Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wondering if Photoshop has an automation to add a scaled signature to save as  (Read 1627 times)

earlybird

Hi,
 I have been wondering if there is any way to automate the addition of a signature when I automate the saving of smaller versions of my master file.

I currently work with my photo files at their largest pixel count and then manually add an appropriately sized signature layer in the lower right corner just before I automate a image size modification and a save as. 

I am trying to figure out if I can automate a copy/paste from a reference file of signatures that can basically automate what I am already doing manually.

The key for me is that I use a different size signature, relative to each different image size I am saving as. When I do it manually it takes extra time that I would like to minimize.

It occurs to me that there may already be some sort of automated watermarking process that I can adapt but I have never learned about watermarking.

Any ideas?

FWIW, I am hoping this can be discussed without a debate about merits of the use of signatures.

Thank you. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:40:53 am by earlybird »

john beardsworth

• My photography site

I don't think Photoshop has a feature that works as you describe. Maybe you can record a macro, but I think it would be complex and might need a script to work well.

Another idea might be save your watermark layer as a pattern (Edit > Pattern). On another image, you can then add a pattern layer, choose the watermark pattern, and the appropriate percentage.

Lightroom does do it automatically, if that would be of use to you. It's in Edit > Edit Watermarks.

earlybird

Thank you for your thoughts.

I have never used Lightroom but that sounds like a nice feature.

I figured out after experimenting this morning that I can use a "place" function in an action. With that function I can make a complete action that includes a image resize, add signature, align, and save as in one action that I can run as a batch process.

Now I just need to prepare reference files to use for the placement.

Thank you. Casting the idea out to the forum gave me a chance to step back and see what I needed to do.

TonyW

I agree there is no PS feature to do this automatically an Action (or series Actions) may work but scripting should solve the problem.  However this requires even more knowledge including coding and debugging.

I remembered seeing a post some time ago on Adobe forums where one member (JJMack Post#6) seems to have produced a package to do what you  want, or at least give you a running start at producing your own  ;D
https://forums.adobe.com/message/4571630#4571630

I have not tried this method opting for the simplistic approach of creating a simple signature as a brush and applying where required after altering size with the [ or ] keys

Richowens

EB,
  Perhaps this will give you a start;

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_54/essay.html

Rich

earlybird

Thanks to both of you for the additional suggestions.

I have worked out a batch process using a home made action that seems to do what I had hoped.

sniper

It's a little complicated but once you've made the action/macro it'll do the job for you. Check out Dr Russell Browns website (see link for page), near-ish the bottom of the page is a video called "Digital Watermark Branding" that'll show you the easiest way to do it.  Take too long to explain here.

link
Pages: [1]   Go Up