Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No previews visible for some images in C1 catalog  (Read 2122 times)

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
No previews visible for some images in C1 catalog
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:54:02 am »

Hello,

Whenever my computer is NOT connected to my hard disks where the raw files for my catalog are stored, for many - but not all! - of the images I get a large question mark on the screen and the notice that the file is either in an unsupported format or corrupt (instead of seeing the image with the little notice "offline").

I tried "regenerating previews" thinking that this would help, but the moment I disconnect the external hard drives with the data and restart C1 the same thing happens. Why can I see previews of some images and not ALL of them?

There are no corrupt images, they ALL show up and work just fine when the hard disk with the image library is connected to the computer. The problem is: C1 is not storing or building previews correctly. Therefore they are not displayed.

Anyone know how to fix this? I contacted PhaseOne support and they sent me an answer relevant only to tethering and faulty cables/connections which has nothing to do with my problem

I am using Yosemite on a Mac with Capture One 8.3.4 PRO. The files concerned are in two raw formats either .mos (Leaf) or .orf (olympus) so this is not an issue of one camera's files being faulty. I can open and work with all the files with no problems, the only problem is C1 not displaying the previews when the original raw files are not available.

A screenshot of the problem is attached; as I said, all images become visible when the hard disk with the raw files is connected.

Many thanks,
Neil

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: No previews visible for some images in C1 catalog
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:04 am »

The images that have previews were added to the catalog as "Store Inside Catalog"

The images that have do not have previews were added to the catalog as referenced images in their original location (and therefore are not available when that location is offline).

Neil Folberg

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 11:20:39 am »

Wow, I love a clear answer - thanks Doug!

So now: I would like to see all the previews in my catalog when the external library is not connected, without storing all the large and numerous raw files on my computer. How can I do that in the future when importing new images, and how can I do that retroactively for items already in my catalog?

best wishes, Neil

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:32:10 am »

Wow, I love a clear answer - thanks Doug!

So now: I would like to see all the previews in my catalog when the external library is not connected, without storing all the large and numerous raw files on my computer. How can I do that in the future when importing new images, and how can I do that retroactively for items already in my catalog?

best wishes, Neil

Hi Neil,

You can (or should be able to) see your previews when your external drive is not connected.

Close the Catalog, and goto File>Verify Catalog or session, to check for errors.  If still no luck, get back on to support please for a resolution!

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Neil Folberg

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:44:33 pm »

Hello David,

Thanks for your attention!
I tried the Verify procedure and I got the message that the catalog is OK and verified - but still no previews.

I have a support case already but no answer for a whole day from Phase One. I will submit again now with the additional info that you provided about the verify procedure. The support case is number 204,650 if you are able to check out what's going on.

best wishes, Neil

Neil Folberg

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:54:53 am »

No word yet from support at phase one

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:25:06 am »

No word yet from support at phase one

Check your profile online too - sometimes the email notifications get spam blocked.
David Grover

Neil Folberg

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:01:37 pm »

Just got the reply and I will try out their suggestion, thanks.

Neil Folberg

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:21:22 am »

Hello David Grover and anyone else out there at Phase One, 

This issue remains unresolved. The answers that I get from Phase One support do not really give me solutions or relate exactly to my questions.

Do they or anyone else provide live online hands-on support? It takes me days to get answers and then they do not seem entirely relevant. They just make me want to give up on capture one as much as I like it's image processing abilities.

Neil

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 07:36:40 am »

This issue remains unresolved. The answers that I get from Phase One support do not really give me solutions or relate exactly to my questions.

Do they or anyone else provide live online hands-on support? It takes me days to get answers and then they do not seem entirely relevant. They just make me want to give up on capture one as much as I like it's image processing abilities.

Neil

If you purchased Capture One from a Phase One dealer you have the full service team of that dealer at your disposal. For example, we (DT) have four full time support staff.

That said, Phase One's online support system is usually very good. They reply within a few hours. Maybe you could ask to have your case reviewed by another support agent; sometimes one persons style of communication doesn't mesh, or they misread or misunderstood something early in the case that another agent would catch on review. Stick with it; it is staffed by real experts.

Neil Folberg

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 08:01:30 am »

Well that's a recommendation to buy it from a dealer - though there were none at the time in Israel as far as I know (now there is one I believe). I should have purchased from you anyway. As it was, I was using the free DB version since I have a Leaf aptus back and finally purchased it from PhaseOne online so that I could use it for files from my Olympus EM5. You are probably correct, I feel like what seems to be a simple question has become inordinately complex and that someone has neglected or overlooked a very simple step. I will ask for a review by another agent as you suggest. Thanks.

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 10:14:53 am »

Neil

Hi Neil,

It may not seem that the support advice relates to your questions, but it may well do from a technical stand point.

You haven't mentioned here what support are asking you to do?  While it might sound trivial, it is fact finding on their part to give you the best solution.

David

David Grover
Pages: [1]   Go Up