Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Epson 9600

(1/2) > >>

Lynn Williams:
I have an Epson 9600 that I purchased from an artist friend of mine. He gave me one of his scanned prints to experiment with. When I print his scanned file, it prints perfectly. When I print a digital picture that I have taken with my camera (Nikon D90) or a scanned slide, I get lines throughout the print. I am using a Mac Book Pro and Photoshop Elements. I printed both the professionally scanned art files and my digital pictures using the same system. One without lines, the other with lines.

I have posted a few other posts concerning the lines...I seem to be narrowing it down somewhat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

BobShaw:
Hi Lynn
Click on his file, then go Command-I. Do the same for your file. Compare the two.
I would expect to see that his file is bigger, has greater pixel dimensions and is maybe 16 bit compared to 8 bit.

The pixel size should be 360 times the inches of the print, but would be acceptable at half or less of that.

Let us know what you find.

langier:
Try unidirectional (slower) printing. I had a similar problem with my 7600 and this seemed to solve the lines issue.

Lynn Williams:
Thanks for the reply's.

As I said, I am a rank beginner but I enjoy trying to make all this work.

Here is what I found out. My artist friend was kind enough to loan me two of his scanned print files for me to experiment with. The first is 5844 X 2902 pixels/51MB.  I printed it 16.5" x 23" with no lines. The second is 5106 x 3756 pixels/13.1MB It printed fine at 14.5 X 20...no lines.

My digital photograph shot with my D90 is 4288 x 2848 and 9.2 MB. print size is 8" x 10". printed with lines at 1400 speed unidirectional.

I can't find a reference to the "bits" question. Not sure if they are 8 or 16. When I open the files and press Command I, there is no information presented, the photo just changes color presentation.

I have printed fast, slow, one direction and both directions....still lines. I can print the same picture on an HP Photojet at 8x10 (same system)with no lines.

I have included scanned images of the same picture printed with the 9600 and the HP Photojet. Notice the lines and blemishes on the 9600 photo. Don't quite understand why the 9600 would print two scanned files perfectly and then not print my D90 files.

By the way...I got good nozzle checks before each printing.

Thanks.....

I have included

BobShaw:
You don't open the files, just click once to select them, then Command-I. Having said that though, I don't think file size is the problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version