Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Specific Defaults gone with every s/d  (Read 4377 times)

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Camera Specific Defaults gone with every s/d
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:50:27 pm »

Starting with Lightroom 6.3 suddenly my camera specific import setting all go back to the Adobe default every time I shut down/restart the program.
Main reason to use the automatic import settings them is assigning my own DIY colour profile as well as some other minor develop tweaks.

I'm not using camera serial # specific nor iso specific import settings, just one for every camera type and all iso's

This didn't happen with LR6.1 or earlier. Anything I'm missing or any tips I can try to make them work as before?

My temporary work around is a preset for every camera that I apply upon import, but would like to go back to the way it worked with 6.1 and earlier.
pieter, aka pegelli

eliedinur

Re: Camera Specific Defaults gone with every s/d
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:16:33 pm »

I also noticed yesterday that all my personalized defaults have reverted to the "factory default" with the update to 6.3. I don't think that there will be any alternative to manually setting them all up again.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

pegelli

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:24:01 am »

When I set them up again and then shut down and restart the program they're again gone and reverted to the adobe default :(.
Does the same happen with your system?
pieter, aka pegelli

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:51:22 am »

If I understand the issue, all fine on this end, Mac OS. I have an import for my 5DMII with a specific DNG profile, another for iPhone images with a keyword. They stick.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

pegelli

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 10:08:59 am »

Thanks Andrew.

Anybody else on Windows 8.1 who does (or does not) have the problem?

I have now also reported the problem to Adobe, hope they can find an answer.
pieter, aka pegelli

jpegman

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 11:04:15 am »

I'm on Win 8.1 and LR 2015.3 and have no problem with my personalized default presets sticking.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31:25 am »

Quote "I'm not using camera serial # specific nor iso specific import settings, just one for every camera type and all iso's"
I do not see how you would do that without checking the "Camera serial # specific setting. See the screen capture.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

pegelli

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 04:10:22 pm »

Quote "I'm not using camera serial # specific nor iso specific import settings, just one for every camera type and all iso's"
I do not see how you would do that without checking the "Camera serial # specific setting. See the screen capture.
Hi Denis, by leaving that one unchecked it should be camera type specific (at least that how it worked with LR 6.1 and earlier).
But you gave me an idea to test and see if checking that solves the problem, I have only one camera of each type so making it serial # specific is no big deal (unless I get a second one or loaner)

EDIT: Nope, that also doesn't solve the problem. I can set the import defaults and it works like a charm within the same lightroom session, but as soon as I shut down and restart it's back to the Adobe LR defaults :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:18:16 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 07:49:54 pm »

Hi Denis, by leaving that one unchecked it should be camera type specific (at least that how it worked with LR 6.1 and earlier).
But you gave me an idea to test and see if checking that solves the problem, I have only one camera of each type so making it serial # specific is no big deal (unless I get a second one or loaner)

EDIT: Nope, that also doesn't solve the problem. I can set the import defaults and it works like a charm within the same lightroom session, but as soon as I shut down and restart it's back to the Adobe LR defaults :(
My only other thought is, same Catalog??
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:21:46 am »

I'm not seeing this problem, but the defaults are stored in xmp files in a Camera Raw folder, not in the catalogue.

On Windows 7 the folder is C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Defaults, so take a look at its contents. Maybe there's a problem writing to this folder?

John

pegelli

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:56 am »

Thanks John, I took a look at that folder/xmp file. Everything seemed normal but to test I moved the xmp file with the presets out of this folder. Started lightroom and created another default import preset, which created a new xmp file. It worked fine (pressing "reset" maintained the parameters of the preset). Then I shut down and restarted Lightroom and again pressing "reset" on the same file reset all the parameters back to the Adobe default. I then did the ultimate test and imported another file from the same camera and again it imported with the default settings.

I then opened the xmp file with a text editor and all the parameters as I set them in the default are in there, it just seems Lightroom is not reading this xmp file when starting up.

One step closer to pinpointing the problem, but not solved yet :(
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 10:12:11 am »

So in that folder, you saw the creation of that new xmp file? As a test, why not try removing all xmp files from that folder, then restarting Lr and repeating the process? One thing I am thinking is that it may be reading another xmp file, but I don't think they are saved anywhere else.

What are your settings in Prefs, Presets? Store Presets with Catalog?

John

pegelli

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32:44 am »

Tried that (there was one other xmp file in the folder) and now I took them both out.

The first was recreated by starting up lightroom, the second by recreating my own default import setting.
Within the same session everything worked as intended, but after shutting down/restarting lightroom it was the same old problem (adobe default import settings).

I'm not storing my presets with the catalog, I like using them in all my catalogs (only 2) so I have not checked that box in the preferences.

What also frustrates me a bit is that I posted this as a problem on the photoshop.com forum and I am getting no reaction from adobe whatsoever  :(
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 10:43:42 am »

The Camera Raw forum might be the best place.

You're not doing anything odd like trying a profile with an earlier process version? What about Prefs, Presets, Reset all Develop Settings, then restarting Lr? You might try optimising the catalogue, though I think this is all stored externally. Yes, I'm flapping around a bit, but if one of these works....

John

pegelli

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 10:58:26 am »

Thanks for brainstorming, but this morning I already did a complete preferences reset (starting up LR with Alt-Shift) and that didn't solve the problem.

6.1 was operating normally, it started after updating to 6.3. Everything is in process 2012 (pictures as well as the profiles generated)

I just did a simple test, with 100 clarity as the only changed setting and made that my default import setting. Worked perfect when using reset on a different picture as well as importing a new file. After shutting down/starting up that was gone again. Both reset as well as import gave the default adobe import with 0 clarity.
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 11:05:33 am »

For the moment I can't think of anything more. I took a raw file and went through the same process, setting it to B&W and with a profile, and it survived after restarting Lr. I haven't noticed anything odd happening in this area, though it's not something I continually change.

pegelli

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 11:12:07 am »

John, maybe I haven't explained correctly, the settings on the image survive after stopping/starting Lightroom. Only the default (camera specific) import settings get reset to the Adobe default.

I also don't change these default import settings often, I just set them up once with a camera color profile and a few very minor develop settings some time ago and that was it, it worked flawless until LR 6.1 (used 6.2 too short to have noticed the problem) and now it's no longer working in 6.3
pieter, aka pegelli

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 11:36:29 am »

Sorry, what I meant was that my new default ("it") survived after restarting Lr. So after restarting, I reset the image and it was restored to the Fuji Velvia profile with the B&W adjustments that would be equivalent to your clarity.

John

pegelli

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 03:28:08 am »

OK, all clear John, I just wanted to be sure since I know that if I understand a problem very well my stories about them don't always reflect the same clarity  :o

But the problem remains, and still no answer from Adobe on my problem report  >:(
pieter, aka pegelli

wslam

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up