Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting Video to the Computer  (Read 1903 times)

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
Getting Video to the Computer
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:21:08 am »

This is a newbie question. I'm shooting a little video with the A7R II. What is the best way to get the files (clips) to the computer? For now, I've been dragging and dropping, then importing into Resolve from the folder I've created. I use Resolve for both editing and grading. I know Red Giant had Bulletproof, as a sort of Lightroom approach to video, but it had its issues and has since been discontinued. Anyway, I was just curious if my drag and drop approach is sound or totally ass backwards, as they say. Thanks everyone!

Best,
JB Rasor 

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: Getting Video to the Computer
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:51 am »

First, I would create a local copy of the camera card within a new folder on a fast drive *changing nothing*. Simply copy the entire card to that new uniquely-named folder. This serves as your Master video file and should never be changed. Making a backup is also a good idea unless you plan to store the actual camera card as backup. Directory hierarchy & naming can be important here as Resolve can mirror that for you on Import (see below) if you wish to organize within the Finder

There are many options on import within Resolve 12. Work with the one you like best - it makes little difference.

- Create new Project
- Go to Media page
- Bottom left, right click to create a new Bin within Master Bin, naming appropriately
- Top left of media page, navigate to the folder just created until you can see the actual media files appear in the viewer when selected. Here you can scrub and select as required.
- You can also set In & Out points on the files should you wish to import a selected portion. By right clicking on the Viewer's playhead you can create these shorter/smaller Sub-Clips on import. Since storage is inexpensive, I rarely ever do this but the function is there if you need it.
- To Import within Resolve, Drag & Drop is a perfectly acceptable method either within Resolve or from the Finder into Resolve's Media Pool; or right click a file and select Add to Media Pool; or right click the folder containing the media and in one stroke import all the files within; or right click and choose all media within folder AND sub-folders - so if you have stored a complete day's shoot from multiple cards within a dated folder, you can import all cards at once.
- One can also drag & drop the folders from top left to bottom left which can create the identical folder structure within the bin area of Resolve - thus mirroring any folder structure already on your media storage drive. Really neat.

JB Rasor

• JB Rasor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:06:09 am »

Chris,

Thank you so much for the info! Sorry for my late reply.

Your response sums up everything perfectly. I'm doing a tutorial on Resolve now, which is quite good, although it presumes the user already has media on the source drives ready to cut and grade. I appreciate the detailed workflow you laid out. I think that will make life a lot easier!

Best!!
JB

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:38:56 am »

I'd just ad that we could never stress enough the importance
Of what Chris pointed here concerning the all structure,
Including sub-folder and naming convention not just
In the case of Resolve but in any environement.
Too many hassles happened for changing structures,
File names etc...
Once a software points to a media it's done. All namings can
Be affected within a software because it justs assigns a
Different metas but points to the same original structure
That it expects to be unchanged.

For the beginners, it's maybe more graphic to use an image:
My name is Fred, I'm french and I live in Madrid.
So you import me into Resolve AS it. It can not be Fred, english, Madrid capital.
Once you've imported, you can change the file names inside,
Such as Fred becomes Cooter, american, Texas. But in fact
The software still points to Fred, french, Madrid and expect
That to be unchanged. All it does is to assign other properties.
It is not "Fred becomes Cooter" but "assign (display) Cooter to Fred"
Then, you can rechange Cooter to Chris, Chris, Toronto, Spain...
But it still points in reality to Fred, french, Madrid.
And beware of the drives also (drive names should remain unchanged too)

All what Chris pointed is drasticaly important. You can be creative
Exept in this area. For ex if you roundtripp to Fusion, use
Proxies etc...no mess with original file names and structure
Otherwise it's the open gate to see the red alert: media off line appears..
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:47:58 am by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up