Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Best laptop for photo editing

(1/4) > >>

Sylvia Renick:
I am looking for recommendations on best non-apple laptops for photo editing. Thank-you!

Some Guy:
I was quite happy with my old Sager that lasted about 6-7 years.  It had a 17" (4:3 ratio) screen back then and ran at 3.2 Ghz too so it was and still is pretty powerful for that era and now.  Plus, it was about the only notebook that could burn and read a Blu-Ray disk back then too if I wanted to do video work.  The newer computers with 17-18 inch screens seem more 16:9 wide-screen TV style.  They are an era ahead of most all general consumption computers, imho.

The Sagers aren't cheap though and can max out out $7K or more depending on how you want it built.  They are more like a desktop replacement than a laptop/notebook.  Heavy too for all they can cram into them.  Sager Notebooks  This place has others:  PowerNotebooks

Some of the upper-tier gamer notebooks (e.g. MSI, Razer, Falcon, Asus, and before Dell took over Alienware) sold in the brick-and-mortar stores have nice graphics with a lot of RAM and solid state drives that boot pretty quick.  Most of the top levels are built by Clevo in China who also builds a lot of lower-tier laptops too.  Personally, I have some issues with some gamer drivers that interfered with calibration hardware and software.  I'm still having issues with Windows 10 Home in a new MSI too, but seems it might be the pre-installed software and its removal that is causing directory issues too with Windows 10 Home.

Good luck!

SG

BobShaw:

--- Quote from: Sylvia Renick on November 27, 2015, 11:50:00 am ---I am looking for recommendations on best non-apple laptops for photo editing. Thank-you!

--- End quote ---
None.
At the risk of being flamed, you get much better value with a MacBook Pro. That is why the majority of professionals use them. My 2010 MBP is still going strong and will run the latest OS. What PC will support the last 6 or so operating systems?

Jimbo57:

--- Quote from: BobShaw on November 27, 2015, 05:08:52 pm --- That is why the majority of professionals use them.

--- End quote ---

Where does that factoid come from? In my experience, the opposite is true.

But to go back to Sylvia's question, are you sure that you want a laptop? I know that some folk may have reasons for not being able to use a desktop PC but I have never understood how any meaningful photo-processing can be undertaken on a laptop.

If you do have a good reason for needing a laptop, I would suggest that you also budget for a good quality monitor to plug into it and, in this case, the choice of monitor may be more important than the choice of laptop brand or model.

Hans Kruse:

--- Quote from: Jimbo57 on November 28, 2015, 05:48:25 am ---Where does that factoid come from? In my experience, the opposite is true.

But to go back to Sylvia's question, are you sure that you want a laptop? I know that some folk may have reasons for not being able to use a desktop PC but I have never understood how any meaningful photo-processing can be undertaken on a laptop.

If you do have a good reason for needing a laptop, I would suggest that you also budget for a good quality monitor to plug into it and, in this case, the choice of monitor may be more important than the choice of laptop brand or model.

--- End quote ---

Not to go into a Mac versus PC discussion, but relating to the editing on a laptop comment. I use a single machine, the MacBook Pro 15, 2.8Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD and in my office I have a 4K 32" (Dell UP3214Q) monitor. I use 95%+ Lightroom and also Photoshop at times. This works very well. I travel a lot and two machines is just a nightmare ;) But a high-end laptop can be used for photo editing like mine. Dell makes some highend laptops that should work as well as the MacBook Pro's. The MacBook Pro also runs Windows nicely if need be. Either as a virtual machine or as a second (or only) boot. Lightroom on anything than a high-end laptop I would not suggest.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version