Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple 20 inch cinema replacement.  (Read 2599 times)

elolaugesen

Apple 20 inch cinema replacement.
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:42:37 am »

My desk with an Apple 20Inch Cinema  and an EIZO CG22W(92% RGB) is now without the Cinema screen that suddenly died.   
I am looking at To add another EIZO CS240 instead (99% RGB).    My primary work with the system is printing giclees for artists of original art work.  Paintings, collages, etc etc.   I capture the images to print myself so I control the workflow.  I use an Epson 3880 with epson inks running off an Mac Mini 2012 late 2.3 Quad with 16gb and an SSD (installed by myself).  For Calibration I use a Spyder 4.  (may be replaced by a Spyder 5)

The Eizo on the desk have 8000 plus hours behind it.

I have looked at the specs and like the CS240  It seems to do the job that I do.  and the 222 would then be my second screen.....

Is there anything I should consider?  Are there any problems with the CS240?    (Spyder always seems to be a concern to everyone but has worked for me).

In the UK the next alternative is the CX241 (£250 More) and I do not see any advantages to me?  (D.Fosse seems to like the CS240/CX240)

Lastly  what is the diff    CS240  vs  CX240

Thank you   Elo

aaronleitz

Re: Apple 20 inch cinema replacement.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 10:59:15 am »

NEC is worth looking at as well. The NEC PA242 is similar in price to the Eizo you mentioned. Both are going to be better than your Apple display (I had a 20" and a 30" cinema display for years).

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 01:27:59 pm »

(D.Fosse seems to like the CS240/CX240)

I certainly do. The CX is a stripped-down CG, minus internal calibration sensor, hood, and a bunch of video-specific features. For a photographer, the CX is all you need. Panel and panel technologies are identical.

The CS is further stripped down, this time minus the correction sensor, stabilization circuits to shorten warmup time, and panel polarizing film. But basic panel quality still remains top notch. The CS series has to be the best value for money currently on the market. They have saved money in all the right places, never compromising basic performance.

Whatever you decide, make sure you get the edition with Colornavigator included.

The screen polarizer in CG/CX is something they obviously spent some effort and money on. Most traditional IPS panels have a very strong white glow when seen from the sides. Here's a CX240 in a dark room, note the black border around the image:

elolaugesen

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:59 pm »

Yes... color navigator is included..  the cx240 is available for £100 more is it worth it?

D Fosse

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 03:47:24 pm »

Well, I don't have a CS so no direct experience. What I use is a CG246 and a CX240.

The CX240 is by now replaced with the 241, but what the improvements are in the new model I don't really know. Probably a different panel with slightly wider gamut.

Tricky choice. I really like the polarizer in the CX - I have worked with IPS monitors that had so much off-angle glow it started to affect the corners at normal working distances, and that was quite distracting. I don't think the CS is nearly that bad, however. One of my co-workers has one, and I haven't noticed anything there. She loves it, BTW.

All in all, after some hesitation, I'd probably go for a new CS over a previous CX.

elolaugesen

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 04:13:20 pm »

my gut feel is that we will soon see a new generation of afforable monitors exceeding anything we have today.  When 2 to 3 years.  Then I would probably want one of them.   i have been in the tech world for many ? years. Managing,selecting equipment/software/test data centre too for very large bank,   But this is my own retirement business own money.   Gut feel tells me to get monitor for short term then......?....???

Thank you for input.....   We all need information, experiences ..and other views....   Cheers elo

D Fosse

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:54:48 am »

my gut feel is that we will soon see a new generation of afforable monitors exceeding anything we have today.  When 2 to 3 years.  Then I would probably want one of them.

Yes, probably. But I think the primary development we'll see now, is "normalizing" the price level of UHD/4K. Then I will want one of those.

elolaugesen

Eizo CS240 replaced my Apple 20 inch cinema replacement NOW?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »

Bought an EIZO CS240.    Calibrated it and it now sits next to My EIZO CG222w.   

Will start using it next week....  Images look great

Cheers elo
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:32:04 am by elolaugesen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up