Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa moving to membership basis  (Read 15327 times)

Theodoros

Re: LuLa moving to membership basis
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:32 am »

Slobodan,

I may not agree but accept the contrarion viewpoint you seem to enjoy and continually display but I do accept it because it makes people think and respond.

I'm all against saying that what anyone writes, post, displays,  photographs, motion-graphs should be anyone's for the taking.

I'm also all against your tone of belittling anyone's offerings.   If you don't like it don't read ignore it, but honestly you must like it because you almost always respond.

+1....

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 10:54:30 am »

I will join US$12/year but I hope forum will be Free open to any persons.
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 11:08:48 am »

As stated above...The Forums will continue to be free, except for the For Sale part.  We do have a lot of short and long range projects planned.  We are excited and hope our readers will enjoy the site and what we have coming.  And, thanks to all that will be part of our future.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Theodoros

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 02:29:55 pm »

As stated above...The Forums will continue to be free, except for the For Sale part.  We do have a lot of short and long range projects planned.  We are excited and hope our readers will enjoy the site and what we have coming.  And, thanks to all that will be part of our future.

If the "for sale" part won't be view able from outsiders, then there will be no benefit for subscribers to list there as the vast majority of possible customers won't have access... Mind you that 90% of the listings (and members) is common with "Get DPI" and most current new subscribers are subscribing (to both fotums) exactly because of the sales threads.... (which are by far the most "live" ones)... MO is that if you decide to "close" the sales forum to subscribers, you'll lose subscribers than gaining... just my 2 cents...  ;)

Theodoros

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »

Chiek, I have responded with more info on the "other thread" and would be glad to hear back from you on the solutions...

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2015, 06:54:11 pm »

J,

The clean way to make money off a web site these days is by an open site with some sponsored content, marked as such.

If all else fails, I will donate a few decent bottles of wine to any forum members who want to come to an annual times bygone reunion here in Paris - I am sure we could even turn this into a movable feast, doing a trip to a new place every year  :)

Edmund

The way the huff Post works is they pick and chose anything they want to copy or link to, just to feed their user base and turn a profit.  Actually they sold their site to some company like google or yahoo (I don't really follow this stuff cause I don't care) but they did sell their site for big money.

That's the way modern media works, the don't actually hire journalists, image creators, they just link to them or copy their work and the people that create by learning, studying, working, vetting their sources are paid pennies, or nothing instead of a living wage.

Is it legal . . . I guess so because they seem to keep doing it.  Is it moral?  To me taking someone else's content and using it for commerce is wrong.

Slobodan,

I may not agree but accept the contrarion viewpoint you seem to enjoy and continually display but I do accept it because it makes people think and respond.

I'm all against saying that what anyone writes, post, displays,  photographs, motion-graphs should be anyone's for the taking.

I'm also all against your tone of belittling anyone's offerings.   If you don't like it don't read ignore it, but honestly you must like it because you almost always respond.

Let's be real, this all comes down to this forum and as I said I'm all for Michael and Chris making bank cause they give us a place to talk and commune and I respect them for their efforts and base honesty.

But I'm against Kevin (and excuse me if I'm wrong but my limited experience and view of Kevin is once a PR guy always a PR guy) for attempting a way to make money from not paying for content but using it to drive a user base and the only reason he changed his view is because people I know that produce interesting content were willing to walk.

Whether you, Kevin or the Huff Post thinks it's ok or legal means little to me. 

But is my or others content worth money.  Yes and I can show you my very large tax liabilities to prove it.

It's the idea that taking this content for free then selling it I find wrong.

Unfortunately I don't think this is over.   Once tried and failed means one more time to try it again and guys like Kevin never give up, the just come back with a different plan and that is why I began removing posts and content.

PS.  If I'm wrong on my view of Kevin my contact numbers are always available and I'm willing to hear to a different view from him personally.  Then If wrong I'll report so.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 06:58:16 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Ken R

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2015, 07:07:06 pm »

Forum is free. Trolls are staying. Nothing has changed in this part of the site.
Business as usual.

Jajaja. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they should put in effect a pay to troll policy. $12 a year for first offenders, with a 2nd offence it goes up to $24, 3rd $48 and so on. At last that would make the trolls useful in maintaining the site instead of discouraging participation and hence contributions...

jsiva

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »

Jajaja. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe they should put in effect a pay to troll policy. $12 a year for first offenders, with a 2nd offence it goes up to $24, 3rd $48 and so on. At last that would make the trolls useful in maintaining the site instead of discouraging participation and hence contributions...

Some of these guys would have to sell their backs for even more than P1's list price ;D

Ken R

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2015, 07:43:17 pm »

Some of these guys would have to sell their backs for even more than P1's list price ;D

If they even own one. Most if not all do not. They dedicate their online lives to pounding on Phase One at every opportunity (or they create their own) and will not rest until PhaseOne falters and goes out of business and only used backs (cheap I might add) are left if anything. The sad thing is that it is only a handful of folks that do this but basically damage most threads in this forum. Had I been a moderator I would have not ben so patient. Funny thing is that if those trolls put all that effort into other aspects of their lives they would probably have so much money that the price of a new IQ380 and XF kit would be the equivalent to them of me buying a happy meal.

Anyway, back on topic.

I am really looking forward to the new content that Michael and Kevin (and others) are going to post and also the overall future of this site.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:48:04 pm by Ken R »

jsiva

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »

If they even own one. Most if not all do not. They dedicate their online lives to pounding on Phase One at every opportunity (or they create their own) and will not rest until PhaseOne falters and goes out of business and only used backs (cheap I might add) are left if anything. The sad thing is that it is only a handful of folks that do this but basically damage most threads in this forum. Had I been a moderator I would have not ben so patient. Funny thing is that if those trolls put all that effort into other aspects of their lives they would probably have so much money that the price of a new IQ380 and XF kit would be the equivalent to them of me buying a happy meal.

Anyway, back on topic.

I am really looking forward to the new content that Michael and Kevin (and others) are going to post and also the overall future of this site.

Ha, so true.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »

Agreed and the For Sale forum is another entirely user-written forum which I consider does not justify payment for. It's not that USD12 a year is a great cost but I expect the cost of running this site is covered by advertisements and product sales.

Google provides free forums through Google Groups and we could all migrate there. In fact, right after this post, I will set up through Google Groups a free Worldwide camera and photography gear for sale group. All welcome for free.
Roger

PS Group now set up. Go to: Worldwide camera & photography gear for sale Google Group. You must have a Google account to post but you do not need a gmail address.

If the "for sale" part won't be view able from outsiders, then there will be no benefit for subscribers to list there as the vast majority of possible customers won't have access... Mind you that 90% of the listings (and members) is common with "Get DPI" and most current new subscribers are subscribing (to both fotums) exactly because of the sales threads.... (which are by far the most "live" ones)... MO is that if you decide to "close" the sales forum to subscribers, you'll lose subscribers than gaining... just my 2 cents...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 03:48:16 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2015, 04:12:08 pm »

As I understand the way it should work, the For Sale area will be readable by all (thus open to searches) but in that single section, only members may post - unlike the rest of the Forum which will be totally open.

Chris S
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:40:11 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Theodoros

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2015, 04:41:54 pm »

As I understand the way it should work, the For Sale area will be readable by all (thus open to searches) but only members may post.

Chris S
It would still lead to only some people listing equipment here (at the beginig) and on other forums as well and the other forums to have much more listings (and choices for buyers as a result...). Eventually, the "for sale" thread will fade out as buyers would find the equipment listed here existing on other forums and many more additional choices on these other forums too... It will end up to subscribers finding worthless to list equipment here, when a possible sale will only come from other lists...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »

Hi,

Same here. Actually, I feel that the forums are the greatest value at LuLa and I am happy to hear they stay free.

In a way, I would say I feel that LuLa has been a bit weak on content lately, but that may depend on taste. Personally, I like Jeff Schewe stuff, he is sort of both knowledgeable and quite entertaining… To be honest, I appreciate both!

And yes, I will gladly accept any reasonable fee to keep things up and running.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2015, 05:42:03 pm »

...Eventually, the "for sale" thread will fade out as buyers would find the equipment listed here existing on other forums and many more additional choices on these other forums too... It will end up to subscribers finding worthless to list equipment here, when a possible sale will only come from other lists...
If that turns out to be the case, it is simply remedied - this is not written in stone. We hope to get readers for the site - not simply For Sale posters.

Theodoros

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »

If that turns out to be the case, it is simply remedied - this is not written in stone. We hope to get readers for the site - not simply For Sale posters.

Yeah... but members on sites are mainly attracted because of the sale forum... It could (it will IMO) affect the whole site...

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2015, 11:39:37 am »

Hi,

A reasonable approach, if I may say...

Best regards
Erik

As I understand the way it should work, the For Sale area will be readable by all (thus open to searches) but in that single section, only members may post - unlike the rest of the Forum which will be totally open.

Chris S
Erik Kaffehr

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2015, 09:32:48 pm »

I want to take the time to thank LULA guys, Michael and Kevin and all here that post in the forum. It's been a long time and a lot of learning.
The first few years I never dared to post, I just read and learnt. I think it was after reading the 100 something pages in the Architecture Photography topic, that I did my first move.
So glad that now I get to watch all those videos for a $1 a month.
Thanks LULA.
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:13 pm »

My thanks too to all of the above.
I look forward to the new voyage.

Eric Myrvaagnes
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Miyata610

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 01:50:12 am »

Well, I just paid my $12.

Seems fair.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up