Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inkjet Paper Resolution  (Read 3473 times)

concentrik

Inkjet Paper Resolution
« on: December 05, 2015, 12:15:27 pm »

Can anyone point me to authoritative tests of paper resolution - which is the 'sharpest' (matt) dndbkxpaper?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Inkjet Paper Resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 12:23:25 pm »

Can anyone point me to authoritative tests of paper resolution - which is the 'sharpest' (matt) dndbkxpaper?

Hi,

Although I don't have seen any comprehensive tests, I do have a free test image, a tool you can use to do your own tests.

The medium/paper is but one factor in resulting sharpness, ink quality, printhead alignment, paper transport accuracy, printhead distance to medium, relative humidity, printer driver settings, etc, all play a role, and things can change over time.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

concentrik

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:48:56 pm »

Hi,

The medium/paper is but one factor in resulting sharpness, ink quality, printhead alignment, paper transport accuracy, printhead distance to medium, relative humidity, printer driver settings, etc, all play a role, and things can change over time.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart, I'll take a look at that.  I understand that there are a number of factors, some of which I can't control (transport accuracy, printhead distance, RH) - but there seems to be considerable variation between papers when all other factors are kept the same, and I was wondering if certain types/makes stand out as being much sharper.  Epson Enhanced Matt for example, looks positively soft compared to Olmec (UK brand).

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 12:59:56 pm »

Thanks Bart, I'll take a look at that.  I understand that there are a number of factors, some of which I can't control (transport accuracy, printhead distance, RH) - but there seems to be considerable variation between papers when all other factors are kept the same, and I was wondering if certain types/makes stand out as being much sharper.

That's correct, some papers suffer from ink diffusion much more than others.

Some time ago picked up a sample booklet on a trade-fair from Hahnemühle, which had small font text printed on it, and that demonstrated the differences quite well. That still makes it difficult to compare between brands, so that's why I developed the test target. The resolution differences for short viewing distances can be significant.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up