Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7800 Unused for 5 Years  (Read 2579 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Epson 7800 Unused for 5 Years
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:16:46 am »

A friend in Arizona has a 7800 that hasn`t been used for over 5 years and he wants me to get it going. We are getting a new set of inks but what do I do if the heads are plugged up?

Mike

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Epson 7800 Unused for 5 Years
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:35:38 am »

7800 is like that Ford/CHevy pick-up truck that just keeps running. Newer printers are more high tech and have more delicate parts.  If you have difficulties---put warm water in the capping station and try parking the head on a windex or simple green soaked (folded) paper towel.  Don't do that trick on the newer 79/9900/9890 series.  You can also try some AIS or Inkjetmall solution in the capping station.

ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:26:12 am »

+1 to Ken's comments. 

Once you get it all on line, I would do one power clean.  This is run from the printer LCD and requires raising up the ink levers a few times  Whole process takes about 15 minutes. 

IF you do this and still have clogs, you can do at least one SSCL (Super Strong cleaning cycle) from the printer control panel, (this is run from your PC/Mac not the LCD of the printer).  This process is even more involved but does get most clogs out.

Your biggest issue IMO will be the dampers, as there is no doubt old, and possibly dried up ink in there and as far as I know, no cleaning cycle will get there.  However end user replacement of the dampers is not that hard on the 7800 family. 

Lastly, make sure you check the wiper. With the power off (make sure it's off), release the head, and manually slide out of the way to the far left.  Get a flashlight, and look up into where the head was parked.  The wiper is a black rubber device running vertical towards to upper back.  Get a swap, foam, with warm water and clean off the wiper.  You might also consider a replacement wiper.  They are cheap and again can be replaced with a little work.  Not as easy as on a 9900, which has a process for it. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

huguito

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 01:21:16 pm »

+1 for the Inkjetmall cleaning solution to keep the pad in the capping station moist.
My 9600 smiles when I drop a little bit of it on the foam pad.

BrianWJH

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 03:36:54 pm »

Mike,

Before turning the machine on check the ink supply lines and dampers for pigment that may have settled or formed clumps, this will most likely be the case after such a long period of no use.

See this link to a previous post for an example of this issue.

As the other posters have said, also replace the dampers before running the machine and I would flush the ink lines and re-charge with new ink before sending any out of suspension pigment to the print head which will almost certainly cause print head channel clogging.

Good luck.

nairb

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:35:09 pm »

I just revived a 9600 that had been sitting idle for a year. Basically just follow the instructions in this linked video for the 4880 which is basically the same but you may not need to remove parts with screws( I didn't on the 9600. Didn't even try to remove the flushing box or clean tubes). On that 9600 I did almost 40 nozzle checks and 3sec/power cleanings before remembering/thinking of doing the simple green water solution.

I used soaked q-tips to clean the dried gunk from around the capping station (careful as the mesh surface is grabby with cotton swabs) and pulled a good 2cm long by 2mm thick chunk of dried ink from the wiper blade. I also used an old toothbrush soaked in the solution to lightly scrub all the rubber parts of the capping station and wiper blade. When I had the head pulled to the side I also had it sitting over a doubly folded paper towel soaked with the solution in the video. I did the paper towel trick several times, gently moving the head back and forth to lightly clean it. You can use the paper release arm to clamp the paper towel in place.

After doing what I just described, it took two 3 second cleanings to get a clear nozzle check.

There was also a fair amount of dust throughout the inside that I vacuumed out with my my "Shark" turbo hand vacuum. This is something I do once every couple months on my 9880 and 4880 depending on how much I'm printing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNlYR1SKONI

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:18:54 pm by nairb »

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:24 pm »

Thanks for all the advice! This is just what I wanted!

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 07:52:27 am »

I revived a 4800 that had been collecting dust for 5 years. As per some other suggestions I left a paper towel wet with Windex under the head for about two weeks (changing the towel every few days) then tried a few cleaning cycles. Got some new ink then did a power clean and it was back in perfect working order! I'd bought it off the previous owner for $200... :D Still going strong 4 years later.
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 07:30:41 am »

All above good advise. I has a 9800 sitting for 5 years. Gave it 2 standard cleans and it was clean as a whistle. Try simple first.
Pages: [1]   Go Up