Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending in a tech lens for re-alignment?  (Read 1760 times)

torger

Sending in a tech lens for re-alignment?
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:04:06 pm »

In the 135 format lens sample variations are well known and through lens rentals we've even seen statistics on how large the variation can be. In the tech lens case it's unknown to me how large the issue is, I've assumed it's smaller but I don't know. There's no independent third party tests done (like lens rentals) afaik, so what the variance actually is, is anybody's guess.

Anyway, if I remember correctly I've heard about people sending in their working-but-not-top-notch-performing lenses and getting them re-aligned and got much improved optical performance.

I have a couple of Schneider Digitar lenses (on lens boards) which I suspect could perform better than they currently do. They're not obviously decentered/faulty, but when shifted I've seen others get a bit better results.

I've heard that you can send the lens to Schneider, I assume it's this link you follow:
http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/en/photo-imaging/product-field/photo-lenses/support/service/

But if your lens is not really faulty, just not performing fully on spec, can/will they do anything, and about how much does it cost? Anyone who has done this type of "repair"?

If it's fairly cheap, say a few hundred euros, I would consider sending in lenses without testing them just for checking and re-alignment, as you can do with a digital back. Can you do that with lenses (Schneider Digitar in my case)?

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: Sending in a tech lens for re-alignment?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:02:08 pm »

You can get some good advice on this from Linhof Studio in the UK: Linhof Studio servicing

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 08:01:10 am »

If you have a lens that shows differences between the left and right sides when shifted then that would be indicative of decentering.  I have had numerous Schneider lenses that were decentered and all were repaired by Schneider in Germany and considered in warranty. 

Victor

cyron123

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:19 pm »

Hi, i had a Schneider Digitar with some dust inside. I have sent it to Schneider and they clean it inside and align the lenses itself. Cost 350 euros. Not cheap but cheaper than a new one.
The guys at Schneider are ok. But it takes 3 weeks and I live 70 km away from Schneider. It seems there are not really much people in this department. Because of the increasing market.

gebseng

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:50:49 am »

My (pretty bad) experience with Schneider:

I bought the apo-digitar 35mm in 2010, and thought that the corners were pretty soft when shifted (probably due to field curvature, which is significant with this lens. Since I had read that this lens could be improved bei Schneider, I sent it in in 2011 (appr. 14 months after buying it) (via my dealer here in Vienna), along with detailed information and sample images.

They wrote back and said that the copal shutter was misaligned, supposedly because the lens had fallen down (which it didn't, at least not while I was using it). They said they needed to replace the shutter with a new one and charged me € 800,-, since the warranty was only 12 months.

After getting the lens back, I tested it again, same issues as before.

I sent the lens in again. Strangely enough, they now said that they actually had forgotten to replace the shutter, but would replace it now.

After getting the lens back again, I tested it once more, but the corners did not show any improvement.

When I wrote to Schneider again, they said that they could not comment on the soft corners, but assured me that the shutter was OK now. They also refused to refund the € 800,-

So, pretty bad experience from my side, I am very wary now and would probably look for a different repairshop in the future.

best,

geb

torger

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 04:01:03 am »

Thanks for the reports!

The SK35 is a bit special it really suffers heavily from field curvature. AFAIK the image circle is really only 75mm for us pixel peepers as the dropoff in sharpness is very high the last 15mm to 90mm. I just made a comparison with a 5Ds and a TS-E 24 II, and that combo kills my H4D-50/SK35 combo in resolving power as soon as the relative movements push it outside those 75mm. I think my SK35 is on spec, it's just not any better than that, but I'm more suspicious that my SK60XL is not performing as it should, and possibly my SK47XL could be a little bit better.

vjbelle

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:38:14 am »

I have two brand new Schneider Digitar's going in for repair so will see how well these repairs are made.  Everything has been exemplary in the past but the department head has now retired so I'm slightly concerned but time will tell. 

Victor

vjbelle

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:04:13 pm »

Torger..... I also have a 60mm Digitar that went back for alignment and came back much improved.  It wasn't dramatically out of alignment but enough so that I contacted Schneider Service.  However, the most dramatic improvement was with my 35XL which went from unusable to stellar.  I had owned the lens for more than three years and really didn't know what to do with it and decided to write Schneider service.  At the time I heard directly from Ulrich Eilsberger the department head who simply emailed "send it to me".  He has since retired but I'm sure the actual work was delegated to someone in the department so I'm confident that competent repairs can be obtained..... hopefully.  Linhof Studio where I purchased my latest lenses have volunteered to help with communication so maybe this will all be OK.  They have an extensive history dealing with Schneider and seemed to know who to contact. 

Victor
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:24:15 pm by vjbelle »

vjbelle

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »

Thanks for the reports!

The SK35 is a bit special it really suffers heavily from field curvature. AFAIK the image circle is really only 75mm for us pixel peepers as the dropoff in sharpness is very high the last 15mm to 90mm.

The SK35 does have a lot of curvature but not necessarily a drop off in sharpness.  I have learned to focus for the sides of the image at 100% pixels.  The center of the image will always be sharp when I stop down to f11 - which is always necessary for me with that lens.  I use this method for distances up to 300 feet with great success. 

Victor
Pages: [1]   Go Up