Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The state of all thing LR  (Read 7138 times)

stevebri

The state of all thing LR
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:21:52 am »

Luckily for me I've been v busy and have been offline for months, I had just downloaded LR 6 stand alone, installed it, realised how rubbish it was and just carried on using 5.7 for my work...

I came back online yesterday, wow... I tried to update 6 and 'give it a go' over the holidays... Adobe updater failed to update, online chat support failed miserably and told me to basically **** off to the forums for answers...

As I sit here wanting to use a product I spent money buying, it's beyond useless... I like many others don't have time during a busy week to 'chat' to a random computer, or to navigate and avoid the traps of being sold a CC product, to find the updated software...  Is it me or is Adobe not unlike Apple, becoming a paranoid joke...!

The idea of actually helping or wanting to help allied to actually knowing a product seems beyond them.

Many years ago us photographers new to the high cost of digital had shall we say copies of a program not designed for photographers called photoshop, very expensive, very powerful, quite complicated and a world leader is its ability and how stable it was.. Adobe had many people using it for free and not contributing a cent.  Fast forward to Lightroom, a program designed for photographers and priced at a much more realistic price, and hey... we all bought it, and loved it in the main...

Seems to me they have taken the money and done a runner...

Rubbish product support, rubbish product rollout...

Film anyone...?

IS it just me or are Adobe getting even worse...?

Steve

stevebri

Re: The state of all thing LR
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:29:57 am »

wow wow wow...!!!!

Digging deeper into the forum posts it's all horrible... Adobe seems to get WORSE...!

Unless anyone can offer a solution I'll stay with 5.7....

Steve

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:53:05 am »

It's just whining. Works fine here, always has done.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 08:04:25 am »

It's just whining. Works fine here, always has done.

John, so what you are saying is that the initial release needing bug fixes, and the updater not working, and the support not working, is all due to the customer, and that he is a whiner? It works for you, so everybody else just shut up. Classy.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:34 am »

John, so what you are saying is that the initial release needing bug fixes, and the updater not working, and the support not working, is all due to the customer, and that he is a whiner? It works for you, so everybody else just shut up. Classy.

Cheers,
Bart

No, Bart, that is what you are saying, so "classy" yourself.

ButchM

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:59 am »

No, Bart, that is what you are saying, so "classy" yourself.

I'm not sure who is showing more class ... but ... was your inclusion of the editorial opinion of "It's just whining." really necessary?

There were many, many legitimate complaints, disappointments and shortcomings involved in Lr v6.x thus far. While not universal in occurrence or acceptance ... still legitimate in many respects.

I'm not sure how labeling these issues as 'whining' benefits anyone involved  or how much 'class' stating such is added to the conversation.

stevebri

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

sarcasm aside if you are all 'bit-chin' then I'm spot on... Adobe has dropped it big time...
Currently I'm dealing with a thicko on Adobe's chat line about removing AAM to simply update LR6 standalone... so far it cannot be done...

But Beardy.... I'm just whining...

:)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:57:09 am »

I'm not sure who is showing more class ... but ... was your inclusion of the editorial opinion of "It's just whining." really necessary?

There were many, many legitimate complaints, disappointments and shortcomings involved in Lr v6.x thus far. While not universal in occurrence or acceptance ... still legitimate in many respects.

I'm not sure how labeling these issues as 'whining' benefits anyone involved  or how much 'class' stating such is added to the conversation.

Unfortunately, I think that's what it amounts to. A few recent problems, sure, and I'm glad you acknowledge they were neither universal in occurrence or acceptance. Legitimate? Yes, to some extent, but blown out of context by the OP, certainly. Do we really need another whinefest? Aren't contrary opinions allowed then?

SteveBri - I said "it", not "you".

ButchM

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:08:26 am »

Aren't contrary opinions allowed then?

My point was, did the inclusion of your whining reference further advance the discussion? Or did it draw out the exact reaction you seem to find less than desirable?

Sure ... contrary views seem to be accepted here until until certain forum participants get annoyed and begin to cry 'foul' and seek to have the thread locked.

I can accept differing points of view and discuss same, though, that attitude must be a two-way street.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 09:12:16 am »

I have to agree with John.  The problem is that we always hear about negative experiences and seldom from those who have had positive experiences or encountered no problems at all.  I've been on Stand Alone LR6 since it came out and have had no difficulties at all.  I'm sympathetic to those who have encountered them but when we get apocalyptic posts about the Adobe world coming to an end, my eyes glaze over.

Part of what is wrong with the Internet is the incessant whining from a small number of individuals.  I know this is harsh but that's how I see it.  LuLa has always been a welcoming place for those who need help resolving problems and that's the model to return to.

Alan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:14:57 am »

My point was, did the inclusion of your whining reference further advance the discussion? Or did it draw out the exact reaction you seem to find less than desirable?

Sure ... contrary views seem to be accepted here until until certain forum participants get annoyed and begin to cry 'foul' and seek to have the thread locked.

I can accept differing points of view and discuss same, though, that attitude must be a two-way street.

You reckon contrary views are allowed in the repeated whinefests??? Pull the other other one, Butch, or just try it for yourself and you'll find it's anything but a two way street. So yes, it's a pretty fair way to describe the threads to which the OP alludes.

ButchM

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:57 am »

Part of what is wrong with the Internet is the incessant whining from a small number of individuals.

Hmmm ... the easiest method to avoid the 'incessant whining' on the internet is to NOT read it.

It baffles me as to how complaining about complainers is not considered 'whining' as well ... quite ironic in the end.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:48 am »

I will give it a go. I haven't had any problem with LR other than the rather poor import module since fixed. I use LR everyday usually for many hours a day.

What exactly is the specific issue with the stand alone version of LR6 that requires staying on 5.7?  Honest question, no agenda. I quite like V6 buts it's not massively different to 5. HDR raws and panos are very good I think.

I'm not asking about the update issues. That stuff happens sometimes and it can be frustrating. Hope you sort it out quickly. I'm just asking what makes 6 so bad?
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

ButchM

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 09:42:58 am »

So yes, it's a pretty fair way to describe the threads to which the OP alludes.

But ... I didn't ask or question if your description of those other threads may be accurate (that is a whole other topic) ... I asked, by doing so here ... did it advance this discussion?

I have found, the best method to avoid reigniting an inferno you consider discomforting is to avoid adding more fuel to the fire.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 09:51:10 am »

But ... I didn't ask or question if your description of those other threads may be accurate (that is a whole other topic) ... I asked, by doing so here ... did it advance this discussion?

It put the OP's assertions in their rightful context. The problem the OP seems to be having with the CCApp (which I happen to hate with a passion) probably have little to do with the distorted view he's gained from recent posts.

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 09:54:10 am »

Film anyone...?

Steve

… to answer your questions …

1. No.
2. No.

But like your post, my post is simply my opinion.

Lightroom runs just fine here - Mac and Windows. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:48:52 am by RikkFlohr »
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 10:41:10 am »

Ok, my experience was entirely positive, with the eternal license or whatever is called (the one I bought on a CD). Recently updated from LR 5.7.1 to LR 6.0 to get access to some lens' profiles. My experience:

1. No problem in finding the link to update. I am not particularly computer savvy, but really, how much work does it take to find the link to update? To me, it was very quick.

2. Used LR 6.0 for a few days, and I can not understand what the fuss was about the new Import page/interface. Took me about 10 sec to figure it out. Being used to something is good, but the new page was actually more attractively designed, my opinion.

3. Recently updated to whatever the new version (15 November?) is, no problem.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 11:00:00 am »

Worse from what point in time (I started using PS in 1990), which product, in what way? I can assure you that the 15mb file I had to rotate 1degree in early 1990's which took 15 minutes would be nearly instantaneous today. So performance is vastly better. Color management? None existed back then it does today. ACR wasn't on anyone's mind, nor was Content Aware. Adobe has produced vastly superior software with nearly every release (the last LR Import debacles wasn't by a long shot).

In terms of LR/ACR, just go back from PV2012 to PV2003, you tell me if the state of processing hasn't improved hugely.

Specifically, is the Adobe LR team steering the LR ship better or worse? That's a specific question and I'd say worse. The last Import debacle is a perfect example. Hopefully the team will learn from that experience and move the ship away from potential icebergs and into clearer waters.
Your question would have merit if you were a bit more specific instead of asking a question that begs for rhetoric.   
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »

Well, I'm a very recent convert to LR CC 2015, and the application itself for me is rock stable. I'm certainly not very fond of Adobe (although 10-15 years ago they were wonderful), so I'm not inclined to cut it much slack, but to be honest, apart from some feature shortcomings which I seem to be in a very small minority in caring about, and yes, terrible installers, I think that all Adobe applications I use regularly are pretty good.
--
David Mantripp

ButchM

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:02 pm »

Ok, my experience was entirely positive, with the eternal license or whatever is called (the one I bought on a CD). Recently updated from LR 5.7.1 to LR 6.0 to get access to some lens' profiles. My experience:

1. No problem in finding the link to update. I am not particularly computer savvy, but really, how much work does it take to find the link to update? To me, it was very quick.

There generally is no problem finding the desired link to buy the perpetual license ... IF ... you have never used the CC trial, if you used any other CC app currently or had previously used the CC version ... if you did, the link would default to the CC signup, even if you wished to purchase the perpetual upgrade. This has been well documented. (If only Adobe simplified this aspect as they had tried to do for the Import dialog)

2. Used LR 6.0 for a few days, and I can not understand what the fuss was about the new Import page/interface. Took me about 10 sec to figure it out. Being used to something is good, but the new page was actually more attractively designed, my opinion.

The 'fuss' was not about a new design, or how attractive the new design for the import dialog was ... it was the arbitrary removal of several key features/functions, some of which had been around since the very beginning of Lr. It wasn't the new look that annoyed so many users ... it was the loss of functionality that upset them. Though, to some, mentioning that fact equates to 'whining' ...

3. Recently updated to whatever the new version (15 November?) is, no problem.

In general, most everyone that updated to 6.3/2015.3 had no issues ... it was the earlier updates and installer snafu that created problems for more than a few users.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up