Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus EM-1 Strap Lug Failure  (Read 4690 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Olympus EM-1 Strap Lug Failure
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:03:24 am »

We were in Paris ten days ago - sadly over the weekend of the recent attacks.  While wandering around a public garden I suddenly realised my camera, which was hanging by it's strap around my neck, was sliding rapidly down and before I could grab it hit the compacted soil path.  Luckily it was fitted with probably the lightest lens I have ever owned - the Panasonic 14mm, so the impact was lessened.

On inspection the left hand lug had pulled right out from the camera body.  It appears it is held in with two threaded screws which had disappeared inside the body, leaving two holes.  The camera had a slight scuff but otherwise seemed to operate normally.

The body is about 18 months old and does get a lot of use as I shoot most of my weddings with it now, and it is sometimes slung with the much heavier 40-150 2.8 lens.  But I have never had a lug pull out of a body like that before.  Therefore I suggest that if you have an EM-1 body you check to see if there is any apparent loosening of the lugs as I am assuming the screws may have worked loose over a period of time rather than just pulling right out.  With a heavy lens and a concrete surface the outcome would have been quite different - especially for the lens.

On the plus side - I contacted the Olympus helpline and they were excellent.  I was straight through to a knowledgable operator who arranged for a courier to collect the camera, and it has been returned repaired today after five days away.  Excellent service I would say!

Jim

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
Re: Olympus EM-1 Strap Lug Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:35 am »

Every camera will fail one day, that's a fact. Only if the maker is able and willing to provide rapid repair service a camera is fit for professional work.

When Hasselblad decided, it would be a good idea to keep my camera for more than 10 weeks for a rather simple repair, i decided to sell the whole system.

Having a backup is common sense, but needing a backup for the backup due to crap customer service is unacceptable.

Your problem with the lug shouldn't have happened, but Olympus made up for it, I think!
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

GLJ

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 10:51:36 am »

On inspection the left hand lug had pulled right out from the camera body.

Unfortunately, I've seen this fault reported on a number of occasions with recent Olympus bodies. Yours is not an isolated case.

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:56:04 am »

Unfortunately, I've seen this fault reported on a number of occasions with recent Olympus bodies. Yours is not an isolated case.

That is interesting - makes me a little wary of slinging the camera over my shoulder while rushing around....

Jim

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:20:05 am »

Thanks for the heads up on this issue.  I'm heading over to the UK for Christmas and will take my EM1 and EM5 with just a couple of lenses as they are smaller than my other kits.  I'll check them both...

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:33 am »

On the plus side - I contacted the Olympus helpline and they were excellent.  I was straight through to a knowledgeable operator who arranged for a courier to collect the camera, and it has been returned repaired today after five days away.  Excellent service I would say!

Jim

Me too - I lost an E-M1 lug a while back and the camera had a close encounter with a concrete sidewalk. The LCD screen cracked but still works. Fortunately, hanging the camera by the remaining lug worked for the few days I was photographing in Chicago. I have not done anything about it since mostly because of lazyness and the fact that I have been doing little photography lately. But, your good experience with Olympus service prompts me to get my butt in gear. Do you happen to have the Olympus service # handy?

henk

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 01:56:25 pm »

Hello,
Never use the Olympus strap. To much unpayed Advertising :) Use the very sollid and comfotable "Carry Speed" sling
Henk

Jim Pascoe

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 02:32:14 pm »

Hello,
Never use the Olympus strap. To much unpayed Advertising :) Use the very sollid and comfotable "Carry Speed" sling
Henk

I think what strap is used is immaterial - mine was a leather one.  It was the lug on the body that broke.

Jim

henk

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 04:02:06 pm »

I think what strap is used is immaterial - mine was a leather one.  It was the lug on the body that broke.

Jim
Yes, but this strap fits in the 3pod hole!
Henk
Pages: [1]   Go Up