Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 645Z to Sinar 4x5  (Read 6506 times)

Phil Indeblanc

645Z to Sinar 4x5
« on: December 02, 2015, 08:06:47 pm »

Has anyone seen or tried a 645z adapted to a Sinar 4x5 lens board?

This looks like something I want to do.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Theodoros

Re: 645Z to Sinar 4x5
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:19:21 pm »

Has anyone seen or tried a 645z adapted to a Sinar 4x5 lens board?

This looks like something I want to do.

It would be  unwise to so... The P645 mounting distance of lenses is (with the Bronica ETR/ETRSi) by FAR the longest among all 6x4.5 cameras... It's almost where 6x6 is starting... This means that P645 lenses can be mounted on the appropriate adapter on other cameras and work just the same as if it was P645 mount or not and that possible further adapting of larger format lenses on the P645 mount would be less stable and far more difficult to make...

tsjanik

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:51:39 am »

can you translate that to English :-)
sorry, not sure why I had to read it twice, yet still not following. 

If the *mount protrudes even 1/2" or less/? it should be enough to mount the camera

like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-DSLR-Digital-Back-Adapter-For-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-K3-K5-K7-K20D-K50-/171565987266?hash=item27f22135c2:g:9h4AAOSw2XFUfdug
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:28:21 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 01:52:51 am »

You can try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150755497910?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ahh....yes, thanks...same as I found.  It looks like a great way to go. Why you no like Theo :-) ?

It should be like having a large DB on the back with live view and your basic manual functions. But with the great dual function that you can get out on the field and use it almost like a DSLR

I haven't purchased the 645Z yet, so making sure this will work well before I do the dive. I was considering a Hass or Credo 50...equal DB's
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:25:40 am by Phil Indeblanc »

E_Edwards

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 06:37:58 am »

Phil,

You say you are considering the Credo 50. I've had it in the studio for a few days (on a P3) to test and on the strength of the results I ordered one on Monday.

It works well with USB3 and I was quite amazed at how quickly the pictures come into Capture One! Picture quality is good too, as well as tethered Live View on the monitor and I will be using it initially with my P2 and a few Rodenstock lenses which I am having converted to the Sinar e-shutter, which I find much nicer than my current Rollei Control-S.(but alas, extremely expensive).

I am using El Capitan with a new Mac Mini with SSD drive,  plenty fast, it all works.
I didn't consider the Hass, because I wanted to shoot using Capture One and because I have had 2 Aptus 65's since the time they came out, about 9 years ago, and they have been superb, not a single problem and the Peartree guys and Yair here in London have always been helpful.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to hear some opinions.

(BTW, I have a Mamiya 645 that I've never used, other than to test it initially, it came with the Aptus as a package, and also have the Mamiya 120 Macro, all unused/mint, I am not really a medium format guy, I will sell these in the near future when I find the inclination to bother)

Edward
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:47:45 am by E_Edwards »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 07:54:34 am »

Thanks Edward,

Yes, I thought out of these that share the same sensor the 645z would be most useful and serve more purpose. The 645z used is around $4K. Credo50 is sometimes more.
I guess I can mount the Credo on the RZ I have. I have a RZ67II (not "D" /digital) full kit, but the thing is heavy. And I might want to be using the D version(?) it may make some differences, and that is $1K more needed.

I thought C1 would take 645Z files? I hope it would as I would prefer it over LR in some instances, but I never tried a Pentax converter. Maybe I have to work in DxO /? 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:55:27 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Theodoros

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:04:50 pm »

Ahh....yes, thanks...same as I found.  It looks like a great way to go. Why you no like Theo :-) ?

It should be like having a large DB on the back with live view and your basic manual functions. But with the great dual function that you can get out on the field and use it almost like a DSLR

I haven't purchased the 645Z yet, so making sure this will work well before I do the dive. I was considering a Hass or Credo 50...equal DB's

My bad.. the way I've put it is difficult for one to follow the meaning of it... What I am saying isn't not to avoid using P645 lenses (as some could conclude by reading it) but rather to use another wide enough adapter like M645 or C645 which have about 7mm (!!! that's a lot) shorter flange distance and then use another adapter as to mount the P645 lenses on the mount... This way, one has much wider choice of lenses as he can still use the P645 ones, but other 645 with shorter mounting flange too...

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »

can you translate that to English :-)
sorry, not sure why I had to read it twice, yet still not following. 

If the lens board mount protrudes even 1/2" or less/? it should be enough to mount.

like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-DSLR-Digital-Back-Adapter-For-4x5-Large-Format-Camera-K3-K5-K7-K20D-K50-/171565987266?hash=item27f22135c2:g:9h4AAOSw2XFUfdug

Now it's my turn to be confused... Why do you call a camera mount board as "lens board" Phil? ...A lens board takes ...lenses! not cameras!

EDIT:.... anyway, the more distance one puts between the sensor and lens rear element, the less the choice of lenses.... The Z's lens mounting is about 70mm from the sensor, if one adds a thick camera mount and given the rear standard board thickness, one starts 10cm from sensor... that's a lot to start with... and one has to add the minimum possible distance  between front standard and rear standard on top!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:23:35 pm by Theodoros »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 06:28:22 pm »

I will strickly be using Rod and Scheider lenses in this setup; 180 or 120

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:03:46 pm »

So anyone see any issues with this setup?  I'm only using the 4x5 for tabletop macro work. This would be great as I can take the camera and use it easily as a DSLR outdoors and such. VS getting a IQ V mount, or Credo50, or the Hass.

And they are the same sensor, so I think the files would be very much alike as I would be using my 4x5 lens when doing studio work.

Only thing is the raw conversion.  What converters develop Oentax 645z files? (Besides Raw Dev, Therapy and the "exotics")

Christoph B.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:55 pm »

For macro/micro stuff it should work without any problems (assuming you use the built-in camera shutter).

You can develop the Pentax files with CaptureOne (I think), Adobe Camera Raw (incl. Lightroom)... but from what I've heard you need a good profile.

But tethering isn't supported by any of them - you'll have to find away around that, there are a few options like using Capture Fix and others.

tsjanik

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 09:27:12 pm »

You can find good profiles here (thanks to torger):

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=104199.msg863829#msg863829

Keep in mind that the 645Z body will block any light far off from perpendicular to the sensor, so long lenses should be OK.

If you try this, please report your results.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 11:45:45 pm »

For macro/micro stuff it should work without any problems (assuming you use the built-in camera shutter).

You can develop the Pentax files with CaptureOne (I think), Adobe Camera Raw (incl. Lightroom)... but from what I've heard you need a good profile.

But tethering isn't supported by any of them - you'll have to find away around that, there are a few options like using Capture Fix and others.

Phase One's Capture One supports many third party small-format cameras (Canon, Nikon, Sony etc) and their own medium-format cameras. It does not support third-party medium-format cameras like the Pentax 645Z.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 12:05:57 am by Doug Peterson »

Christoph B.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 05:52:12 am »

Phase One's Capture One supports many third party small-format cameras (Canon, Nikon, Sony etc) and their own medium-format cameras. It does not support third-party medium-format cameras like the Pentax 645Z.

I thought C1 works with the DNG files from the pentax cameras?

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2015, 03:48:56 pm »

You can find good profiles here (thanks to torger):

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=104199.msg863829#msg863829

Keep in mind that the 645Z body will block any light far off from perpendicular to the sensor, so long lenses should be OK.

If you try this, please report your results.

I was looking to use 4x5 lenes....primarily 120, 180, and sometimes a 90.

I kind of get qhat your saying as the sensor is recessed in the camera "box" vs sensor being exposed to the area of the bellows that light can be entering at much wider angles. But for studio work the light control is on the product and this maybe a non issue, but I'm not sure.

So there is no tether?  Doesn't Pentax has a dev app with tether?

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »

I thought C1 works with the DNG files from the pentax cameras?

It does not. There is a hack someone put out there, but I would not suggest this for a professional workflow. It alters the raw file and may stop working in any given version.

Joe Towner

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 06:53:46 pm »

So there is no tether?  Doesn't Pentax has a dev app with tether?

Tether is an after thought.  There is USB3 which requires a plugin, or the Flucard, which is like an EyeFi and I never got it working.

http://dslrsoftware.com/tethered_shoot_lr6_645z_macosx.php
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6462875572/ricoh-updates-pentax-645z-firmware-for-image-transmitter-2-software
t: @PNWMF

Ken R

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 08:57:00 pm »

I will strickly be using Rod and Scheider lenses in this setup; 180 or 120

If you can swing it you will LOVE a PhaseOne IQ150 back. The Credo 50 is similar with a few less features (which includes current incompatibility with the new Phaseone XF camera system). The IQ250 and IQ350 offer wifi and full compatibility with the XF camera in the case of the IQ350.

For use with a tech camera the IQ150 is the best value when you consider all factors, specially in Hasselblad H or Phase/Mamiya mount.

Do not underestimate the importance of software/system integration specially when working tethered. The IQ backs and CaptureOne software work VERY reliably and fast. It is a joy to use tethered. The best tethered workflow bar none.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 05:19:59 am »

If you can swing it you will LOVE a PhaseOne IQ150 back. The Credo 50 is similar with a few less features (which includes current incompatibility with the new Phaseone XF camera system). The IQ250 and IQ350 offer wifi and full compatibility with the XF camera in the case of the IQ350.

For use with a tech camera the IQ150 is the best value when you consider all factors, specially in Hasselblad H or Phase/Mamiya mount.

Do not underestimate the importance of software/system integration specially when working tethered. The IQ backs and CaptureOne software work VERY reliably and fast. It is a joy to use tethered. The best tethered workflow bar none.

I would, but I don't have extra for a body, so the 645Z would be great. Yes, I do value software, and I think I would be OK with LR for developing.
Does DXO or others offer processing? The sync speed at 125 maybe low but expected for a 645?

P45 with Mamiya bodies are in the price range, but that would be a very different sensor.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up