Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supertelephoto carrying case  (Read 3697 times)

davidh4976

Supertelephoto carrying case
« on: April 13, 2006, 07:03:00 am »

How do you carry your 500 or other supertelephoto in the field and on travel?

I just purchased a Canon 500 and am looking for a carrying case for use in the field or while on travel. I searched the forum, but couldn't find a thread on this.  So, I thought this could be a good general discussion of your experiences in cases for 400, 500, and 600 lenses.

I use a Kinesis belt and pouches for my shorter lenses including a 100-400.  I doubt that I can hang the 500 on the belt very well!  I am thinking about using the Kinesis E980 (http://www.kgear.com/e/E980.html) with a shoulder strap.

What do you use and how well does it work?

LARRYWESTBROOK

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 10:46:48 am »

Quote from: davidh4976,Apr 13 2006, 11:03 AM

David--I use a Tamrac rolling bag on the airplane--with extra foam padding over the lens.In the field, the Domke lens bags are great.

pathfinder

• http://www.pathfinder.smugmug.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 04:41:56 pm »

I use the Kineses bags and shoulder straps for my 300 and 500 lenses.  I use the same bags for auto travel, but would not use them for commercial air travel.  

I like the Kineses bags.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:42:07 pm »

Have you tried a rolling backpack such as Lowe, Tamrac or Amvona? Just remember to keep it in the centre so it doesn't throw you off-balance.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 02:18:31 am »

Hi!

I use a "LowePro Computrekker Plus AW". I had that bag on two flights to US from Europe.
I had a big laptop inside, Minolta 400/4.5 lens, 80-200/2.8 and 3 or four smaller lenses. The bag is quite usable, but probbably not optimal. I will fit normal size overhead lockers
on long distance flights but not on regional jets. On the regional jet I could place it under the seat. It protuces some, but nobody complained. Canon 500/4.5 is probably significantly heavier and bigger than my 400/4.5.

I'm considering to buy a "moose bag" for the next trip.

best egards

Erik

I just purchased a Canon 500 and am looking for a carrying case for use in the field or while on travel. I searched the forum, but couldn't find a thread on this.  So, I thought this could be a good general discussion of your experiences in cases for 400, 500, and 600 lenses.

I use a Kinesis belt and pouches for my shorter lenses including a 100-400.  I doubt that I can hang the 500 on the belt very well!  I am thinking about using the Kinesis E980 (http://www.kgear.com/e/E980.html) with a shoulder strap.

What do you use and how well does it work?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

wtlloyd

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 10:16:31 am »

I have a 600mm, and I use the LowePro LensTrekker 600 AW backpack. I carry and keep the lens in this pack - hood reversed, no leather cover. The small external pouch can hold a set of Extenders, a polarizing filter, and the hood for my 16-35 which is kept in a LowePro lens pouch, hook/looped on the outside.

Carrying comfort is good, I wish they had a larger pouch as I am not real fond of stringing lenses on the perimeter of this bag, too easy to bang them into things...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 10:17:12 am by wtlloyd »
Pages: [1]   Go Up