Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H1 flash question  (Read 4709 times)

reinhard

H1 flash question
« on: April 18, 2006, 08:45:24 am »

hi all,
this might sound like a dumb question, but i sort of cannot figure out how to properly get the correct settings with the bult-in flash active and the camera in either "A" or "S". my readings - obviously the ambient light reading - do not change once the flash has been opened. i do get an extra information, though, minus EV values. by changing shutterspeed and/or aperture i can bring that value up to +/- zero. but, and this puzzles me: which value counts, provided i want to take a picture in low light and want it to come out right ...?? i read and reread the manual but it doesn't make sense to me.
anybody out there who could help?
thanks
reinhard

SeanBK

H1 flash question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 09:31:12 am »

I suppose you are referring to Hasselblad H1 cameras' built-in flash. If you are than try the manual setting. One can read the meter to see the ambient light reading and work with it. I hope I make sense.

reinhard

H1 flash question
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:35:37 am »

yep, i do refer to the built-in flash. and i tried the manual setting, sean. nevertheless i cannot figure out which reading (either the ambient light reading or the flash's EV reading) is the correct one, provided i don not want a fill but the pic sufficiently lit with the flash. i guess the problem's my limited experience to interpret the figures shown.
kind of hard to explain in a foreign language....
reinhard

tony field

• http://www.tphoto.ca
H1 flash question
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:29:11 pm »

yep, i do refer to the built-in flash.

Unfortunately, I have not used the H1.  However, it probably works similar to most digital slr cameras.  I find that I have the best control is with manual.  However, here is a guess about using the H1.... :-)

Assume you wish to have the flash unit dominate the light and not be a simple fill flash.  Also assume you are in aperture priority and have your camera set to F5.6.   If the shutter speed is reasonable in the ambient light (maybe 1/25 second or faster),  set up the camera to under-expose by one stop by adjusting the exposure compensation system.  This would result in an under-exposed image at 1/50 second at F5.6 without flash.  Now enable the flash - tell the flash (I assume on a setup menu for the camera) that you wish to have NORMAL flash exposure.

If you shoot the image, the camera will under expose by one stop as you directed.  However, the flash will sense the under-exposure and give your stronger fill.  In this case, there will be one stop more light from the flash than from the ambient light.

An alternative is to use manual exposure (maybe by light meter) and set the camera for a one stop under-exposure.  If you fire the flash, the flash system will compensate and give you a proper exposure - again, it will be one stop stronger than the ambient light.

Hope the above applies to the H1 :-)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 02:33:18 pm by tony field »

reinhard

H1 flash question
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 07:49:15 am »

thanks, tony. this helps. although i still have a hard time figuring this out. best thing would prob' be to shoot a testroll and see what happens.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
H1 flash question
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 04:16:28 am »

Beyond the technical discussion, I wonder whether it is reasonnable to expect more than fill from the H1 built-in unit.

I used it a few times, but only in must situations.

I feel a deep unbalance in the force when you mention shooting with a top of the range pro camera like the H1 and intend to provide light to the world with this small built in unit...

Regards,
Bernard

reinhard

H1 flash question
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 03:36:00 am »

i'm sorry, i've made you feel this way, bernard. :-)
it's just nagging me, that's all. usually there are about 5.000 watts of heads and powerpacks hooked up to this camera ... sounds more pro, doesn't it?
reinhard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
H1 flash question
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:40:31 am »

i'm sorry, i've made you feel this way, bernard. :-)
it's just nagging me, that's all. usually there are about 5.000 watts of heads and powerpacks hooked up to this camera ... sounds more pro, doesn't it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It definitely does!

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up