Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life In The Wild - A Photo Safari  (Read 2819 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Life In The Wild - A Photo Safari
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »

Ever wonder what it is like to go on an African Photo Safari?  Eileen Benjamin shares with us her first experience on a safari and the photos shat she made during the adventure.  Her commentary as well has her images tell a story of adventure in Botswana, Africa. She share pre-trip planning as well as a detailed account of her photography.  Life In The Wild - A Photo Safari

Eileen is one of our instructors for our November 2016 S. Georgia and Antarctica Photography Workshop 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jfwfoto

Re: Life In The Wild - A Photo Safari
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 12:29:00 am »

I am sure her trip was memorable. I have been to those places too and they are special. The shots however are not so special. I would have expected better from an experienced photographer but there is so much great work out there it is difficult to compete. The story of the experience reminds me of my impression of the place but I would never identify a tree full of large Maribou storks as tiny bee eaters. That was really over the top.

Sean H

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:56:08 am »

Her story was both impressive and memorable. While I do not know her, I am glad that Kevin published her account of the trip. It inspired me (and likely others) to visit that great region. At least she took the time to share with us. And some of her photos were great; they were not post-processed to near death. What are your photos from safari like? I enjoyed her shots and narrative very much and I admire her bravery in putting out her photos for all and sundry to see and learn and critique if they must... If you read her narrative, she admitted that sometimes it was hard to capture what she was seeing. I too have been on safari and shot thousands of frames over a period of weeks and sometimes the beauty of the scene overwhelmed me. Sometimes the camera failed to capture what was happening no matter how many shots and angles that I used. Look at Andy Biggs' site. It has taken him years and many expeditions to accumulate those beautiful safari shots.

ebphoto

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 10:31:50 am »

Dear jfwfoto
Thank you for thoroughly reading my article and pointing out my error. How could I have missed that... Anyway, It will be corrected. All comments are sincerely appreciated. All the best, Eileen

I am sure her trip was memorable. I have been to those places too and they are special. The shots however are not so special. I would have expected better from an experienced photographer but there is so much great work out there it is difficult to compete. The story of the experience reminds me of my impression of the place but I would never identify a tree full of large Maribou storks as tiny bee eaters. That was really over the top.

ebphoto

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:45:07 am »

Sean, Thank you for your comments and support. I'm planning a trip to Namibia next year. An opportunity to photograph wildlife is on the agenda. I'll give it another go. All the best, Eileen

DaveClark

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:45:25 pm »

I returned from a trip to the Okavanga Delta just a few days ago so I enjoyed reading your account and seeing your photos.  Your experience was similar to mine.  I was on one of Andy Bigg's photo safaris with Andy and Grant Atkinson.  Consequently I did not need to do a lot of research on locations and camps.  When we were out taking photos Andy, Grant and the guides from the camps did a superb job of getting us into position for some great photos.  Once in position Andy and Grant whispered advice on how to capture the shot and what the animal was likely to do next.  Although I have done a lot of photography, this was my first serious wildlife photography and I learned a tremendous amount quickly.  It's not the same as landscapes!  We got some shots of the same leopards as in your photo.  The mother is easily identified by her damaged left eye.  We were at Nxabega Camp which is close to Pom Pom.  I did not see the mother and daughter together as you did, so I am jealous of your shot with them both in a tree!  The variety of wildlife and our ability to get into good photo shooting positions greatly exceeded my expectations.  Thanks for the article and the photos which I liked very much.  I have a bunch of photos from my trip that I consider to be special, although I am sure they would be found to be not so special by some.  I hope your article inspires more photographers to go to Africa.  I'm eager to go back!

ebphoto

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:18 pm »

Thanks for your note, Dave. I'm so glad you had a fabulous trip. And yes, the guides are pretty amazing. They want everyone to go home with amazing images. Africa certainly exceeded my expectations.
Eileen

slegon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:33:21 am »

Hi, thanks for the photos Eileen, brought back memories of my own trip to Botswana several years ago!

As mentioned above (rather ungraciously, I might add) the birds are indeed Marabou storks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marabou_stork

It is hard to imagine more different birds, the bee-eater being a small brightly colored bird and the stork huge and ugly!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-fronted_bee-eater

Anyway, you might want to correct the caption, because it discredits an otherwise interesting photo essay!

ebphoto

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:42:22 am »

Hello lula@legon.net
Thanks for your note. The typo has been corrected. Hate to have my article discredited because of a typo.
Eileen
Pages: [1]   Go Up