Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Cards For Mac Pro (Tower)  (Read 7982 times)

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
Video Cards For Mac Pro (Tower)
« on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »

I have a mid 2012 Mac  Pro (5,1) that I need to beef up for video until I can afford a new 'trash can.' Any suggestions on video cards to help? My editing is done in Premiere Pro and Da Vinci Resolve 12.

OWC offers the Sapphire HD 7950. Anyone using this for editing?

Thanks!
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

HywelPhillips

Re: Video Cards For Mac Pro (Tower)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:32:22 am »

I'm using a GTX 980 (a stock one, not a special Mac one) and it's certainly sped up my video work. Barefeats did a comparison here:

http://barefeats.com/gtx980b.html

and as you can see it comes out a bit ahead of the 7950 for most things. It also runs happily from the MacPro Tower's power supply (some of the other high-end cards like the 980 Ti need additional power supply).

If you've been using a stock graphics card you should certainly get some speed-up for a lot of tasks. I don't know what it is like for Premiere Pro but it made a lot of difference to me for RED Cine and Final Cut Pro X.

Cheers, Hywel Phillips

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:32:37 am »

P.S. the other thing which really helps is to play media back from an internal SSD when editing, especially if you're dealing with 4K footage or raw footage. 

If you've got any spare drive slots in the tower, add an SSD scratch drive or even two in a RAID0 and move project footage over to that while you're actively editing.

Cheers, Hywel

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:45:14 pm »

I'm running an AMD Radeon HD 7970 which shouldn't be far from the OWC Sapphire.
Francois

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 11:55:58 pm »

The GTX 980TI also looks like an interesting option. Does the GTX 980 obstruct the PCIe slot right above it? I've got my OWC Accelsior SSD  boot drive there.

I'm using a GTX 980 (a stock one, not a special Mac one) and it's certainly sped up my video work. Barefeats did a comparison here:

http://barefeats.com/gtx980b.html

and as you can see it comes out a bit ahead of the 7950 for most things. It also runs happily from the MacPro Tower's power supply (some of the other high-end cards like the 980 Ti need additional power supply).

If you've been using a stock graphics card you should certainly get some speed-up for a lot of tasks. I don't know what it is like for Premiere Pro but it made a lot of difference to me for RED Cine and Final Cut Pro X.

Cheers, Hywel Phillips

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 09:52:40 pm »

The GTX 980TI also looks like an interesting option. Does the GTX 980 obstruct the PCIe slot right above it? I've got my OWC Accelsior SSD  boot drive there.

The GTX 980 is a double-width card. But if it is the only GPU you're running, it has to go in slot 1, which is a double-width slot. If you are planning to run 2 GPUs, it will have to go in slot 1 or 2, because it won't do you any good to have all that GPU power if you only give it 4 lanes for the data. If it's in slot 2, you'll lose a slot.

Note: it will run on the Mac's available power. I don't think the HD 9750 will. I think it will need auxiliary power.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 10:13:39 am »

I've recently investigated newer systems, even looking at these people http://create.pro/ to what a trash can takes to make really workable....

Ha! I wish I had known of Create Pro prior to switching to the trash can!

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 01:01:37 pm »

I own one, and think the trash can has been a real failure in the market it serves. It's been out for two years now, and there has not been one new GPU developped for it by anyone. They were sold as upgradeable, but there is nothing to upgrade to. Meanwhile, the Open CL and Cuda graphic options in the PCI world have expanded by leaps and bounds.

Apple seems to like islands. With the exception their short-lived venture into into X-serve (a great product that Apple seems never to have understood) Apple has always seemed to be interested only in creating single systems that stand alone and let one person do a lot of different things. They don't seem to like the idea that people might want to work together, using a variety of software.

Apple also seems to be uncomfortable with the idea that you might want to use their products in ways they didn't have in mind when they designed them.They've now got a lovely set of machines that you can only add function to by hanging a bunch of stuff off them via USB and Thunderbolt, but for the high-end video and scientific communities (who used to be big users of Desktop Macs) it's hard to get beyond an advanced-amateur level of usability with these systems.

Before I bought the trash can, I looked hard at a windows machine, but couldn't face the prospect of moving to new windows versions of all my software. I'm increasingly sorry I didn't bite that bullet at the time. The trash can is absolutely fine for all the photography I do, but for video it has been ... let's just say, "problematic."

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 12:38:37 pm »

Thanks for the comments on the trashcan Mac and it's suitability (or lack thereof) for video work in general. I guess I'll stick with the cheese grater a while longer. Interesting, too, on using the iMac, but I do a lot of Photoshop work and won't give up my NEC monitor.

Probably will go for something like the Sapphire since a double width card like the GTX 980 would bump my OWC Accelsior SSD boot drive from its speedy position in slot 2.

Oh, well, life's a compromise, I've heard...

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 10:25:07 pm »

Thanks for the comments on the trashcan Mac and it's suitability (or lack thereof) for video work in general. I guess I'll stick with the cheese grater a while longer. Interesting, too, on using the iMac, but I do a lot of Photoshop work and won't give up my NEC monitor.

Probably will go for something like the Sapphire since a double width card like the GTX 980 would bump my OWC Accelsior SSD boot drive from its speedy position in slot 2.

Oh, well, life's a compromise, I've heard...

What's in slot 1? Pretty sure that's a double-width slot as well.

vampire

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:13:40 am »

Has anyone tried the Titan X card in the 5.1 Mac Pro? I'm leaning towards getting that for mine. I have the 680 in there now and 4K playback/rendering is slow and choppy. Based on the comments above, I'm wondering if a newer iMac would work as well and maybe be a better option.

Thanks for all the info

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:46 pm »

I'm not sure if the comparison of cards on a PC would carry over to Macs, but this report is interesting:  http://www.learningvideo.com/gtx980ti-video-editing-tests/

Has anyone tried the Titan X card in the 5.1 Mac Pro? I'm leaning towards getting that for mine. I have the 680 in there now and 4K playback/rendering is slow and choppy. Based on the comments above, I'm wondering if a newer iMac would work as well and maybe be a better option.

Thanks for all the info

vampire

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »

Thanks Rob. I think the 980ti would work well, but the Titan X will be more future proof. So I'm still deciding between the two. Which card did you go with?

fredjeang2

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:03 am »

I own one, and think the trash can has been a real failure in the market it serves. It's been out for two years now, and there has not been one new GPU developped for it by anyone. They were sold as upgradeable, but there is nothing to upgrade to. Meanwhile, the Open CL and Cuda graphic options in the PCI world have expanded by leaps and bounds.

Apple seems to like islands. With the exception their short-lived venture into into X-serve (a great product that Apple seems never to have understood) Apple has always seemed to be interested only in creating single systems that stand alone and let one person do a lot of different things. They don't seem to like the idea that people might want to work together, using a variety of software.

Apple also seems to be uncomfortable with the idea that you might want to use their products in ways they didn't have in mind when they designed them.They've now got a lovely set of machines that you can only add function to by hanging a bunch of stuff off them via USB and Thunderbolt, but for the high-end video and scientific communities (who used to be big users of Desktop Macs) it's hard to get beyond an advanced-amateur level of usability with these systems.

Before I bought the trash can, I looked hard at a windows machine, but couldn't face the prospect of moving to new windows versions of all my software. I'm increasingly sorry I didn't bite that bullet at the time. The trash can is absolutely fine for all the photography I do, but for video it has been ... let's just say, "problematic."

Dave? You sounds like if it was irreversible, as an old fox (I know you're Young and Athletic belly-free - not like Michael...)
Looking at the past with a tint of bitterness: "haaa...if I had knew at that time"...
It's not, I beleive, a sort of british mood of the lost empire ?!

I see this emotional conflict with all my Apple friends who want all to switch PC
But simply emotionaly can't and push further to a tomorrow that never comes the inevitable issue.
The Cooter is a perfect example of this unrational obstination.

This is called: attachement and fetishism. Lol.

What you, Apple irreductible people, (or PC resistance) need is a trip to Vancouver.
48 hours of training with Eckart Tolle to get rid off the attachement
Built by the ego that feels safe indentifying itself with a brand
Regarded as cool and artistical.

"it is not the changes themselves that produce suffering,
But the resistance to changes" buddha. (well, more or less
Accuratly traduced)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:42:49 am by fredjeang2 »

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 03:13:14 pm »

Haven't traded up for anything yet. I found that by transcoding footage to ProRes and running it off my OWC Accelsior PCIe SSD boot drive, I get smooth performance in Resolve with my current stock video card in 2012 6 core Mac Pro.

Thanks Rob. I think the 980ti would work well, but the Titan X will be more future proof. So I'm still deciding between the two. Which card did you go with?

vampire

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 07:21:18 pm »

I just ordered the Titan X from MVC, I'll report back once it's up and running. I decided that I may as well get the best of the best, so I wouldn't need to upgrade again.

Thanks for the help

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 05:04:01 am »

One "gotcha" I just experienced which I thought I'd pass on.

Beware of updating Mac OSX with a non-standard graphics card.

I ended up with a black screen.

The reason turned out to be that the NVIDIA driver for my GTX 980 on Mac OSX 10.10.4 was different from (and apparently incompatible with) the driver for 10.10.5.

Fortunately, I still had my Radeon card that came with the MacPro. I swapped to that and all went well, allowing me to complete the OS install, install the correct NVIDIA driver, reboot and work as normal.

I don't know if you can pre-install the correct version of the driver... but my advice is to keep your old graphics card. You may just need to swap it back in to complete an OSX upgrade. If I hadn't had it I'd have effectively bricked my Mac.

Cheers, Hywel
Pages: [1]   Go Up