Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 28mm f2.8 shift lens - Canon mount  (Read 9038 times)

cgf

• http://
Schneider 28mm f2.8 shift lens - Canon mount
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:10:56 pm »

Hi all,

I noticed this Schneider lens on BH today, Canon mount 28mm f2.8 manual focus with shift:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...oughType=search

I'm curious if anyone's used this lens? My internet searching has turned up almost no mention of it apart from shops selling it.  

f2.8 would be nice compared to 3.5 on the Canon T/S-24, and there's a slight difference in field of view (28mm instead of 24). And, of course, it's lacking the tilt capacity of the Canon lens. However, the Schneider is priced waaay higher - $1890 v $1100 for the Canon.

I'm wondering what I get for the extra $790? Is the image quality noticeable better? Or is the price difference just due to the brand name?

Thanks
Chris.

lensfiend

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:08:41 am »

Hi all,

I noticed this Schneider lens on BH today, Canon mount 28mm f2.8 manual focus with shift:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...oughType=search

I'm curious if anyone's used this lens? My internet searching has turned up almost no mention of it apart from shops selling it.   

f2.8 would be nice compared to 3.5 on the Canon T/S-24, and there's a slight difference in field of view (28mm instead of 24). And, of course, it's lacking the tilt capacity of the Canon lens. However, the Schneider is priced waaay higher - $1890 v $1100 for the Canon.

I'm wondering what I get for the extra $790? Is the image quality noticeable better? Or is the price difference just due to the brand name?

Thanks
Chris.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know about the Schneider but the 24mm TS-e on my 5D has changed the way I shoot.  You would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

cgf

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 10:04:05 am »

I don't know about the Schneider but the 24mm TS-e on my 5D has changed the way I shoot.  You would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yep that's what I've heard from a few people. I guess I'm curious whether it's the tilt/shift abilities that win people over, or if the canon lens is up to scratch v the more expensive schneider.

Peter Jon White

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 08:53:20 pm »

I haven't tried the Schneider. But I do have all three Canon TS-E lenses, and two of the 35 T/S lenses, one in original mount, and one converted to EF. They are all fine lenses, and for shooting landscapes they open up creative options that you simply don't have with other 35mm format lenses.

With other lenses, you're limited to using wide angles lenses for landscapes, because otherwise you can't get enough depth of field to get the entire image in sharp focus. And even with very wide lenses, you're still limited in how large you can print, as the circles of confusion can't be small enough.

With the ability to tilt, you can get a greater range of distances in focus with a 90mm lens than you can with a regular 24mm lens, because you can get the entire surface of the ground (within reason) into sharp focus, and you're only using depth of field to get tree tops and clouds into focus. It's amazing how liberating these lenses are.

Most 35mm shooters would never think of a 90mm lens being suitable for landscapes. But the 90MM TS-E is! So is the 24, and for the same reason.

And why even ask what the maximum aperture is, except as a focusing aid? For landscapes you'll be using a tripod. You'll never be shooting at maximum aperture, since there's always a reason to stop down for landscape shooting, even if only for the higher resolution most lenses deliver at f/8. Don't forget your tripod! ;-)

Ray

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 07:21:12 am »

I haven't tried the Schneider. But I do have all three Canon TS-E lenses, and two of the 35 T/S lenses, one in original mount, and one converted to EF. They are all fine lenses, and for shooting landscapes they open up creative options that you simply don't have with other 35mm format lenses.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The above comment just goes to show how variable lens QC is. The 24 TS-E has a very ordinary performance according to Photodo tests. My own copy is also very ordinary. The 90mm TS-E scores much higher on the Photodo tests and my copy seems to mirror that performance. The excuse is, the image circle of T&S lenses is larger than that of standard 35mm lenses, which makes it more difficult to maintain standard 35mm quality. The 90mm TS-E, although good (perhaps very good), is not outstanding.  

I would expect the Schneider 28mm shift lens to be significantly better than the Canon TS-E 24mm, but I also cannot find any reviews of this lens and I'm also in the dark.

cgf

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 11:03:54 am »

I would expect the Schneider 28mm shift lens to be significantly better than the Canon TS-E 24mm, but I also cannot find any reviews of this lens and I'm also in the dark.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Same problem I face, I haven't managed to find any comments or opinion from anyone who has used it, and I can't find any stockists here in Oz. If I go for it I'll have to do it sight unseen over the internet.

I just booked a trip to Easter Island, so I'm 99% sure I'll want at least a shift (rise) lens with me. And swing would be handy for getting everything in focus when shooting along the rows of statues.

Everyone who has the Canon seems to love it, so I would assume the quality is a long way better than the $350-ish ebay offerings from the Ukraine?

[a href=\"http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-35-2-8-TILT-SHIFT-Canon-Nikon-Minolta-NEW_W0QQitemZ7609868474QQcategoryZ707QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/MC-35-2-8-TILT-SHIFT-C...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Peter Jon White

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 12:40:24 pm »

The above comment just goes to show how variable lens QC is. The 24 TS-E has a very ordinary performance according to Photodo tests. My own copy is also very ordinary. The 90mm TS-E scores much higher on the Photodo tests and my copy seems to mirror that performance. The excuse is, the image circle of T&S lenses is larger than that of standard 35mm lenses, which makes it more difficult to maintain standard 35mm quality. The 90mm TS-E, although good (perhaps very good), is not outstanding. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=63054\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ray,

The problem here is with unrealistic expectations. A 24mm lens covering a 35mm frame is a rather wide angle lens. To cover that frame with movements requires an extreme wide angle lens. Extreme wide angle lenses are extremely difficult to design and manufacture. So it's just not reasonable to expect that type of lens to be able to produce images with the same resolution as a 90mm portrait lens or a normal 50. Even expecting the TS-E to deliver the same resolution as a f/2.8 for the 35mm frame is asking quite a bit as the lens has a much much wider field of view.

If the Schneider has the same image circle as the 24 Canon TS-E, it's not nearly as wide angle as the Canon, and ought to be sharper for that reason alone. I don't have any idea how the two lenses compare for image circle size.

So when I say the Canon is an excellent lens, I'm not saying it can put as sharp an image on the sensor as any of the other tilt/shift lenses Canon or others make and made in the past. I'm saying that for what it is, it's an excellent lens. Nobody else makes a T/S lens with as short a focal length as the Canon. And unless the Schneider or one of the Nikkors has a huge image circle, no other lens is as wide angle as the Canon.

It's like Harry Callahan said, "A guy's got to know his lens' limitations". ;-)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 03:42:58 pm »

It's my understanding that Schneider makes the 28mm in their version and the Leica version.  Lecia has 1st pick of the lenses.  

I have read good and bad reports of this lens on Canon mounts.  Some claim excellent results, where others so so.  

The Nikon 28mm Shift lens has often been compared to the Schneider 28mm.  I have used the nikon 28mm and didn't like it's results on full shift.  

The main issue I have read about on the 28mm Schneider is CA.  

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up