Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My take on the new Epson SC-P600 printer and Ultra Chrome HD inkset  (Read 1265 times)

Rand47

I've been using the venerable Epson Pro 4880 for the last five years or so, and its stable mate for the last couple of years has been an Epson R3000 (same ink set).  I passed on the 4900 out of fear!  LOL 

I ordered a new SC-P600 and it arrived today.  Prior to setting up the SC-P600 I printed six images from one of my client's files on the R3000, after a head alignment to make sure it was at its optimum. 

This client's work tends to be dark with lots of subtle detail in deep shadows and is both monochrome and color.  To keep everything comparable I used Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster for both sets of prints, and used Epson's supplied profiles for each printer.  I also did not soft proof as I wanted to eliminate any variables/differences that I might inadvertently "dial in" via soft proofing.

Conclusions:

All of the differences are subtle, but VERY REAL.  My conclusions are side by side "observation based only" under Solux 4700K inspection lights.

• Dmax definitely better
    • Detail in deep shadows is noticeably better - a real boon for this particular client!
    • Yellows look "cleaner" in the fall foliage image I printed.
    • Tonal transitions appear smoother, subtle but noticeable.
    • Last but not least the image sharpness is noticeably better - this was a real surprise.

My R3000 will now be put into "traveling workshop duty" for my upcoming local Lightroom workshops.

The 4880 is such a bulletproof tank that I'm hesitant to swap it out for the SC-P800 (plastic fantastic) but with these observable improvements I think it may go up for sale shortly.  (Anyone in SoCal want an immaculate 4880 w/ Epson stand?)

Given the reviews I've read, I'm actually surprised that the improvements are this noticeable.  For me, very much worth the upgrade.  Certainly evolution, not revolution, but significant.

Good on you Epson.  Also, installation and setup on my W7 Pro machine was typically Epson simple and straightforward, and the printer driver is pretty much functionally identical to the R3000.

That's my .02 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Jager

• E vestigio
Re: My take on the new Epson SC-P600 printer and Ultra Chrome HD inkset
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:26:45 am »

Couldn't agree more, Rand.  Well said.

Jimbo57

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:55:44 am »

My R3000 "died" a couple of weeks ago after 4 years good service. A repair, involving a replacement print head, would have cost almost as much as Amazon were charging for a new P600 - so that seemed a "no-brainer".

I haven't yet noticed any significant difference in print quality but very happy to read your comparative analysis.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 06:00:21 am by Jimbo57 »

wattsies2

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 04:25:37 pm »

My experience with the P800 is similar. Subtle but important improvements, particularly with DMax and shadow detail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up