endeavour

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 03:47:48 pm »

I know a pro who lives from what they output. He does 100% product photography.

Pre-focus.

Use a flash meter.

No pain, no gain.

great, thanks :)

Conner999

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »

This might be of interest re: Hassy V in studio.

http://fstoppers.com/bts/dslr-shooter-reviews-hasselblad-cfv-50c-102077

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2015, 05:34:35 pm »

This might be of interest re: Hassy V in studio.

http://fstoppers.com/bts/dslr-shooter-reviews-hasselblad-cfv-50c-102077

That film image in the review looks like a keeper - I must be getting nostalgia

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up