Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm living in the wrong & right place  (Read 8142 times)

Endeavour

I'm living in the wrong & right place
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »

A couple of years ago I emigrated from the UK to Canada. I've loved it here since the day I landed.

Being heavily into landscape and nature photography I felt the country had a lot to offer (if only it wasn't so bloody big!)
the romance of throwing all my kit into the back of my SUV and heading off into the Canadian wilderness for a day or two to get some great photos has kept me entertained on the rare weekend I can get away (weather and family life permitting)

thats the good bit, the bad bit is now I want to expand into medium format for landscape & portraiture. And it's because of the latter that I will be wanting a camera with auto-focus; thus a Hassy V system seemed good for the former, but not the latter.
A good solution I thought would be an early H series. H1-3 which would allow me to upgrade the digital back, to a newer PhaseOne or Leaf if I sold enough of my work to fund the purchase.

Now can I find a used H1, H2 or H3 for sale in Canada? can I find a used phase one P45 H type digital back in Canada?

no and no

I should have stayed in europe, seems there are loads for sale back over there, with lots more choice. Even buying from USA or EU and shipping it is going to incur a lot of cost (notably import duty)

I should have gotten into medium format 3 years ago, then I might have some nice kit I could have imported for free
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:14:44 pm by lotusEsp »

Rob C

Re: I'm living in the wrong & right place
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »

A couple of years ago I emigrated from the UK to Canada. I've loved it here since the day I landed.

Being heavily into landscape and nature photography I felt the country had a lot to offer (if only it wasn't so bloody big!)
the romance of throwing all my kit into the back of my SUV and heading off into the Canadian wilderness for a day or two to get some great photos has kept me entertained on the rare weekend I can get away (weather and family life permitting)

thats the good bit, the bad bit is now I want to expand into medium format for landscape & portraiture. And it's because of the latter that I will be wanting a camera with auto-focus; thus a Hassy V system seemed good for the former, but not the latter.
A good solution I thought would be an early H series. H1-3 which would allow me to upgrade the digital back, to a newer PhaseOne or Leaf if I sold enough of my work to fund the purchase.

Now can I find a used H1, H2 or H3 for sale in Canada? can I find a used phase one P45 H type digital back in Canada?

no and no

I should have stayed in europe, seems there are loads for sale back over there, with lots more choice. Even buying from USA or EU and shipping it is going to incur a lot of cost (notably import duty)

I should have gotten into medium format 3 years ago, then I might have some nice kit I could have imported for free

I think that with the will, with a considered approach to what you shoot, you could get mileage out of one of those super-wide 120 film cameras from Linhof et al. Might be a good thing keeping a stack of transparencies for a while, and then once the novelty of each wears, decide what's worth scanning?

Rob C

Endeavour

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:36:42 pm »

thanks, but with time constraints and small kiddies running around, I dont want to go back to film & developing.

landscapephoto

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 05:14:34 pm »

And how much would an H3 cost in Canada?

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:26:52 pm »

And how much would an H3 cost in Canada?

as soon as I find one for sale, I'll let you know.

But lets say I find a kit in the US for about USD $10,000 - CAD $13626.00: to import that would mean I pay nearly $2000 in import duty & taxes

Harold Clark

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 05:30:51 pm »

The only tax payable should be 13% HST I believe, if you import. If you buy from a dealer in Canada you will still have to pay it, but not if you buy privately.

The recent drop in the C$ vs US$ adds a lot of cost to US purchases, there are probably better deals to be had buying from Europe since the Euro exchange rate has fared better. If you can afford to wait, something will most likely turn up locally.

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 05:32:43 pm »

it depends on the province you live in unfortunately, I live in Ontario

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Harold Clark

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »

it depends on the province you live in unfortunately, I live in Ontario

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

You are correct, Ontario is 13% as are most provinces, I should have mentioned that in my previous post. Albertans only get dinged 5%.

Endeavour

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:02:49 pm »

so yeah its quite a slap to the face, to have an extra 2k on the cost, once you put in import tax/duty, shipping, insurance etc :(

landscapephoto

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:58:58 am »

as soon as I find one for sale, I'll let you know.

But lets say I find a kit in the US for about USD $10,000 - CAD $13626.00: to import that would mean I pay nearly $2000 in import duty & taxes

What kind of "kit" are you looking for? Camera? Lens?

Chris Livsey

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:34:24 am »

Hasselblad have a number of dealers in Canada, do none of them do S/H from trades, what's the rental market like, where do their "old" stocks go, all are good sources on the UK.

Endeavour

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 06:48:37 am »

What kind of "kit" are you looking for? Camera? Lens?

Body ideally with autofocus, as although primary usage will be landscape, I also want it for portraiture and possibly (shudder) weddings
Lenses I'd initially be wanting a 50mm and I'll be after a 110mm
digital back, at least 39m to start with, and upgrade in the future if my work takes off (I realise this is where all the investment is)

that's why I was thinking an H1 or H2 or H3, so I can keep the lenses/body and go bigger on the back if needed later on.

If i didnt need autofocus, I would happily jump on the V series, of which there are loads for sale in Canada particularly the 500 c/m.

jsiva

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 07:10:29 am »

Why not get something like this...this guy is in Canada.  You could ad a DF+ and 80mm for a about 2K and you've got a pretty sweet kit.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=105515.0

Endeavour

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 08:14:23 am »

Why not get something like this...this guy is in Canada.  You could ad a DF+ and 80mm for a about 2K and you've got a pretty sweet kit.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=105515.0

I agree, unfortunately that back is out of my budget right now

jsiva

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 09:19:01 am »

I agree, unfortunately that back is out of my budget right now

Few places to check...

Headshot (Henrys)
B3K Digital
Thecamerastore.com

landscapephoto

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:56 am »

Body ideally with autofocus, as although primary usage will be landscape, I also want it for portraiture and possibly (shudder) weddings
Lenses I'd initially be wanting a 50mm and I'll be after a 110mm
digital back, at least 39m to start with, and upgrade in the future if my work takes off (I realise this is where all the investment is)

that's why I was thinking an H1 or H2 or H3, so I can keep the lenses/body and go bigger on the back if needed later on.

You are saying that you want an AF MF camera, at least 39 mpix, and a 50mm lens. I checked for you on eBay Europe.

An H1 costs about 700-800€ with viewfinder.
The H2 is hard to find and has no advantage over the H1 for you.
The H3 accepts film backs, but will not necessarily accept Phase One backs (I have seen one refuse third party digital backs, I am not entirely sure they were from Phase One). But if you ever intend to buy an IQ380, an H1 is 700-800€, so I don't see the problem.

The H3 backs were built with 22, 31 and 39 mpix. You won't find a higher resolution. So basically, you want an H3D-39. There are 3 on ebay as we speak between 3000 and 3800€ (buy-in, not auction). The H3D works very well, has the advantage that it accepts film back and the inconvenient that its rear screen is a disgrace. That's about it.

An HC50 lens costs about 1500-1800€. It is not as good as the version II, but you won't see much difference at the apertures used for landscape. Still, if I were you I would be an HC35 lens instead (about same price).

So, to sum it up, we are talking about a budget of 5000€ for what you want on eBay Europe. Even with shipping and taxes, we are still under your budget. What is the problem?

Endeavour

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:14:08 am »

thanks for that

your comment about the H3 potentially not accepting 3rd party digital backs is a concern I had.

landscapephoto

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:29 am »

your comment about the H3 potentially not accepting 3rd party digital backs is a concern I had.

But why would that be a real problem? The real investment is in the lenses and the backs. If you go the H route and change to a different back in some time, you will sell your camera anyway: few people want to buy an H3D back without the body. And then, depending on your budget, your either get an old H1 or a brand new H5x.

Endeavour

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 10:35:45 am »

you're right
I'm just trying not to paint myself into a corner.

SZRitter

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:51:30 am »

Am I missing something, what about the Pentax 645D or 645Z? Seems like the D is squarely in your budget, brand new.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up