Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embarrassing question: how does Adobe's Creative Cloud work for existing LR user  (Read 4456 times)

uintaangler

I have been using Lightroom for years, own a copy of Photoshop but never use it.
I also use a couple of plug-ins to "finish" my landscape images: Nik Color Effects and ON1 Perfect Effects 9.
So far I have avoided what appears to be the inevitable migration to the Creative Cloud monthly subscription and it is not over the $10 a month fee - I am not computer savvy and I hate to fix something that ain't broke.

My question is, how do I change over to the Creative Cloud?
I sign up and pay my first $9.99 payment and then what?

Do I do anything differently or simply open up Lightroom like I have always done and begin working on my images?

Will I have to do anything with my current LR catalog when I change over to CC?

Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site

You have to do very little other than upgrade through Adobe's site. It will push you towards the CC option, and you'll find it difficult to find the alternative.

It installs the CC App, a small program that then had buttons to install Lr and PS. You also get Lightroom Mobile which you can install on iOS or Android, and the corresponding Lightroom Web for the browser.

When you have installed and opened Lightroom CC, it will try to open your previous catalogue and update it.

John

uintaangler

You have to do very little other than upgrade through Adobe's site. It will push you towards the CC option, and you'll find it difficult to find the alternative.

It installs the CC App, a small program that then had buttons to install Lr and PS. You also get Lightroom Mobile which you can install on iOS or Android, and the corresponding Lightroom Web for the browser.

When you have installed and opened Lightroom CC, it will try to open your previous catalogue and update it.

John

John,
Do I want CC to open and update my previous catalog???
Thanks,
Bob

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Yes you do, Bob. The update process first copies your catalogue, for safety, and then upgrades the database format.

John

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

In my experience it is a very smooth process. The CC versions of PS and LR will install, your old versions will remain functional. As always, backup catalog and images first! Plug-ins do not carry over automatically, you must reinstall them for CC again (and some do not work with the new version, this is the main reason I have kept my old PS 5.1).

uintaangler

In my experience it is a very smooth process. The CC versions of PS and LR will install, your old versions will remain functional. As always, backup catalog and images first! Plug-ins do not carry over automatically, you must reinstall them for CC again (and some do not work with the new version, this is the main reason I have kept my old PS 5.1).

Will I encounter problems with Perfect Effects 9?
That would make me sad.

Denis de Gannes

That would make me sad.
Works fine for me on my iMac 27" Retina mid 2015
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

davidedric

Works ok with me on Win7, though I'm now on Photo 10.  Do get the occasional hang, but nothing I can't live with.

Dave

bassman51

The code base for LR 6 and LR CC are identical.  The primary difference is (aside from the way you pay) CC gets updated periodically with new features, where LR 6 won't (you'll presumably be able to buy LR 7 at some point which might "catch up" feature-wise).  All add-ons and extensions should work the same way. 

The name "Cloud" is extremely confusing.   There's pretty much no "cloud" aspect to the way the product operates, at least today.  It's still a lot of code installed on your machine, operating on image files stored on your machine.  An exception is the availability of synchronizing images between your desktop and a mobile device using the LR Mobile app. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

I have been using Lightroom for years, own a copy of Photoshop but never use it.

Sorry to do this, but the question has to be asked: why bother going to CC if you don't use Photoshop? It will cost you $120 for the first year (who knows how much for years 2+) vs the upgrade price of $80. Do the math - it isn't worth it unless you absolutely must have the Dehaze and B&W fine-tuning (the only reason to go to LR CC instead of upgrading to LR stand-alone 6), why bother? Once you go to CC, and begin processing files, there's no turning back (for those files, anyway).

If, after a year of using LR6 stand-alone, Adobe makes LR CC-only, you have choice to stay with LR stand-alone ad infinitum for no additional cost, go to CC or jump ship to C1 or another DAM/RAW converter app.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

adias

Sorry to do this, but the question has to be asked: why bother going to CC if you don't use Photoshop? It will cost you $120 for the first year (who knows how much for years 2+) vs the upgrade price of $80. Do the math - it isn't worth it unless you absolutely must have the Dehaze and B&W fine-tuning (the only reason to go to LR CC instead of upgrading to LR stand-alone 6), why bother? Once you go to CC, and begin processing files, there's no turning back (for those files, anyway).

If, after a year of using LR6 stand-alone, Adobe makes LR CC-only, you have choice to stay with LR stand-alone ad infinitum for no additional cost, go to CC or jump ship to C1 or another DAM/RAW converter app.

No reason to go CC unless one wants every new feature added to the CC version.

Simon Garrett

No reason to go CC unless one wants any new feature added to the CC version.

If you want any new feature of LR before LR7 (except new camera and lens support) then you can get it only with CC.
If you want any new feature of Photoshop (including new camera and lens support) then you can get it only with CC. 

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

No reason to go CC unless one wants any new feature added to the CC version.

If you want any new feature of LR before LR7 (except new camera and lens support) then you can get it only with CC.
If you want any new feature of Photoshop (including new camera and lens support) then you can get it only with CC. 

Yes - I SAID THAT!! And I quote:

"it isn't worth it unless you absolutely must have the Dehaze and B&W fine-tuning (the only reason to go to LR CC instead of upgrading to LR stand-alone 6)"

It's all about perspective:  If you're a "gotta have right away" kind of person then you might just think that $10/mo is worth it (even if you don't use PS). However, if that take the long view of "I've done very well without all the newest wiz-bang features for this long, another year or so won't kill me" then you might think "Meh - I'll wait for LR7".

I realize this is a minority view amongst consumers, but it's real.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Denis de Gannes

Yes - I SAID THAT!! And I quote:

"it isn't worth it unless you absolutely must have the Dehaze and B&W fine-tuning (the only reason to go to LR CC instead of upgrading to LR stand-alone 6)"

It's all about perspective:  If you're a "gotta have right away" kind of person then you might just think that $10/mo is worth it (even if you don't use PS). However, if that take the long view of "I've done very well without all the newest wiz-bang features for this long, another year or so won't kill me" then you might think "Meh - I'll wait for LR7".

I realize this is a minority view amongst consumers, but it's real.

I prefer to view the Creative Cloud Photographers package as acquiring Photoshop CC the premier photo editing package from Adobe, which includes Adobe Camera Raw Plugin for rendering raw files.
This alone justifies the monthly lease of US$9.99.

The "icing on the cake" so to speak is that you also get Lightroom CC free gratis, bearing in mind that one of the primary functions of Lightroom the Develop Module is already provided in the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin. This is a no brainer for Adobe.

Users who are not interested in the advanced features available in Photoshop CC and wish to purchase the perpetual version of Lightroom version 6. are actually paying a high premium.
For me there is really no Lightroom CC package.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

brandon

I prefer to view the Creative Cloud Photographers package as acquiring Photoshop CC the premier photo editing package from Adobe, which includes Adobe Camera Raw Plugin for rendering raw files.
This alone justifies the monthly lease of US$9.99.

The "icing on the cake" so to speak is that you also get Lightroom CC free gratis, bearing in mind that one of the primary functions of Lightroom the Develop Module is already provided in the Adobe Camera Raw Plugin. This is a no brainer for Adobe.

Users who are not interested in the advanced features available in Photoshop CC and wish to purchase the perpetual version of Lightroom version 6. are actually paying a high premium.
For me there is really no Lightroom CC package.
Yep, and the OP was about for a person who never uses PS
Pages: [1]   Go Up