Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pany/Oly Remote - Pop-up flash as master > Off-camera flash as slave question  (Read 1035 times)

FrankG

M43 Panasonic / Olympus remote flash

I have bought a NIssin i40 as an off-camera flash for the Panasonic GX7 (wire-lessly). It is optically triggered by the pop-up flash. But I do not want the pop-up flash to illuminate the scene.
I see that i can set camera menu> 'communications light. to low' but that still allows the pop-up light to show in the scene.
Using the camera's FlashExposureCompensation probably affects only the remote off-camera flash, so that doesn't help to dial down the pop-up flash

I cannot find a piece of IR filter in gel form, as I've read sufggested suggested to place over pop-up, but I do have (I'm an old guy) a piece of developed slide film (frame 37:-) that I'm told could also work.
And I also have a piece of gel ND filter which I could attach to the pop-up with double sided tape.

Would either of these work equally well to eliminate the pop-up's illumination of the scene?
Is there a point at which the density of the film or the filter prevents the optical triggering from camera to remote flash from working (the off camera flash not seeing it)?

vampire

You can get a cheap diffuser for the popup flash that attaches to the flash shoe and put black tape over it. I got a cheap one that worked pretty well, I think off amazon. The main issue is that even at lowest power, it really drains the battery. This is for a center flash on a gh4 type camera. Not sure if it's an off center flash

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon

I picked up a pair of Yongnuo RF605C remote flash releases recently to use with my GH2 and they work very well. They will also control Yongnuo flashes, which do have a remote strength control. The remotes can also be used as a remote shutter control with the addition of a remote-to-camera shutter cable. You can even use these features together and leave the camera on a tripod and walk around with the flash attached to the 2nd remote, and when triggered, the flash will flash and camera takes the photo. Works very nicely.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up