Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trivialization of photography  (Read 16102 times)

stamper

Re: Trivialization of photography
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2015, 06:11:24 am »

Of course I have a high opinion of myself; why else would I bother to put in all the computer-hours photography implies? Whether 'others' share that opinion here matters zilch: what mattered was that the business community thought I was worth paying the high fees to catch. I'm happy with that as validation.

;-)

Rob C

Rather ironic that you object to the use of the word elitist because your post smacks of it? You have obviously put yourself on a pedestal therefore you should be careful you don't fall off it and land on your ego. Perhaps time for another holiday? ;)  :(

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2015, 09:22:11 am »

Rather ironic that you object to the use of the word elitist because your post smacks of it? You have obviously put yourself on a pedestal therefore you should be careful you don't fall off it and land on your ego. Perhaps time for another holiday? ;)  :(

When you learn to understand what you read, you'll discover that context is of paramount importance, especially in the little matter of definitions, and even, with luck, how words are used within given contexts, thus making specific meanings pertain. Of course, that's another 'suspect' skill on some socio-political barometers. As is life, really, as well as any aspiration beyond failure. If you have no belief in yourself, then why, pray tell, should anyone else have faith in you?

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 12:18:26 pm by Rob C »

stamper

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 03:58:42 am »

When you learn to understand what you read, you'll discover that context is of paramount importance, especially in the little matter of definitions, and even, with luck, how words are used within given contexts, thus making specific meanings pertain. Of course, that's another 'suspect' skill on some socio-political barometers. As is life, really, as well as any aspiration beyond failure. If you have no belief in yourself, then why, pray tell, should anyone else have faith in you?

Rob C

Nothing wrong with having belief in yourself. However the problem is that if someone tells the world how good they are and the world doesn't agree with them then they tend to look foolish. To reiterate, my statement about elitism was not aimed at professionals and wasn't political. It was about the use of the word schmo. Calling all non professionals schmo was imo insulting and unfortunately you read it wrongly. Now let us both forget about it and enjoy the upcoming Christmas? :)

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 04:06:36 am »

Nothing wrong with having belief in yourself. However the problem is that if someone tells the world how good they are and the world doesn't agree with them then they tend to look foolish. To reiterate, my statement about elitism was not aimed at professionals and wasn't political. It was about the use of the word schmo. Calling all non professionals schmo was imo insulting and unfortunately you read it wrongly. Now let us both forget about it and enjoy the upcoming Christmas? :)

Forget what?

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 04:31:39 am »

Forget what?

Rob C

Your misunderstanding.

Ray

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:16 am »

All this 'tit for tat' and argy-bargy has nothing to do with photography. It's all to do with your ego and vanity.

stamper

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2015, 08:41:28 am »

All this 'tit for tat' and argy-bargy has nothing to do with photography. It's all to do with your ego and vanity.

Ray I think you have indulged in a few "argy-bargy"? If I remember rightly Kevin was one person you picked on? :(

Rob C

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2015, 09:57:06 am »

Quote from: Rob C on December 14, 2015, 04:06:36 AM

Forget what?

Rob C

Your misunderstanding.

I think the above reply from you, where no reply was ever expected or deemed necessary, demonstrates again how you simply are not able to understand what you are reading, as I mentioned earlier in this sorry thread.

I'll try again, one last time: when I wrote "Forget what?" I was indicating that I was perfectly happy to go along with your suggestion to sheath the claymores, at least during the Christmas season. I was indicating that I had already forgotten the little contretemps beween us...-

Never mind. Have a good season anyhow.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:18 am »

Don't be silly Ray; enough that it's the 'silly season' in its own right!

I enclose a little picture where I thought of you as one of the brighter lights in the LuLa firmanent:

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2015, 10:02:54 am »

Ray I think you have indulged in a few "argy-bargy"? If I remember rightly Kevin was one person you picked on? :(

Not at all. I picked on a couple of his photos and critiqued them with honesty.

Ray

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2015, 10:11:01 am »

Don't be silly Ray; enough that it's the 'silly season' in its own right!

I enclose a little picture where I thought of you as one of the brighter lights in the LuLa firmanent:

Rob C

What are you trying to create in that photo, Rob? The impression of a ghost?  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2015, 11:16:47 am »

What are you trying to create in that photo, Rob? The impression of a ghost?  ;)

If the PC Police don't object: just a chink of moving light against the blackness.

Rob C

Baileykos

• 3D Rendering Studio
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2016, 04:50:52 am »

As photographers, we have a tendency to hate once somebody asks North American country to figure for "exposure," i.e., for free. the positioning of this magnitude and significance within the photographic community isn't low-cost to run.

Barbarasko

• 3D Rendering Studio
    • 3D Walkthrough Animation
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 04:42:07 am »

The magic of photography is probably less complicated than we have a tendency to thought. It needs no powerful instrumentation or secret alchemy. it's a language, like others, to speak regarding what it's to be human. it's the way to acknowledge each other, to recollect the importance of seeing with kindness and poetry.

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 11:45:19 am »

1.  Very few that I know of are able to survive in the long term if they are not actually good enough to be professional; I do, naturally, limit my observation to the genres of photography bought by professional buyers in industry, commerce etc. and I do not place that mantle over the head of anyone selling to the general public, a public that is usually neither aware of the possibilities nor how much it should feel entitled to expect from anyone calling himself professional. Of course, a big problem here has been the refusal in some countries to enforce professional qualifications as a prime requirement for anyone hanging out his shingle. Nope, it would certainly not gaurantee a world of experts, but it would certainly protect the innocent from the worst excesses of the charlatan.

2.  Some may fall into that trap; for myself, I have often expressed admiration for the work of some people who would never even think of themselves as professional photographers, and have no desire to be one. I've already made my opinion of the misuse of the word 'elitist' plain

3. Some of the very top pros (an elite?) have no sense of business; they employ agents who handle the entire deal on their behalf. Some, on the other hand, are as sharp as new razors. But, I would say that of the fellow pro photographers I've known personally, the majority that succeed do so despite their awful business acumen. I'm afraid I'd have to list myself amongst that grouping. I hated networking, realised that I couldn't fake love for people I did not respect, and thus I found myself working for a small group of guys with whom I think I shared some ideals and a lot of empathy. Sadly, even these people move on, to say nothing of the speed of the flavour of the month... Let's not even touch on the ravages of economy and manipulated social mores.

Rob C

That's a realistic assessment of the fine art photography business scene in my opinion.  I came to the same conclusions myself in regards to photographers who are in the business of selling prints to the general public with a few minor differences.  One of those differences is to replace 'agents' by 'gallery owners' for example. Otherwise the lack of business acumen, the absence of professional requirements to open a business and the confusion about what it means to be 'a professional' are similar.

Alain
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:20:01 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up