Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like to use a Wacom Tablet for Photoshop?  (Read 4861 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Do you like to use a Wacom Tablet for Photoshop?
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:31:55 am »

I often do a lot of manipulations like this on my images and find the brushes fall short in what I'm trying to do. I've researched the Wacom Intuos Photo and the Intuos Pro small but find it difficult to find recommendations from photographers in which, if any, Wacoms they use.
Any of you use a Wacom? If so, how do you like it? Thanks.

kers

• Pieter Kers
Re: Do you like to use a Wacom Tablet for Photoshop?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 11:16:39 am »

I often do a lot of manipulations like this on my images and find the brushes fall short in what I'm trying to do. I've researched the Wacom Intuos Photo and the Intuos Pro small but find it difficult to find recommendations from photographers in which, if any, Wacoms they use.
Any of you use a Wacom? If so, how do you like it? Thanks.
I am using a wacom since 10 years or more using photoshop.
I find it indispensable, but some people do no like it.
I am on a Wacom intuos 3 medium format- 7 years old
The small format is usually good enough and cheapest.
I have some problems with the latest OSX variants 10.10 and 10.11. with some unintended scrolling.
So I stay with 10.9.5 because i also consider that the best system for an old macPro.
You could try a cheaper bamboo type to find out if you like working with a pencil instead of a mouse...
PK

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 01:58:56 pm »

Thanks, kers
I would hope Wacom's latest drivers take the latest OSX into account. I have the Retina 5 iMac. I'll confirm that before I buy. I think I will go with the smaller size to start as you suggested. I use a track ball mouse now that I love...but need the pressure controls and other features a pen offers. I'll probably use both in practice.

Tom Montgomery

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:06:59 pm »

I also find the Wacom indispensable when using Photoshop.  I use an Intuos Pro (medium), which really doesn't need to be that big. Kinda takes up a lot of desk space for what I do.  I have Wacom driver 6.3.15-1, running El Capitan (OSX 10.11.1) on a late 2013 27" iMac, and have had no issues whatsoever.

bestia

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:03:33 am »

I tried one about a year ago.

For Photoshop it's powerful and well integrated.
Lightroom was a horror for me. I felt the Photoshop team that worked on integrating the tablet were well educated, versed, and executed their plan with precision. The team that worked on the integration of the tablet in Lightroom was done by a bunch of 7th graders. Want to make it bigger/smaller based on pressure in Lightroom? Couldn't do it. Want to make it lighter/darker based on pressure? Nope. One sure thing I learned was, the version of the tablet I was using didn't have quick keys on the tablet and there's no way I'd do that again that would've helped (and I'm used to quick keys programmed into my gaming mouse).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:54:12 am by Chris Sanderson »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 03:10:55 pm »

I use a Wacom tablet, mostly for retouching in Photoshop. The pen is invaluable for this, in my opinion - and I'd want it for the kind of work you are doing. I turn off all the buttons and dials on the tablet and the pen, and use the computer keyboard to select tools and adjust brush sizes and softness using keyboard commands. Pen in my right hand, left hand poised over the keyboard to change tools, etc.

I had an older Intuos III for many years and it finally just wouldn't work on my new Macbook Pro. So I got an Intuos Pro, the medium one. It works, though Bluetooth operation is slow and buggy and drops all the time. So I use the extra long USB cable, which is sort of a pain but it does work. I don't like the new pen tip as much, but it is what it is.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 12:59:44 am »

I've been using an Intuos 3 medium for seven years. For photo editing, it's indispensable. Prior to that, and Intuos 2. In the late 1980s, I worked at a video production facility. In those days, the pen was wired to the tablet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up