Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Made my first profile with i1Display Pro... now what?  (Read 2341 times)

earlybird

Made my first profile with i1Display Pro... now what?
« on: November 22, 2015, 04:16:15 pm »

Hi,
 I got an i1Display Pro today. I used it and saved a profile. I see that my previous set up was quite blue or cool in comparison to the look of my display now and his explains why I was often times compensating by backing off on yellows when I sent out for prints.

I am having trouble figuring out how to set up the rest of windows. I was using SRGB as default and the same files looked the same everywhere on my system. Now jpegs look bright in Photoshop and garish and dark in Windows Photo Viewer. The jpegs look ok in Chrome browser, Quicktime player (don't ask why I checked there... I don't know why), Internet Explorer, and Firefox.

I am also confused about the proof options in Photoshop. When I soft proof a 16bit .Tiff to SRGB I see a dramatic change but I also see a change if I have my proof color set up to either Monitor RGB (which I assumed would now be the default custom profile) or if I select a custom proof where I specify the custom profile I just made. I would have thought that I would see no change when soft proofing as my Windows default is set to the custom profile.

I am using a Toshiba i7 laptop with Win 7 x64 Pro and Photoshop CS6.

I knew transitioning from SRGB as default was going to cause some uncertainty and now I am unsure how to get used to using the custom profile.

Thank you.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Made my first profile with i1Display Pro... now what?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 05:03:00 pm »

Now jpegs look bright in Photoshop and garish and dark in Windows Photo Viewer.
Then your copy of Photo Viewer isn't color managed or your document doesn't have an embedded profile or something. In ICC aware app's, everything should match.
As for your browser: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

D Fosse

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:23:54 pm »

You're now seeing the difference between color managed and non color managed applications. Windows doesn't come into it, no color management happens there. It's all on application level.

It used to be all wrong, and now some of them are right. So that's progress. Now you need to find out which are and which are not.

if I have my proof color set up to either Monitor RGB (which I assumed would now be the default custom profile)

Don't proof, don't do anything. The monitor profile is set up at system level and used by color managed applications without any intervention from you. Just run the software, done, that's it.

Proof is something else, that's for checking gamut clipping in an output profile, usually a print profile, prior to printing.

TonyW

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:44:15 pm »

... Now jpegs look bright in Photoshop and garish and dark in Windows Photo Viewer. The jpegs look ok in Chrome browser, Quicktime player (don't ask why I checked there... I don't know why), Internet Explorer, and Firefox....
I am pretty sure that Windows Photo Viewer(WPV) is actually colour managed.  Therefore the application honours embedded profiles and displays them correctly (if no embedded profile the app. assumes sRGB), but...

I suspect the problem viewing in WPV is that the profiles have been made at the default i1 Display setting which I believe is ICC v4.  WPV only understands ICC v2 profiles.  So if you redo your profiling after setting the X Rite application to produce v2 icc profiles you should get the same result in all colour managed applications

Pictus

• Retouching
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

I am pretty sure that Windows Photo Viewer(WPV) is actually colour managed.  Therefore the application honours embedded profiles and displays them correctly (if no embedded profile the app. assumes sRGB), but...

I suspect the problem viewing in WPV is that the profiles have been made at the default i1 Display setting which I believe is ICC v4.  WPV only understands ICC v2 profiles.  So if you redo your profiling after setting the X Rite application to produce v2 icc profiles you should get the same result in all colour managed applications

V4 is the problem...

BTW, the next step is to use Argyll+DispcalGUI :)
http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/870355/1#post17806610

earlybird

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:54:07 pm »

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments.

earlybird

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 06:57:10 pm »

Thank you.

I made a new profile using version 2 and now Windows Picture Viewer seems to work fine. I had used the basic process and it seems to only save profile in version 4. I used the advanced process and was able to select a version 2 profile as an option.

earlybird

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:33 pm »

Hi,
 I remain confused about a few things in my Color Management dialog...

edit: I was cleaning up my server and deleted the screen shots that were posted here.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 11:04:38 am by earlybird »

earlybird

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »

I think I figured out the answer to part 2 of my previous question by searching out and reading this:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=76312.0

This forum sure has a lot of good info.  :)

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 08:42:51 pm »

Hi,
 I remain confused about a few things in my Color Management dialog.

The X-rite app saved the custom profile so it is associated with my User account.

I am the sole user of the system so it seems like I should set the system default to the custom profile as well. Yes? No? Maybe?

I am also confused by the choices in the advanced TABs of Color Management, starting with the reference of the "Device Profile" to sRGB. Is this in conflict with the use of a custom profile or should I disregard this and the other listing in the advanced tab?:

Thank you.

Be aware that all Adobe applications, Photoshop, Lightroom etc will use the Operating System Default Display profile for your displaying images on your monitor. So if you are using a hardware device to calibrate and profile your monitor make sure it is set as the Default.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

earlybird

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:05:37 am »

Thanks.

I went ahead and set the system defaults to the custom profile too.

D Fosse

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 09:57:03 am »

Thanks.

I went ahead and set the system defaults to the custom profile too.

Don't do that! Leave the advanced tab strictly alone. There's nothing there that ever needs to be changed.

The only place the i1 profile should appear is in the Devices tab, marked as (default). The display profile that appears here is the one all color managed applications will use, and again, no user intervention required.

You don't even need to go into this dialog at all, except to verify the profile. The i1 software handles everything by itself.

earlybird

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 10:19:19 am »

Don't do that! Leave the advanced tab strictly alone. There's nothing there that ever needs to be changed.

The only place the i1 profile should appear is in the Devices tab, marked as (default). The display profile that appears here is the one all color managed applications will use, and again, no user intervention required.

You don't even need to go into this dialog at all, except to verify the profile. The i1 software handles everything by itself.

Yes. Thank you for the information.

I read about the Advanced tab WCS choices in this link http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=76312.0 and I left everything in the Advanced tab untouched.

What I meant to say is that in addition to the Devices tab associated with my "User" account I also set my custom profile to the default in my "System Defaults". I have never fully understood how windows layers User setting over the Administrator and System Defaults because I have only operated computers in circumstances where I am the sole user. I do understand that many computers are used by multiple users, but I have never had to learn about that. I went ahead and set my "System Defaults" to the custom profile in case I ever stumble into using an application when I am not logged into my own computer as myself. I doubt it was necessary to do this but I am imagining that it doesn't hurt anything either. If I have made a mistake I am eager to learn more.

Thank you for your help.

D Fosse

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 10:52:48 am »

Ah, I see. A lot of people seem to think they have to do something after the calibrator has run, which they don't, hence the exclamation mark.

I too have always been administrator of my own systems, so user accounts is not something I normally think about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up