Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workflow Suggestions for Vector Artwork on z3200ps  (Read 566 times)

William Chitham

Workflow Suggestions for Vector Artwork on z3200ps
« on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:31 pm »

I have the PS version of the z3200 but have never made any use of the extra functionality. Whenever I have had vector artwork to print I have always rasterized it and run it through Qimage. However, I've been asked to print for two artists who both create cmyk vector artwork in Illustrator so I'm thinking there may be a more efficient workflow that will give me the best possible quality in terms of colour management, line quality, rendering of gradient fills etc. I have the PS3 driver loaded and I have Illustrator. Any suggestions about how to get the best results, in particular, should I colour manage in Illustrator or let the printer do it?

Thanks,

William.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Workflow Suggestions for Vector Artwork on z3200ps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 10:09:00 am »

One rule of thumb here is to raster the image at twice the printer's resolvable resolution of the sake of anti-aliasing. So in this case, raster at 800ppi and send to the printer just like any other photo. One way would be to raster a 800ppi TIFF out of IL. Another would be to raster IL's file in PS and send like any other photo. A third way would be to send the vector file to the printer and hope and pray that it rasters it well.

In these situations it's always informative to test all methods and see the printed results for yourself. The 2nd option - rastering in Photoshop - is a tried and true backup method that service bureaus and prepress depts have relied on for decades. Sans trapping, imposition nd other things, PS is a very capable basic RIP for Adobe's own data and you've got a full suite of reliable color management tools that you can trust, but it's important to raster at exactly the right resolution for your device. If you don't, you'll either get soft edges, poor antialiasing, or both. Do your own testing if you like but I'd suggest that 800ppi would be optimal for your Z.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Workflow Suggestions for Vector Artwork on z3200ps
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:36:52 am »

I have the PS version of the z3200 but have never made any use of the extra functionality. Whenever I have had vector artwork to print I have always rasterized it and run it through Qimage. However, I've been asked to print for two artists who both create cmyk vector artwork in Illustrator so I'm thinking there may be a more efficient workflow that will give me the best possible quality in terms of colour management, line quality, rendering of gradient fills etc. I have the PS3 driver loaded and I have Illustrator. Any suggestions about how to get the best results, in particular, should I colour manage in Illustrator or let the printer do it?

Thanks,

William.

You have to find out which CMYK color space was used in Illustrator in the first place. At what stage the vectors/total image are rasterized is the next decision but can not be kept separate from the CMYK color space knowledge. You can check the CMYK space import choices in the PS driver with printer driver color management setting. Try to avoid any profile to profile conversion then, even if it is between CMYK spaces. Rasterizing in Photoshop can still be done, 600 PPI, CMYK and Photoshop CM setttings with that corresponding CMYK space on, so the color space remains the same between Ilustrator, Photoshop and the HP Z PS driver.  Save as a CMYK Tiff + assigned space and then to the PS driver. This Photoshop route usually gives the least troubles with special fonts you may not have on your system. It may not work as nice with the HP PS driver if that one has to rasterize the fonts, you do not get visual feedback either till the print appears.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Pages: [1]   Go Up