Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Antelope Canyon - upper & lower  (Read 9020 times)

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
Antelope Canyon - upper & lower
« on: April 12, 2006, 10:53:12 am »

I just returned from my first workshop, given by Alain Briot in Page, Arizona. I can't say enough about the workshop. It was an intense few days, and I learned a lot. Although it was really about shooting, and my shooting improved considerably, I'm also now going to have to re-edit and re-print a number of what I previously thought were good prints. If I can find the time & money I'll return in the fall for the Fine Art Summit (www.beautiful-landscape.com/Workshop-Summit-06.html).

Antelope Canyon was the primary reason I chose this particular workshop, and it didn't disappoint. We visited both Upper and Lower Antelope Canyon. Both are just a few miles outside of Page, AZ. The "upper" and "lower" I believe refer to the fact that the former is essentially above ground - you walk straight in to it - and the latter is below ground - you climb down in to it.

Upper Antelope Canyon is much busier, and I felt it was less photogenic. In two hours of shooting I came away with one really good shot. Many tourists with point-and-shoot cameras are walking through, so the longish exposures (several seconds at ISO 100 & f/8) sometimes have ghosts walking through them or get blown out by someone's flash, so you have to re-shoot. But it was a good training exercise.

Lower Antelope Canyon is MUCH tighter. You climb down through a crevice that I had to take my backpack off to fit through (a CamelBak Peak Bagger into which I slip a photo backpack interior). You will NEED a sturdy tripod with flexible legs, and something quick to set up and pack away because in several locations I had no choice but to pack it up to get through to the next section. I used a Gitzo 1348 with a Really Right Stuff 40mm ballhead. My Canon 5D has the RRS L-plate, which I found very useful since I frequently switched between portrait and landscape orientation. Much of the lower canyon is considerably darker, too: 30 second exposures at ISO 100 and f/8 were very common, even though it was late morning to noon. But the photographs are beautiful. The colors you've seen aren't manipulations, they come right out of the camera that way. But in the darkness your eyes can just barely see the blues, if at all. Nobody with me could see it, and I could just barely make it out. I have several excellent photographs from Lower Antelope Canyon after three hours of shooting.

I'll be back to Lower Antelope Canyon, no doubt. It's one of those places you just can't capture in one trip, even if you had a week or two. Oh, and spring was an ideal time. The temperatures are moderate (Page is in the desert), and they get very little rain in the spring. Late summer you definitely want to avoid because that's when they get their rain, and you don't want to be anywhere in or near a slot canyon with rain in the area - they're carved out by rain water.

Previously I've stayed in Page only briefly or passed through on my way to places like the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, sometimes photographing Horseshoe Bend along the way. But now I think of Page as a destination, not a stopover. What a wonderful weekend!

Willard

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 12:06:11 pm »

And from Page you also have access to The Wave and the Toadstools of Wahweap Canyon.

John

Jayhawk

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 12:59:40 pm »

Posts like this can't make my trip in June get here any quicker!  I only wish I had more time up there, currently it's only going to be one long day.  Is it possible to do both canyons in one day?  

I'll be there the week of June 25, so the sun will be up for a great deal of the day.  I just don't know if it's logistically possible to go to both locations during in the middle of the day (when the light's the best I've heard).

cmburns

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 10:40:15 am »

Posts like this can't make my trip in June get here any quicker!  I only wish I had more time up there, currently it's only going to be one long day.  Is it possible to do both canyons in one day? 

I'll be there the week of June 25, so the sun will be up for a great deal of the day.  I just don't know if it's logistically possible to go to both locations during in the middle of the day (when the light's the best I've heard).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62482\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I went to lower in the morning in August. I was the first one through as a guy had to walk through it in front of me to make sure no snakes had gotten in the canyon during the night. It started off with bad light, partly from the sun not being up very high, but mostly from the power plant that sits on a hill not far away. The cloud coming out of it's cooling towers was reaching way up into the sky. Finally the wind changed and blew it a different direction lighting up the canyon walls.
From lower you just drive across the highway and you are at upper. I wouldn't bother with a guide to upper from in Page or on the internet, just walk up, pay your money, wait in line and they will take you to the canyon. This way you can stay as long as you want. You need to be there mid-day for the light beams.
You could then go back to lower but keep in mind your ticket gets you day access to other Indian lands in the area. A mile or two south of Page on the opposite side of the road of Horseshoe bend there's a place to pull off and sometimes a guy there taking money, or looking at your ticket. A short walk gets you to a slot canyon there. It's nowhere near as good as Antelope but it's all yours and there's a few nice things to get shots of. After the crowds at antelope the peace and quiet is nice.

Mike K

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 02:16:37 pm »

A mile or two south of Page on the opposite side of the road of Horseshoe bend there's a place to pull off and sometimes a guy there taking money, or looking at your ticket. A short walk gets you to a slot canyon there. It's nowhere near as good as Antelope but it's all yours and there's a few nice things to get shots of. After the crowds at antelope the peace and quiet is nice.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sounds like Waterhole canyon, right next to the highway.  I've never heard of anyone collecting $ there.  
[a href=\"http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/pop1.pdf]http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/pop1.pdf[/url]

There is another one just North of Page, near a housing development, not at all obvious.
Its called stateline canyon in this excellent and detailed guide
http://www.americansouthwest.net/sitemap_sc.html
Mike K

Jayhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 11:20:01 am »

Sounds like Waterhole canyon, right next to the highway.  I've never heard of anyone collecting $ there. 
http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/pop1.pdf

There is another one just North of Page, near a housing development, not at all obvious.
Its called stateline canyon in this excellent and detailed guide
http://www.americansouthwest.net/sitemap_sc.html
Mike K
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uggghhh....I may have to figure out a way to spend the night up there now, just too many locations to photograph and too little time.  I'm already starting to think trying to get to both Antelope's and then head over to Horseshoe bend at sunset is going to be pushing it.

framah

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 05:34:33 pm »

You might want to head over to Horseshoe Bend before sunrise as it will be in shadows at sunset.  Before sunrise is the best time for this place.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 10:15:07 am »

I finally put some of my photos out on the web.

Antelope Canyon

Enjoy,

Jim

framah

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 11:05:27 am »

/out west worked/smallforemail 3.tif

One of mine.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

framah

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 11:06:19 am »

WEll... that didn't work. I'll try another way.  

framah

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:33:12 am »

Let's see if these work.

framah

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 11:42:46 am »

Yep... that worked!!

Smack

• http://
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:22:33 pm »

Here are some shots I took in Lower Antelope at the beginning of February this year.

Canon 5D and 24-105mm f/4L

Regards,

Steve

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:58:25 am »

My Antelope Canyon shots from April are here

markahiggins

• http://
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2006, 11:24:54 am »

Don't forget the rim rocks!

alexrodriguez

• http://www.Alejandro-Rodriguez.com
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 11:38:17 pm »

I just returned from my first workshop, given by Alain Briot in Page, Arizona. I can't say enough about the workshop. It was an intense few days, and I learned a lot. Although it was really about shooting, and my shooting improved considerably, I'm also now going to have to re-edit and re-print a number of what I previously thought were good prints. If I can find the time & money I'll return in the fall for the Fine Art Summit (www.beautiful-landscape.com/Workshop-Summit-06.html).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Jim-

Can you comment specifically on Alain Briot? I am going with him in this Monument Valley workshop in September. Hope to come back with some nice shots.

Alex

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 09:43:26 am »

Hi Jim-

Can you comment specifically on Alain Briot? I am going with him in this Monument Valley workshop in September. Hope to come back with some nice shots.

Alex
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alain and Natalie run a great workshop. The schedule kept us constantly occupied, but the atmosphere was casual and cordial since the numbers were kept low - 12 participants, I think.

I had been to Page a few times before... well, I should actually say I had been THROUGH Page a few times before, stopping briefly at Horseshoe Bend. But Alain and Natalie have a much more intimate knowledge of the area. That alone may be worth the price of a workshop with them. But the real value is their knowledge of photography. My workshop was specifically about shooting, and my shooting definitely improved. I wish I could attend their Fine Art Summit to work on Photoshop and printing with them, but I think that will have to wait until next year. I'll certainly be going to their workshops as often as I can afford the money and vacation time required.

One workshop participant was a little put off by Alain's occasionally obvious marketing of himself, but it wasn't a big deal. They do have to define a specific area to work on in each workshop, and this one was about shooting. We did delve into printing and Photoshop a bit during the print reviews because it was appropriate, but that area could easily fill and entire set of workshops. Of course Alain and Natalie offer such workshops, and of course they mentioned it in context. I didn't feel it was at all aggressive marketing, just a gentle "We're here to work on shooting, but if you want to learn post-processing and printing we teach that, too. We can get you a schedule and pricing right after this session."

I feel that I had pretty high expectations going into the workshop, and all of my expectations were exceeded. I knew what I wanted from the workshop, I read all of Alain's writings before attending (they give you a short list specific to the workshop after registration if you don't want to read ALL of it), and asked questions specifically toward my goal. Even now, months after the workshop, I'm very enthusiastic about it.

* I have no affiliation with Alain and Natalie (except as a one-time customer), Michael (except that I subscribe to LLVJ), or anyone else in the photographic industry. I'm just an enthusiastic hobbyist, and these opinions are my own. *

[a href=\"http://beautiful-photo.com]Beautiful-Photo.com[/url]

alexrodriguez

• http://www.Alejandro-Rodriguez.com
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 10:03:15 am »

* I have no affiliation with Alain and Natalie (except as a one-time customer), Michael (except that I subscribe to LLVJ), or anyone else in the photographic industry. I'm just an enthusiastic hobbyist, and these opinions are my own. *
Beautiful-Photo.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=70251\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks...I appreciate the feedback.

Alex

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 05:49:39 pm »

Jim,

Thank you for your comments on the Antelope workshop.  I only wanted to add that I personally divide photography in 4 different parts:

- Field work ("shooting")
- Scanning / Raw conversion, optimization and printing
- Matting & framing
- Selling & Marketing

As Jim explained we teach each part separately.  Why? Simply because in our estimate success hinges on focusing on one step at a time and on completing this step with the highest level of mastery. This allows you to do your best by focusing all your energy to this one goal.   As Jim explained we offer workshops covering each of these 4 steps.  

We have seen dramatic improvements in our students' work as a result.  Much more dramatic than when we used to teach all 4 steps at once.  Back then participants felt rushed and there was a lot of confusion about what each participant was focusing on and on the order of the steps.  There was also a lack of focus in the group, since not every participant was working on the same step.

We also found that not everyone is interested in completing all 4 steps.

Finally, we found that only a minority of students are interested in studying all 4 parts at once.  For most it is just too much material at once.  I know that it would have been so for me.  I can't imagine how I could have absorbed that much information in a few days.  I would have felt overwhelmed!

Good teaching is not just knowing the subject and being able to teach it.  It is also knowing how to divide the information into manageable quantities, and knowing how much to teach at any given time.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:58:30 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up