Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E-M1 v4.0 electronic shutter oddities  (Read 2860 times)

jrf@ursamaris.org

E-M1 v4.0 electronic shutter oddities
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:40:05 am »

In program + auto-ISO mode, for any given exposure value, the camera calculates values for aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  As the exposure value goes down, limits are hit in this order (with the M.Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 ):

• Aperture opens until it hits maximum, f2.8 for the lens in question.
  • Then, the shutter speed drops, stopping at 1/60th with the lens in question, and the flash "Slow Limit" set to 1/60th.
  • Then, the ISO climbs to the whatever upper bound is set, I use 3200 typically.
  • ISO and aperture are at hard limits, so the shutter speed drops.

With the mechanical or first-curtain electronic + manual shutter, this behavior is consistent with previous firmware versions. But with the new fully electronic shutter, at step 2, the shutter speed drops to an eyebrow raising 1/13th before the camera resorts to cranking up the ISO.

Speculation on whether this is a bug or a feature?  I'm inclined to think of it as a bug, unless getting the mechanical shutter out of the picture, the stabilization is that much better.  But leaning toward the bug side, even if that were true, 1/13th is rarely appropriate for any subject that moves.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 11:58:18 am by jrf@ursamaris.org »

AlterEgo

Re: E-M1 v4.0 electronic shutter oddities
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:59:57 am »

1/13th is rarely appropriate for any subject that moves.
so is the "electronic shutter"... it is a rolling one  ;D - so I bet the firmware developers were not counting on people really using it for moving targets, but rather for still life or so + trust in IBIS/OIS in the absence of any shutter shock (not that 1/13 is exposure time where shutter shock does any damage)

b_rubenstein

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 02:53:18 pm »

The electronic (silent) shutter doesn't make use of the flash "Slow Limit" value. I have found that not having any mechanical parts moving in the camera makes it possible to use lower shutter speeds; particularly in conjunction with IBIS. I've never had any problem hand holding shots with the 12-40/2.8 with any of the OM-D bodies down to 1/15 sec. when IBIS is used. Freezing subject movement is the important reason for using a higher shutter speed.

I have also found that V4 now removes all trace of SS when the 0 Sec. delay setting is used with the mechanical shutter.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »

I am able to replicate this issue on my camera.  It's definitely odd behavior.  I am getting it to give me 1/13th even at ISO 200 indoors with Auto-ISO.  Very odd.  All other modes function perfectly.  Olympus cameras I have found to be excellent at choosing exposure versus ISO values as well as white balance.  This is definitely something Olympus might need to take a look into.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

robcee

• Eclectic Shootist
    • robcee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 08:54:37 am »

I find using the electronic shutter a bit odd in practice. The total lack of any physical feedback is unsettling. The rolling shutter effect on anything moving makes it problematic in a busy environment.

I find the EM1 pretty quiet even with the shutter. I imagine I'll only be using the electronic shutter in very fringe, controlled settings.

And as this is my first post, (yay! welcome, me!) I am aghast at the ridiculous hoops I have to go through before I can submit this. Really, Kevin? Really? I've heard of captchas but this is ridiculous. Especially for a subscription only site.
Pages: [1]   Go Up