Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import does not recognize Lightroom keyword hierarchy?  (Read 1189 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Import does not recognize Lightroom keyword hierarchy?
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:27:49 pm »

When I import and image, or group of images, from a Lightroom library with Lightroom's hierarchal keywords applied, I get all the imported images keywords as additional keywords in my CO9 catalog keyboard library. But they are not hierarchal - just flat.

Is that expected?

If there is any existing keyword in CO9's Keyword Library that matches a Lightroom keyword, it is not used - a new keyword is created at the top level of CO9's Keyword Library, instead.

It sure would be nice if CO9 knew it already had a keyword and used its rather than duplicating the keyword at the top level.

Is this just me, or are others confused about keywords when an image with keywords already applied is imported?

This is making a king-sized mess out of my CO9 Keyword Library that has to be laboriously cleaned up after every import from Lightroom! :(

Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

sebbe

Re: Import does not recognize Lightroom keyword hierarchy?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 02:49:16 am »

I experienced the same. My learnings are, that I can only use one tool for keywording, but all to search after keywords.
I'm still not sure, if I should switch to C1v9 for keywording and start from the scratch. It would take me a few weeks, but if it works, I can get rid of LR for the keywording.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 06:29:43 am »

I experienced the same. My learnings are, that I can only use one tool for keywording, but all to search after keywords.
I'm still not sure, if I should switch to C1v9 for keywording and start from the scratch. It would take me a few weeks, but if it works, I can get rid of LR for the keywording.

My intent would be to migrate away from Lightroom once CO's DAM features grow enough. I've never really felt comfortable in Lightroom after having to go there with the loss of Aperture.
Bob Rockefeller

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:53:49 am »

Given that one can migrate to different applications over time or multiple at the same time, it might be useful to create a master list of keywords (if possible with hierarchy) that can be imported in various applications with minimal subsequent editing.

I think there will always be some incompatibility between different applications, but when they allow to import e.g. (comma delimited) text files the amount of additional work can be somewhat simplified. Of course assigning those keywords is an application specific activity. Some more keywording standardization, e.g. in an XMP type of structured format, would be nice. The IPTC offers suggestions for Metadata with their type of imaging needs.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 07:01:31 am »

Given that one can migrate to different applications over time or multiple at the same time, it might be useful to create a master list of keywords (if possible with hierarchy) that can be imported in various applications with minimal subsequent editing.

While that's certainly not a bad idea, CO should be "smart" enough to read Lightroom's keywords and import them. And it think it is/does.

The problem I'm seeing is what CO does with those keywords. Instead of matching them up with existing keywords in the CO Keyword Library, it seems to be mixing and matching. Sometimes matching a keyword in its proper place in the existing hierarchy and sometimes not, creating a new, unnecessary, keyword at the root of the Keyword Library.

So it's the worst of both worlds. CO could have ignored Lightroom's keywords and "forced" me to re-apply them from the CO Keyword Library. Or it could properly match imported keywords with the existing Keyword Library. It appears to do a little of both. :(
Bob Rockefeller

mgrayson

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 08:32:23 am »

There was a bit of incompatibility between C1v8 and v9 keywords. I now keep a master list as a text file and import it as a library to C1v9 as needed. Not a big deal, but I like text files.

--Matt
Pages: [1]   Go Up