Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 200-500 Again  (Read 6362 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Nikon 200-500 Again
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:08:14 am »

Got a replacement for my first 200-500 that was a complete dud. This one focuses much better but still a little slow on the initial focus lock at higher focal lengths. I've found that if I start for a lock at 300-350 and then zoom in as the subject gets closer, I get a much better continuous lock. Still, even with every camera parameter set for lock and track, it tends to want to lose and recapture focus in an almost random pattern. I'm shooting it on a D810, the same camera I've been shooting my 80-400 on for over a year now.

Has anyone else experienced this random focus acquisition and have you found a cure for it?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Nikon 200-500 Again
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:19:12 am »

I will check as soon as mine comes back from Nikon repair.  The rubber seal on the rear element pulled out thus making mounting the lens on a camera next to impossible as the gasket bound up.

A bit hard to believe as I have never had such a failure on any lens, by any company.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 11:24:42 am »

I want one of these lenses, but I've decided to wait a while.  It sounds like I made the right decision.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:33:39 pm »

Chris, if and when you do get accurate focus, how does the 200-500 compare to your 80-400? 
I sold my 80-400 just before the 200-500 was announced.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »

Oddly enough, the 200-500 is almost "too sharp at 500mm" and I know that sounds odd but the detail even wide open at 500 is incredible. It's as clear as the 80-400 at 400mm at a fraction of the cost...but it is hard to get a good focus lock or to hold the lock through the length of the shot and really hard if whatever you're locking on is coming at you head-on. This is not a particularly interesting shot, but the detail at 5.6, 500mm 1/4000 (I was shooting a Kingfisher just seconds before, thus the higher shutter than needed for a Wood Stork) is pretty remarkable for a $1,300 lens. I just wish it would lock as easily as the 80-400.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 03:46:36 am »

Oddly enough, the 200-500 is almost "too sharp at 500mm" and I know that sounds odd but the detail even wide open at 500 is incredible. It's as clear as the 80-400 at 400mm at a fraction of the cost...but it is hard to get a good focus lock or to hold the lock through the length of the shot and really hard if whatever you're locking on is coming at you head-on. This is not a particularly interesting shot, but the detail at 5.6, 500mm 1/4000 (I was shooting a Kingfisher just seconds before, thus the higher shutter than needed for a Wood Stork) is pretty remarkable for a $1,300 lens. I just wish it would lock as easily as the 80-400.

Interesting, what body are you using the lens with if I may ask?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 11:27:54 am »

Oddly enough, the 200-500 is almost "too sharp at 500mm" and I know that sounds odd but the detail even wide open at 500 is incredible.

Thanks, Chris.

Heh.  "too sharp": I've never heard that before about a lens. :)  Your Wood Stork is certainly sharp enough.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 11:44:05 am »

Interesting, what body are you using the lens with if I may ask?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Nikon D810

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 03:37:14 pm »

From a review of the 200-500mm on B&H:

"This zoom has autofocus problems. Nikkor now has accepted the problem and proposed a solution. Here is the text at their web site:

Those users who would like to have their AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR firmware updated may take or send their lens to Nikon, where your lens firmware will be updated free of charge. When sending your AF-S NIKKOR 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR lens to our service facility in Melville, NY or Los Angeles, CA, Nikon will cover the cost of shipping the lens to and from Nikon."

FYI

Regards,
Dale

My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

Colorado David

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 03:58:17 pm »

At what point can you reasonably assume the new lens will ship with the latest firmware?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:45:34 pm »

the 200-500 out of the gate needed a firmware update, that was also on Nikon's site about 3 weeks ago.  As I recall it had something to do with VR and AI focus.  My lens came in with that firmware.  I am curious if the B&H mention of firmware is this one, or yet a 2nd one that might have been released?

My lens, is still at the US LA west coast service center, now for 2.5 weeks for the rubber gasket at rear issue, hopefully if there is yet another firmware update Nikon will add that also. 

Sad that it's been there now 2 weeks and no update as to a date for a fix.  Adds some merit to the www.nikonrumors.com mention of a overall shortage of parts by Nikon US service centers. 

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

This lens came directly from Nikon and only after I spoke with a Nikon tech rep...he swore all the ones coming from NikonDirect were hunky dory, ready to go. I am going to call tomorrow and see if there is another firmware update on my serial #

Peter McLennan

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 07:58:55 pm »

Amazing that a lens should be released to market with problems that can be solved with firmware updates.  I look forward to progress reports.

Hopefully, these problems are temporary.  A "too sharp" 500 f5.6 has definitely infected me with a mild case of the want bumps.

dwswager

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 09:10:46 pm »

Amazing that a lens should be released to market with problems that can be solved with firmware updates.  I look forward to progress reports.

This is an absolutely fantastic development!  While the migration of the technical genius from hardware to software brings some potential for weird behavior in certain use cases, it makes correcting these problems possible.  Consider if this was a hardware problem!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 08:14:03 am »

This is an absolutely fantastic development!  While the migration of the technical genius from hardware to software brings some potential for weird behavior in certain use cases, it makes correcting these problems possible.  Consider if this was a hardware problem!

It very well may be hardware also, as the update has to be done by Nikon.  Just like the early D810 white dot issues.  There was more than just firmware added to those cameras.  Had to be done by the Nikon repair center.  Something in the body was also tweaked.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Peter McLennan

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 10:29:19 am »

I agree that the possibility of a firmware fix is good news.  This looks like a very fun lens.
What amazes me is that defective firmware could be released to market. It's not like firmware suffers from manufacturing tolerance issues.

dwswager

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

It very well may be hardware also, as the update has to be done by Nikon.  Just like the early D810 white dot issues.  There was more than just firmware added to those cameras.  Had to be done by the Nikon repair center.  Something in the body was also tweaked.

Paul C

It is most likely software only, but Nikon has to do it because there is no mechanism for a user to access the firmware in the lens.

However, my comment was general in nature and not directed to this specific case.

dwswager

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 05:11:35 pm »

I agree that the possibility of a firmware fix is good news.  This looks like a very fun lens.
What amazes me is that defective firmware could be released to market. It's not like firmware suffers from manufacturing tolerance issues.

With mechanicals, it is fairly easy to test in a the few extreme environments at the end of the spectrums.  Cold/Hot, high/low humidity, fast/slow rotation, etc.  Things work or they don't in the test units.  With firmware/software there can be an infinite number of variables at play.  That doesn't even begin to account for exception handling.

No matter how much testing is done, you can't ever account for all situations.  Let's assume you test against 30 different scenarios, immediately you have to multiply by every camera body the lens might be mounted on because the camera and lens interact.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »

I think with this lens it is more a matter of good practice and in finding the sweet spot which seems to be f/8 (like that should be a surprise).

I am much happier with this series of shots and while they appear to be almost atop me, they were still at least 75-100 feet out.

Osprey
Pages: [1]   Go Up