Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image Browsers  (Read 4719 times)

MAR685

Image Browsers
« on: April 17, 2006, 06:37:28 pm »

Need advice.  I have about 17GB of images that I have been keeping in Canon ZoombrowserEX and things are getting out of hand.  Unfortunately, I kept my images in folders according to the camera I used--about 7 different ones.  Therefore, I have, as an example, images of Arizona under 3 different cameras.  I need a better way to do things as I find it hard to find the images I want.  I never have labeled individual images, rather just the folders.  I've been looking at ACDSee8, and Adobe Photo Album 2, as well as the latest ZoombrowserEX version and don't know which I should use.  I hate online instructions but it seems I have to label each photo--am I wrong on this and is there a simpler way to do things?  I know once the system is set, adding new images should be simpler.  Any ideas out there?
Thanks,   Marty Malkin

61Dynamic

• http://
Image Browsers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:54:35 pm »

You don't really need new software. Instead start with a new means of organization. Software can come latter of you even need it.

On that note, I have an article on Basic Image Organization that should give you some ideas where to start. The system I describe in that article is what I use and it has proven to be simple and very expandable.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:54:55 pm by 61Dynamic »

francois

Image Browsers
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 05:09:22 am »

Daniel pointed you in the right direction but if you want to use software to catalog your photos you can look into iView Media (Std and Pro), Photo Mechanic and Adobe LightRoom (still in beta and for Macs but it's supposed to be available for Mac & PC). iView and Photo Mecanic are used by pro and will handle your 17GB of data with ease.

iView Media Pro and  Photo Mechanic have been reviewed here. The article in more than a simple review. Lightroom primer is here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 05:11:17 am by francois »
Francois

MAR685

Image Browsers
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:52 am »

Need advice.  I have about 17GB of images that I have been keeping in Canon ZoombrowserEX and things are getting out of hand.  Unfortunately, I kept my images in folders according to the camera I used--about 7 different ones.  Therefore, I have, as an example, images of Arizona under 3 different cameras.  I need a better way to do things as I find it hard to find the images I want.  I never have labeled individual images, rather just the folders.  I've been looking at ACDSee8, and Adobe Photo Album 2, as well as the latest ZoombrowserEX version and don't know which I should use.  I hate online instructions but it seems I have to label each photo--am I wrong on this and is there a simpler way to do things?  I know once the system is set, adding new images should be simpler.  Any ideas out there?
Thanks,   Marty Malkin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Daniel,

MAR685

Image Browsers
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:19:01 am »

Need advice.  I have about 17GB of images that I have been keeping in Canon ZoombrowserEX and things are getting out of hand.  Unfortunately, I kept my images in folders according to the camera I used--about 7 different ones.  Therefore, I have, as an example, images of Arizona under 3 different cameras.  I need a better way to do things as I find it hard to find the images I want.  I never have labeled individual images, rather just the folders.  I've been looking at ACDSee8, and Adobe Photo Album 2, as well as the latest ZoombrowserEX version and don't know which I should use.  I hate online instructions but it seems I have to label each photo--am I wrong on this and is there a simpler way to do things?  I know once the system is set, adding new images should be simpler.  Any ideas out there?
Thanks,   Marty Malkin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Daniel,
Thanks for your very informative article.  I need to digest it before I take any action but it certainly is thought provoking.  Marty

MAR685

Image Browsers
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:05 am »

Daniel pointed you in the right direction but if you want to use software to catalog your photos you can look into iView Media (Std and Pro), Photo Mechanic and Adobe LightRoom (still in beta and for Macs but it's supposed to be available for Mac & PC). iView and Photo Mecanic are used by pro and will handle your 17GB of data with ease.

iView Media Pro and  Photo Mechanic have been reviewed here. The article in more than a simple review. Lightroom primer is here.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Francois,
Thank you for your advice.  I'm going to check out the demo of iView and see how it goes.  Marty

DarkPenguin

Image Browsers
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 10:50:44 am »

A much cheaper option is idImager.  It was slow to start with but Hert has been speeding it up quite nicely.  He has a faster version just around the corner.

Imatch is also pretty well liked.

Both are about $60.

FYI.

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Image Browsers
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:22 am »

Agree that your underlying conundrum is to find an organizational schema, then figure out what if any software you need to implement it. There are as many organizational schemas as there are photographers!

Peter Krogh's The DAM Book might be a resource for you in coming up with a plan. He uses iView Media Pro with organization heavily based on keywording and other metadata, which is what I do also. Others rely on a folder-based system, with folders for subject matter, client, or some other criteria.

Either way, you are likely going to have to view/touch each of your images and put them into some kind of structure. It's going to entail some trouble for your "legacy" images, but should be easier going forward once you have settled on a plan.
michael sebast

pobrien3

Image Browsers
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 11:53:43 am »

FWIW, my method is to do it all on first download of the card to the computer, using CS2 Bridge. Do your basic culling, then assign keywords, copyright, etc. in the metadata.  You can create templates to ease this, apply them in batch.  I number every image with a simple sequential number (some folk like YYYYMMDDnnnnn), preserving the original filename (there's an option to do this in Bridge).  I then copy all RAW files to DNG and store them on an archive disk, and put all RAW files in another folder (I use a RAID 5 setup so don't copy to CD/DVD). From the RAWs I use Photoshop / Bridge's Image Processor to make small JPEGS for easy viewing.  This way the RAW, DNG and JPEG carry identical metadata and identical file naming / numbering.  I don't need to store by date as this is part of the metadata and can be searched.  Most of this process is batch and automated - very little effort.

For later file manipulation / web / email / printing, I store the files in a separate area, still preserving the original filename and metadata, and I can always find the original from this.

Bridge (or Lightroom) are all you need once you work out a filing / archiving system that is meaningful to you.  As said above, you need to make some effort here - I'd do it as soon as you download when it's less effort, and I'd make use of the embedded metadata.
Peter

Bob Laughton

• http://www.boblaughton.com
Image Browsers
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »

Marty

I'm guessing that your problem is in two parts - first you have to find every existing image easily and then where do you go from here?

Can't offer any advice on the second part, because I'm a messy sod myself when it comes to archiving and everyone has their own way, but as Francois and Mike pointed out, iView MediaPro will take the pain out of your existing searching. PhotoMechanic has a great reputation too, but I don't use it, so can't really comment.

Once you get to grips with iView, you'll wonder how you ever did without it . . . and only 17 gig should be a breeze (unless all your files are only 100k each!)

Cheers

Bob

MAR685

Image Browsers
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 07:51:30 am »

Marty

I'm guessing that your problem is in two parts - first you have to find every existing image easily and then where do you go from here?

Can't offer any advice on the second part, because I'm a messy sod myself when it comes to archiving and everyone has their own way, but as Francois and Mike pointed out, iView MediaPro will take the pain out of your existing searching. PhotoMechanic has a great reputation too, but I don't use it, so can't really comment.

Once you get to grips with iView, you'll wonder how you ever did without it . . . and only 17 gig should be a breeze (unless all your files are only 100k each!)

Cheers

Bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62993\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bob and all the Others,
Thanks for all your helpful comments and for pointing me in a direction, better than no direction as I was going.  I'm going to download some demos and try them with a folder or two and realize that I will have to go over most of my images and either label them or tag them somehow.  Definetly more fun taking pictures and viewing them than archiving them and trying to find some later.
Marty
Pages: [1]   Go Up