Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 13019 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 12:12:44 am »

I ended the GWX in the Processes tab of the Task Manager.  Will it come back?

AlterEgo

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:22 am »

I ended the GWX in the Processes tab of the Task Manager.  Will it come back?
it shall - I simply deleted it off my PC/Win8.1 (lazy solution)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 11:21:29 am »

How?

AlterEgo

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 11:47:41 am »

How?

"...\GWX\" -> "...\.GWX\" in 2 windows folders, that way you can restore them back when/if needed

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 11:52:37 am »

Sorry, I'm not a computer wiz.  What do you mean?  Please explain.

AlterEgo

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 12:23:20 pm »

for example you can rename the folders

C:\Windows\System32\GWX -> C:\Windows\System32\.GWX
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GWX -> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.GWX

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »

for example you can rename the folders

C:\Windows\System32\GWX -> C:\Windows\System32\.GWX
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\GWX -> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\.GWX

Or as in the article you previously linked, just create the registry key Computer/HKEY/LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX. Under that create a new DWORD named "DisableGWX" and set the value to 1. It works fine - no more windows 10 upgrade task running in task manager after a restart. To re-enable GWX either delete the GWX registry key or set DisableGWX to zero.

See the Registry Editor screen shot at http://blogs.technet.com/b/charlesa_us/archive/2015/06/25/how-to-remove-block-and-prevent-quot-get-windows-10-quot-application-for-corporate-environments.aspx
- Dean

armand

• Photos
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 02:24:10 pm »

I looked into those logs and I can't say I see anything that looks terrible (although I'm not really not that qualified).

DaveRichardson

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:18 pm »

One possible downside is that Win 10 updates are now mandatory and are downloaded and installed automatically, which has caused problems in a few cases. On the Home version you can't avoid them at all, on Win 10 Pro they can be delayed temporarily.

If you have Windows 10 Pro you can set it up to notify of updates before download and install (similar to Windows 7) although this requires initial setting up in the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) . There is a tutorial on the Windows 10 Forums which describe how to do this. I have not posted a link as I was unsure of the rules regarding linking to another forum.  You can also disable updates altogether - although I would not recommend this.

Dave

Some Guy

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2015, 06:13:32 pm »

There is another way to stop the updates within Windows 10 Home by going into the Network and Wi-Fi and setting the toggle to Metered-Plan so the OS will not download thinking you are on a pricey pay-to-download plan.

Funny part of all this is MS thinks their updates are critical for security purposes to protect us from others, but seems THEY are the ones who are also hosing people's computers with bad updates like the recent November one.  They've become their own worst virus.

Mine (Two week old new notebook!) is going back in for the second time in two weeks to the shop tomorrow.  It came with 10 Home and now it's tossing up random "Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory" messages and programs are slowing to a crawl and freezing up.  Ran okay before Windows Update attacked which was quick.

Fwiw, I spent the day going to four different shops trying to buy a "boxed Win 10 Home" (Has a loaded thumbdrive in it.) to wipe the drive and start fresh.  They all were sold out.  Only empty display boxes.  One sales guy said they had 10 but they are all gone.  Seems people are trying to fix a broken OS update or something.  For a free OS, it isn't working out that way.

SG

DaveRichardson

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 06:39:49 am »

I spent the day going to four different shops trying to buy a "boxed Win 10 Home"

No need to buy a new copy, if you have already activated windows 10.

If it is a new laptop - then use the manufacturers recovery disk (or make one from their software if you can get the system to run that lomg) and restore from that. That should keep any free software you got with the PC.

The second option is to use Windows Media Creator (on Microsoft website) to create a thumbdrive for a clean install. If you have already activated windows on your PC it should work fine. You will however lose any free software.

Dave

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:53 am »

If you are not familiar or comfortable with editing the Registry (and bad things can happen if you screw up) then don't do anything.  You will continue to see the Windows 10 icon in the tray and an occasional popup but just ignore them.  In addition, the fixes pointed to are only temporary.  Microsoft will ping your system in the future and reinstall the Windows 10 update stuff and you will have to go through this all over again (it's happened on all three of the computers in our household).  I have no doubt that Windows 10 offers some advantages over Windows 7 and 8.1 but I'm not going to update for several reasons.  One of my PCs is a home theater computer that runs my cable TV system.  Microsoft does not support this in Windows 10 so upgrading that is impossible.  My wife is happy with Windows 7 on her work station and doesn't want to have to learn new OS commands.  My Win 8.1 workstation is fully tuned up and I see no advantage to possibly encountering any issues. 

When the system tray Win 10 update appears, I just do the simplest thing and go into windows update and delete the offending update:   KB3035583

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 04:06:12 pm »

I'm a bit late to this discussion but FWIW...
I have only updated to Win 10 on one of my three current PCs - one is on 8.1 and one, the most complex and critical, is still on 7.
In summary, I'm very sceptical about Win 10 so far. A couple of geeky media applications I've been using on 8.1 (AVS2DVD and IMGburn) have become all but unusable on 10 - audio sync problems and generally puzzling faults. And then there are the intrusive key-loggers etc. Switching off as much of this stuff as possible in Settings has meant that the mail app doesn't work; it shows the Outlook (aka hotmail) folder structure but none of the content. "Sync" does nothing.
The latest major update  couple of days ago simply removed CCleaner from my PC! This is a non-essential but useful way of managing cr@p buildup that I've used and installed on dozens of people's PCs for many years without any problems at all. Unilaterally deleted without any warning. Now I've re-installed it and run it I find that there are some people reporting major system malfunctions caused by running the registry cleanup tool! Not looking forward to rebooting that PC...
Overall I think I'll delay Win 10 updating until just before the "free" updates expire. Not at all happy with Win 10 even after very limited experience with it.
(BTW What's it with the bl00dy great green "?Help" button on the footer of these forums now?)

jtmiller

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 04:46:48 pm »

Alan

I too was using WMC for TV, music etc. Keep in mind that MSFT plans to force a transition to Win10 by making it a higher level of update so you'll need to keep battling to keep it from happening.

More importantly, it costs MSFT money to deliver the Guide which is essential to making TV recordings. I fully expect them to discontinue that with little to no notice. You'll just find that your favorite shows are no longer recorded. I couldn't find a reasonable alternative to the WMC Guide so I gave up and went back to Comcast X1 service.

Still looking for a good WMC like app to do casting to Chromecasting of music.

Good luck

jim

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2015, 09:08:09 am »

Alan

I too was using WMC for TV, music etc. Keep in mind that MSFT plans to force a transition to Win10 by making it a higher level of update so you'll need to keep battling to keep it from happening.

More importantly, it costs MSFT money to deliver the Guide which is essential to making TV recordings. I fully expect them to discontinue that with little to no notice. You'll just find that your favorite shows are no longer recorded. I couldn't find a reasonable alternative to the WMC Guide so I gave up and went back to Comcast X1 service.

Still looking for a good WMC like app to do casting to Chromecasting of music.

Good luck

jim
Yes, MSFT will at sometime remove support for WMC.  Silicon Dust, a provider of cable card tuners, did a Kickstarter campaign a while back to generate funds to build a software replacement for WMC.  I'm not quite sure where this stands right now but may be an option.  I cannot cut the cable completely as I watch a lot of European football (e.g, soccer) and need to keep some Verizon FIOS premium channels.  I just want a low cost alternative to renting a cable box which is what my HTPC does.  Right now I save $20/month with my set up.

johnniewalk

• internet of things solution Bangalore
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:24 am »

You can upgrade but there is a chance that your system will be slow or some software issues to face

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »

something like this = http://blogs.technet.com/b/charlesa_us/archive/2015/06/25/how-to-remove-block-and-prevent-quot-get-windows-10-quot-application-for-corporate-environments.aspx

I tried this but was unable to do it because I did not have permission, even logged in as admin, I could not change permissions. I am about sick of it popping up every ten minutes. Any other ideas?

This whole nag screen thing makes me wonder who these people at Microsoft  think they are and how big their egos must be. I would assume there is no way to complain, if you did send a letter I am certain that it would be round filed immediately.

sigh....It never ends, this shit. I am perfectly happy with windows 7 it runs very stable on my office computers. I am reluctant to change until they end support. Which might very well be soon.
Warren

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 05:07:02 pm »

Warren,

With the caveat that I have NOT tried this software, http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html , might address your issues.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »

Warren,

With the caveat that I have NOT tried this software, http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html , might address your issues.

Alan, thanks, I will have a look at it over the weekend.
Warren
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up