Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Leica SL available - looks oversized

(1/5) > >>

hasselbladfan:
Saw yesterday the new Leica SL in a store in Europe. Unfortunately the store was closed, but I still got the brochure.

The camera is easily 25% larger than the Sony, but the most shocking was the size of the new SL lenses (3). They are bigger than the Leica S line. We are talking Otus sizes on a slim mirror-less body.

Funny part was that this seem the only camera I have seen where the Noctilux looks small when it is mounted.

Performance data look impressive on paper (AF, EVF, 11i/s; ..), why put it in such an oversized package. :(

hasselbladfan:
Here are the pictures.

MarkL:
I think this is a good thing actually. For too long mirrorless has been obsessing about being a compromise and smaller than a dslr rather than being about a serious tool with the advantages ditching the mirror gives. Smaller cameras have a place but for many, a true ‘first camera’ dslr replacement needs to be large enough to handle well and cope with large zooms and fast full-frame lenses. Like it or not the fast lenses pros and serious photographers often demand along with strong optical performance means large lenses (see Zeiss, Sigma art etc.)

I think in the future as the slr gets left behind we’ll have both large and small mirrorless cameras. Whether with improving sensor performance the smaller ones will be aps-c or m4/3 and the larger ones 35mm or whether Sony will making small 35mm frame bodies remains to be seen. Personally I wouldn’t mind an A7 sized body with very high performing small f/2.8 lenses as well as a larger camera.

MoreOrLess:

--- Quote from: MarkL on November 22, 2015, 10:56:27 am ---I think this is a good thing actually. For too long mirrorless has been obsessing about being a compromise and smaller than a dslr rather than being about a serious tool with the advantages ditching the mirror gives. Smaller cameras have a place but for many, a true ‘first camera’ dslr replacement needs to be large enough to handle well and cope with large zooms and fast full-frame lenses. Like it or not the fast lenses pros and serious photographers often demand along with strong optical performance means large lenses (see Zeiss, Sigma art etc.)

I think in the future as the slr gets left behind we’ll have both large and small mirrorless cameras. Whether with improving sensor performance the smaller ones will be aps-c or m4/3 and the larger ones 35mm or whether Sony will making small 35mm frame bodies remains to be seen. Personally I wouldn’t mind an A7 sized body with very high performing small f/2.8 lenses as well as a larger camera.

--- End quote ---

That does beg the question of course is a new lens mount even needed? it makes sense for Leica to go this route as they don't have an existing AF mount(besides the T of course) and using both M and R mount lenses is likely to be a significant appeal but Canon and Nikon don't have those issues.

Slobodan Blagojevic:
I had a chance to handle SL and S2 at the same time. While S2 is a pleasure to look at and handle, SL is anything but. Unbalanced and clunky.

On a side note, while EVF might be state-of-the-art on SL, it is still jerky when either subject or camera moves even a little. The pleasure of looking through S2's OVF is incomparable. And before someone starts touting all the advantages of an EVF, I am not getting into that, just commenting on one single aspect: a direct and almost intimate connection with the subject, when looking through a large and uncluttered optical viewfinder. When shooting landscape, still life, or architecture, it does not really matter much. But shooting people and grabbing that split-second glance or micro facial expression, becoming immersed in the subject, you can hardly beat an OVF.

In my opinion, of course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version