Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arctic Phtography  (Read 3123 times)

MarcoSt

Arctic Phtography
« on: April 13, 2006, 01:06:12 am »

Hi folks,

could give me tips on which would help me take better pictures in the Arctic.

Today my gear is :

- Canon 1D MkII
- Sigma 15-30 EX
- Canon 24-105 L
- Sigma 120-300 EX
- Sigma 2x TC
- Metz 54-MZ3
[span style='font-family:Impact']Marc

williamrohr

Arctic Phtography
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 08:50:42 pm »

Having been on the Antarctica trip and now looking back at the pictures that were the most successful .... the lenses and accessories I found most helpful and successful were .... peripheral battery (such as the Digital Camera battery Michael has described ... keep the battery under your coat and use the extension cord that comes with the camera, others said I wouldn't need it ...wrong), 35 mm 1.4 with pano head, 24-70mm zoom, 80-200mmm zoom and 400 DO with a 1.4 TC in my pocket at all times.... and polarizing filters for all lenses.  One other lens that in hindsight got some great "ohhhh .. how did you do that shots" was the Canon 15mm.  Given your list you should be in great shape except the 2X TC may be a bit long (and dark) for hand holding, auto focus and if many overcast days such as we had.  My only suggestion then is to make sure you have your power requirements covered (remember in the summer months its a longgggg day so even if the cold is not a problem, the hours of shooting will challenge your batteries) and consider taking at least a monopod.

DarkPenguin

Arctic Phtography
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 08:58:14 pm »

Bring polar bear repellant.

ddolde

Arctic Phtography
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:31:17 pm »

What about Dark Penguin repellant ?  

aksundevil

Arctic Phtography
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:00:27 pm »

actually, you can leave your penguin repellant and penguin lenses at home, since only the coca-cola artists have ever found penguins in the arctic

MarcoSt

Arctic Phtography
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 12:40:48 am »

Thanks, appreciate your comments.

I guess the standard power will be enough for a day, since we come back from land (ice) to the boat for dinner to cruise to the next stop.

Cheers
[span style='font-family:Impact']Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up