Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Batis 85 vs Leica Summilux 80?  (Read 4465 times)

Herbc

Zeiss Batis 85 vs Leica Summilux 80?
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

Anybody have opinions vs these two?  AF is not needed for my work.   8)
I will use the lens on an A7R or A7II

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Zeiss Batis 85 vs Leica Summilux 80?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 12:20:35 pm »

Just the fact that you don't need to use an adapter on the Batis would swing things in its favor for me.  And it's an exceptional lens as well.  So you get great image quality with lower operational complexity.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 03:09:00 pm »

Anybody have opinions vs these two?  AF is not needed for my work.   8)
I will use the lens on an A7R or A7II

They're different! The Batis is a modern sharp & contrasty wide open lens. The 'Lux is '80s Leica…a very fine lens, gentler than the Batis at larger apertures. Depending on your preferred subject matter either could be the better choice.

-Dave-

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:44:20 am »

I was afraid of this-looks like I will have to get both ;D

MoreOrLess

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 11:44:45 pm »

The Leica is 2/3rds of a stop faster than the Tamron.

peterottaway

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:05:52 am »

Rather infantile comment.

I'm sure that any number of the lenses I have owned over the last 45 years have had many different glass developers and manufacturers. Not to mention who designed the lens and who manufactured them.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 09:38:23 am »

Rather infantile comment.

I'm sure that any number of the lenses I have owned over the last 45 years have had many different glass developers and manufacturers. Not to mention who designed the lens and who manufactured them.

Did you ever get so annoyed about it being brought up before you bought into a Sony system though?

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 01:13:43 am »

if you are going to get both, you better get the leica 90mm collapsible macro elmar too, its only f4 but it's tiny and works great on the sony which is tiny too! (puts say's it's in the top 3 leica lenses, along with the apo 90 and the 135.)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:48 am »

Would you be so kind as to inform the ignorant on your references to your statement above? Not the 2/3rds thing, rather the Tamron bit. The reason I ask is because My lens says ZEISS on the barrel, paperwork, and box, not Tamron.

Thanks.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:41 am »

Paulo,

I wondered too and googled, found this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=zeiss+batis+tamron&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Basically Rumours, yet It was never a secret that some of the earlier Zeiss lenses were manufactured by Cosina was it ? , in the same factory that made those yummy Voigtländer 125 and 180 lenses.  I personally couldn't care less as long as the quality is up to Zeiss' standards. 

BR Sander

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 03:58:40 pm »

This stuff is particularly silly when brought up re. Zeiss. "Zeiss" technically refers not to a single company but rather a consortium of companies owned by the Carl Zeiss Foundation. Currently there are only two companies in the consortium, but in the past there have been at various times many more. Tamron of course isn't part of this, but Zeiss working with Tamron is just an example of its more recent practice of loosely affiliating with other companies rather than buying them. Pentax, Kyocera and Cosina are other Japanese camera and/or lens companies Zeiss has done this with over the past ~40 years. In a globalized tech/business world this is a natural way of operating.

-Dave-

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:41 am »

Paulo,

I wondered too and googled, found this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=zeiss+batis+tamron&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Basically Rumours, yet It was never a secret that some of the earlier Zeiss lenses were manufactured by Cosina was it ? , in the same factory that made those yummy Voigtländer 125 and 180 lenses.  I personally couldn't care less as long as the quality is up to Zeiss' standards. 

BR Sander

I was being sarcastic on my previous post, as I get tired of this childless drivel about who makes what. For many years now almost all ZEISS lenses (that is the correct name of the company BTW, with capitals), with the exception of cine lenses and other exotic glass (ZE/ZF/Milvus 15 f2.8 comes to mind) have been made by Cosina in Japan. Cosina also makes the Voigtlander lenses.

If ZEISS chose to make the Batis 85 on a Tamron factory, I am sure they had good reasons; maybe the image stabilization lens group was assembled there, I don't care. It still feels like a very good lens. And Tamron have always made some very good lenses, and some even better now, like the recent 35 f1.8 and 45 1.8.

I wonder if the other poster above, who made the childish comment, also thinks his jeans are still made in the USA...

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 06:48:02 am »

I was being sarcastic on my previous post,

I had a hunch you were, but thanks for clearing that up  ;)  I forgot to mention in my post that it actually stupefied me to read about all those devoting time and webspace to someting as trivial as where an actual product is produced and/or assembled. I'd only find that important if there was something very wrong with the product, like if in this case the Batis wouldn't live up to the quality expected form the ZEISS branding/badge.

Best Regards, Sander
Pages: [1]   Go Up