Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caitlyn, at the memorial ceremony  (Read 823 times)

Mjollnir

Caitlyn, at the memorial ceremony
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:22 pm »

I don't usually shoot people other than some rare studio work; shooting them outside and doing so in an improv sort of manner is something I almost never do.

Caitlyn is my 4 year old niece, and this was shot at the memorial/dedication/ashes scattering of my brother-in-law's parents, 10 years after their passing, the day after Thanksgiving at our family ranch.

A rather somber occasion, but not really funerary, since so much time had passed. She never knew them and doesn't really have much of a concept of death, ceremony or passing yet, so she was truly a bright little counterpoint to all the other adults there, and popped up quite unexpectedly under my lens. I tried to process it to match the impression she made.

CC welcome, as I rarely do this.  I've heard already that some would like to have seen this shot at a lower angle, but I'm almost 6'4", she's hardly 3', and as I said, she popped up out of nowhere.

Caitlyn by tanngrisnir3, on Flickr

bassman51

Re: Caitlyn, at the memorial ceremony
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:01:32 pm »

Other than crouching down to get closer to her eye level, I'd say: an adorable picture of an adorable child to remind you that the circle of life goes on. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 12:58:41 am »

I think it's perfect just as it is. What a face to brighten anybody's day!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 09:03:26 am »

I've heard already that some would like to have seen this shot at a lower angle

I think the angle is perfect. Lower might introduce the bright sky or distracting background objects.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:22 am »

popped up quite unexpectedly / I think it's perfect just as it is. What a face to brighten anybody's day! (Quoting Mjollnir and Eric (abundantly perceptive as is his ever "sense" norm)

Wholeheartedly agree with both these sentiments...and as you said processing in an effort to allow the viewer something of that magic...

should I wish anything slightly adjusted, it would be to, within a selection of he smiling face to remove somewhat the pallor of the blue cast, warming a bit, to really allow the hope/life she radiates to really shine.

Captivating! Glad that you didn't drop down to make this shot, as this composition certainly does feed the "touch on the shoulder" sense of the spirit arising from the tiny package that is this small and radiant child. Kudos!
A common woman~

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 09:39:28 am »

If in the original photo there was a little more space under her feet I think you could let it there, anyway the photo is very good as it is.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 10:04:47 am »

Cute kid. Nice backlight.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 12:04:39 pm »

Lovely, just the way it is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up