Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro: SSD + Convential Hard Drive  (Read 4246 times)

smahn

Macbook Pro: SSD + Convential Hard Drive
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »

I have a Mid 2012 MBP with conventional hard drive and a SuperDrive. I'm considering swapping out the SuperDrive for an SSD.

If so, to maximize LR and PS performance how do I configure them best. What goes where re: system, programs, cache, etc?

FWIW, I keep the LR catalog & image files on an external USB 3 drive for use on multiple computers.

Thanks.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Macbook Pro: SSD + Convential Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:40:33 pm »

Not a lot of answers to a question I am looking at myself, though not for Lightroom as I don't use it.
Swapping out the superdrive for an SSD appears to be a good option. I would put the OS and all programmes on it and leave the HD for data. You use an external drive anyway for Lightroom so keep doing that.

Most MBP have small drives anyway so just use the HD for other data.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

smahn

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 03:14:01 am »

Thanks for your response, Bob.

Tomorrow will arrive a 500 GB SSD which I will add to my MBP via a Data Doubler. I will (hopefully) put the software and programs on the SSD, as you suggest, and the rest of my files (from my User Folder) will remain on the SSD.

But I've never done such a migration. *HOW* does one get just their system and programs onto the SSD and still retain user level access to the HDD? Is just moving the system and apps while retaining full access to all files on the HDD an option in Migration Assistant?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:25:30 am by smahn »

philaitman

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 04:35:44 am »

I removed the SuperDrive and have two SSD's in my 2012 MacBook pro. one 512gb for system and software* and a 256gb which contains my current years photo library.

I cloned my existing drive with Carbon copy cloner and restored that clone to the new SSD which I temporarily installed in the space vacated by removing the SuperDrive, I then shutdown installed the SSD in the primary slot and rebooted. All went very well indeed with no issues.

There's a basic guide here http://www.imore.com/how-easily-clone-your-mac-using-superduper-or-carbon-copy-cloner

*This drive is large due to the fact that it also houses my sample library for my music composition. 256 is normally more than enough for a regular system drive

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:58:49 am »

Just make a TimeMachine backup before you pull the MBP apart. That way if you completely break it you can build a new computer.

Then do the mods and when you start it up again you should see the two drives.
Restore the TM backup onto the new drive and set the Start Up disk to be the SSD.
You may need an OS Instal USB but I don't think so.
Restart and you are running on the SSD.

smahn

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:59 am »

I understand how to take the entirety of one drive and put it on another, be it via cloning or migration.

What I don't understand is how to move only the system and programs.

I also want to be sure I never have trouble getting at the other files because of different users/permissions/passwords, etc.

Alos, FWIW, I don't know if it complicates things or not, but for the time being I'm currently running Mavericks on the HDD and would like to install El Capitan on the SSD.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:18:25 am by smahn »

degrub

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 10:08:44 am »

If you happen to be using MSOffice, you will likely have to re-enter the key after cloning. Maybe other software as well depending on how closely they tie it to the hardware. CCC is excellent.

I would clone to the SSD first, boot from it, and settle any issues before opening the laptop to move hardware. You may decide you don't need to do surgery.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 03:08:28 pm »

>would like to install El Capitan on the SSD
Easy. Instal El Capitan on the new drive first and then restore from the TM backup. You can then just pick either El Capitan or Mavericks from the Start Up preference.

Joe Towner

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 01:18:25 pm »

First and foremost, you want your boot drive to be a SSD - that's where all the fun happens.  If you want a secondary hard drive, using a standard spinning rust in the Superdrive space is easy enough, there are kits with the right mounting pieces.  Lightroom doesn't have a way to told to 'swap' on a separate drive like you can in Photoshop, so SSD as your main drive is optimal.

You really want to separate the catalog from the photos you're working with if they're all on the same spinning rust drive, be it internal or external.

A free option for cloning your Mac drive is http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

If you want to start fresh, grab http://diskmakerx.com/ and create an OS install thumb drive - it makes the install much faster, especially since there isn't a recovery partition.
t: @PNWMF

adias

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 02:17:37 am »

I just installed a Samsung 1TB 850 Pro SSD running El Capitan, and 16GB of RAM, on an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro. The machine flies - processing 50Mpixel RAW files, merging panos and so on on PS, Lr and other apps. It drives a 27" Cinema display perfectly with fast response. Who needs the latest, pricey bleeding edge stuff? :)

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 11:47:41 am »

Dumb question. My MBP 2010 has an installed-by-me Samsung Evo pro 500 mb boot drive. I tried to update from Snow Leopard to El Capitan the other day. The computer crashes shortly after boot-up.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »

Dumb question. My MBP 2010 has an installed-by-me Samsung Evo pro 500 mb boot drive. I tried to update from Snow Leopard to El Capitan the other day. The computer crashes shortly after boot-up.
Your problem is probably old files left on the computer from previous upgrades.
The same thing would have occurred if you went from Snow leopard to anything after it. 10.6 was pretty tolerant.

I am assuming that you of course made a TimeMachine backup of your computer before you upgraded it?
If you did then I suggest restoring it back before doing the next exercise.

Go through the Mac HD / Library folder and the User / Library folder and remove anything that is really old. This means old printers, old programmes, etc.
Use the Font Book app in the Applications folder to remove any broken and duplicate fonts.

If you then restart the upgrade process then stop after the download and make a boot USB stick. Google "How to make a bootable OS X installer drive"
This allows you to have something you can recover from without having to download the whole thing again. Good luck.

NancyP

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 07:57:29 pm »

great, that's my weekend project. Of course I Time-Machined it. I have an older clone boot drive that is stored offsite where I can't get at it quickly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up