Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Help Diagnosing Issue with P800/Canson Baryta

(1/4) > >>

abarnard:
Hi,

I'm a long time lurker on the forum, but this is my first post. I'm new to inkjet printing, so please be patient.

I recently purchased an Epson P800 and I'm having some trouble with printing on 13x19 Canson Baryta Photographique. Near the middle of the sheet, I'm getting what appear to be horizontal scratch marks in an area approximately .5" wide by 1" tall. For print media I'm choosing "Ultra Premiun Photo Paper Luster", and I've set the paper thickness to "4", and the platen gap to "wide". I've attached a photo that shows the marks. I'm not sure what other information might be needed to diagnose the issue.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Alan

Mark D Segal:
That looks very much like a head strike. I recommend widening the platen gap to "Wider" or "Widest" and see whether it happens again. Also make sure the paper is flat (i.e. not buckling in the middle) before feeding it.

Rand47:
If the paper is flat (all the Baryta Photographique I've purchased is very flat) and properly fed to the printer, with the platen gap set to wide - something must be amiss somewhere with the printer, I'm guessing.  Have you tried other papers of similar mil and GSM?  Same problem? 

Rand

howardm:
why are you using Lustre as the base media type?  the instructions from Canson indicate Semi-Gloss.  Perhaps you're overloading the paper (in the really dark areas) causing some buckling.  I always use SG, 4 thickness and I *think* 'Wider' but I'd have to doublecheck.

abarnard:
Hi,

The P800 driver only provides the option for "standard" or "wide" platen gap; I'm running the "wide" setting.

The paper is flat out of the box, but it's coming out of the printer slightly buckled.

Howard, on the Canson ICC profile download page (http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles) for the P800, I'm seeing "Premium Luster" listed as the media type for Baryta Photographique. Is there another location where I should be looking? It does seem like a lot of ink, but I don't have the experience to know.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version