Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

Frame Destination Conundrum

(1/1)

uintaangler:
I found out about Frame Destination right here - thanks, and am getting ready to place my third order with them during their free shipping promotion
I am trying to order both pre-cut mats and frames
I would like to frame 16 x 24 art, but if I pick a frame size larger than 24 x 28 I can't get glass, would have to get acrylic and I prefer glass.
My question - will a mat that is 2" all the way around look chintzy?
Seems 3" would look better?
Thanks.

howardm:
why not get no glass/acrylic and locally source the glass you want?

AFairley:
2" would be too small for me.  Why not mock up some different sized matts out of paper or even Matt board and see what looks good to your eye.  I mocked up 3 different widths for 17x22 prints and settled on 3-3/4"

BobShaw:
It really depends on the type of frame that you are getting. A variation on the rule of thirds is that either the frame is two thirds and the mat is one third or the frame is one third and the mat two thirds, but everything is subjective.

You can go to my website at AspirationImages.com and select custom framing > Quote and simulation tool > Custom Framing (to get symmetrical borders) and then put in the image dimensions and get a picture of what it looks like with  different frames. You can upload a phone jpg to see the actual image framed on the wall.

hugowolf:
I would definitely second getting it without glazing and finding a local source for glass. But, have you tried acrylic? It is better optically, has more UV protection than regular glass, and is lighter. The only thing it hasn't going for it is scratch resistance.

Brian A

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version