Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WET SCANNING on IMACON - Hassleblad Flextight X5 Scanner - Anyone?  (Read 1798 times)

paraba

Has anyone tried a work around technique to use wet scanning methods with a Imacon scanner to reduce dust and scratches?

It could be from the the good old Vaseline method to using newer like KAMI fluid or Lumina fluid.

What could work to reduce dust and scratches both in B&W 35 mm negatives and color transparencies.

Any ideas? Web page links, DIY resources to look up?

And whatever happened to the website ScanScience? Their contact us email form is not working. The phone number listed is invalid?? 1-519-941- 8382

They claim that they have some solution for Imacon but list in their PDF to contact them.

Any resource, DIY, tricks, techniques would help but only for Imacon's magnetic film holders.

Thanks

andy.k

Re: WET SCANNING on IMACON - Hassleblad Flextight X5 Scanner - Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:05:44 am »

I was thinking about doing this myself (although I've decided that for now the benefits are not worth the work).
I feel that the best approach would be cutting a holder for extra clearance around a specific format, and using
appropriately sized mylar (or whatever material it is) to sandwich the film, taping all around and using the
magnetic flap for support. As I see it, stumbling block one making a reasonable punch and die for a 4.25" x 5.25" hole,
or in your case 26.5mm x 38.5 mm. Stumbling block two would be making up a mounting bench, because the
idea of naptha/equivalent getting all over the scanner doesn't have a lot of appeal and there isn't all that much
room to work with the holder on the scanner (for the taping, squeegee-ing and such).

Instead I've gone with higher diligence on predusting the film manually, and finishing up with copious electronics duster.
However, as you say for archival work and thoroughly (though lightly) scratched materials that wouldn't be enough.
In my case I'm luckily working mostly with recent work (90% my own/gf's), and from people who bring it to me straight from a lab or
a well looked after archive.

andy.k

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:09:33 am »

the good old Vaseline method

just had a thought, in my analogue darkroom time the old nose oil trick (on a q-tip) would
really make a big difference on some fairly gross gouges, at least for b&w. perhaps some
very light application of a transparent filler like vaseline would be all you'd need?

Matulaitis

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »

I have done this using No Scratch applied to the film, film in normal holder, no sandwiching mylar etc.  Works fairly well just like it used to work in the darkroom.  Then when you're done, clean the neg and the holder.

Imacon 848.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 03:46:32 pm »

In the old days, Imacon did sell a kit that allowed for 'wet' scanning. It's been too long since I owned this scanner and never used this kit but do recall it being available. Might see if someone who was associated with Imacon can dig one up or provide the specifics.

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00SzxS
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:54:21 pm by digitaldog »
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up