Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 5.1.1 and Screen Response, performance basically terrible  (Read 1659 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
LR 5.1.1 and Screen Response, performance basically terrible
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:18:09 pm »

I have posted a few questions on LR and performance, mainly on the video side, with 5.1.1 things have reached a breaking point with me. 

My machine:
win 64, 32GB ram, OS is on solid state drive.  Video card nvidia GX860 with 4GB of ram, just upgraded from nvidia GX 470 1GB of ram, Asus board, 2 years old, intel chipset, Intel i7 3.2Ghz processor.
LR catalog is on separate solid state drive,

Problem:

Basically all simple 1 step processes:
zoom to 100%, Zoom out from 100%
Brush draw, Brush erase
any slider movement, either in main image or within an adjustment brush

Just about anything, seems to just drag and drag and take an enormous amount of time.  At times simple zoom to 100%, may take 3 to 4 seconds, to form, then another 2 to 3 to get totally focused.  Then if you move around the file, another 2 to 3 seconds of blur move, then reform. 

This is on any file, P45+, D750, D810 IQ160, etc.  The responsiveness is just not there. 
Plus the more local adjustments, the more this issue seems to get worse,

Turning on the GPU, still seems to overall make this issue even worse, sadly.

Other programs, CC 2015, Capture One, all work fine, no lags, disruptive pauses, etc. Smooth working seamless.  But LR, just is terrible.

I am to the point where I am going to be forced to start using C1 more, (currently it's mainly for Phase raw), but this performance with LR is terrible.

Am I just a fluke here, are others getting screaming results? with Win64 machines?  The GPU issue is very disappointing, as I can't believe that LR can't work with this card.  C1 sees it and actually did seem to increase performance. 

I love LR, not trying to bash it, but this type of loading, viewing, anything lags just really is unacceptable in a modern program.   I have not upgraded to latest version but not expecting to see any improvements in performance there.

Any suggestions, (not moving to MAC) would be helpful.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: LR 5.1.1 and Screen Response, performance basically terrible
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:14 pm »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting. I am working on a computer from 2009 with 12 MB RAM and I don't feel LR is onworkable, although I feel that Capture One is much more fluent on the very same platform.

Could you post a dump of "System Info", like attached below?

Personally, I would mostly associate sluggish behaviour to some memory issue. Or a full disk or disk partition.

Best regards
Erik

I have posted a few questions on LR and performance, mainly on the video side, with 5.1.1 things have reached a breaking point with me. 

My machine:
win 64, 32GB ram, OS is on solid state drive.  Video card nvidia GX860 with 4GB of ram, just upgraded from nvidia GX 470 1GB of ram, Asus board, 2 years old, intel chipset, Intel i7 3.2Ghz processor.
LR catalog is on separate solid state drive,

Problem:

Basically all simple 1 step processes:
zoom to 100%, Zoom out from 100%
Brush draw, Brush erase
any slider movement, either in main image or within an adjustment brush

Just about anything, seems to just drag and drag and take an enormous amount of time.  At times simple zoom to 100%, may take 3 to 4 seconds, to form, then another 2 to 3 to get totally focused.  Then if you move around the file, another 2 to 3 seconds of blur move, then reform. 

This is on any file, P45+, D750, D810 IQ160, etc.  The responsiveness is just not there. 
Plus the more local adjustments, the more this issue seems to get worse,

Other programs, CC 2015, Capture One, all work fine, no lags, disruptive pauses, etc. Smooth working seamless.  But LR, just is terrible.

I am to the point where I am going to be forced to start using C1 more, (currently it's mainly for Phase raw), but this performance with LR is terrible.

Am I just a fluke here, are others getting screaming results? with Win64 machines?  The GPU issue is very disappointing, as I can't believe that LR can't work with this card.  C1 sees it and actually did seem to increase performance. 

I love LR, not trying to bash it, but this type of loading, viewing, anything lags just really is unacceptable in a modern program.   I have not upgraded to latest version but not expecting to see any improvements in performance there.

Any suggestions, (not moving to MAC) would be helpful.

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 01:40:38 pm »

Hello Eric:

I can't get to the same level of detail without multiple screen prints, in Win but here is the main summary.

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 02:47:06 pm »

Hello Paul,

What I was looking for is "System Info" on the help pop up menu inside "Lightroom".

Best regards
Erik

Hello Eric:

I can't get to the same level of detail without multiple screen prints, in Win but here is the main summary.
Erik Kaffehr

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 05:07:31 am »

with 5.1.1...//....Turning on the GPU,
You must be talking about LR 6.1.1, not 5 as GPU acceleration was only offered on version 6.
This has been widely reported. From what I've read and seen here, GPU acceleration makes a few tasks marginally faster in library, but actually slows things down in develop, so I always just leave it turned off.

A key factor you don't mention is display size. Driving a big high resolution 30" screen will take far more computational power than a lower resolution screen.

The one thing you could do to improve your system is put a faster processor in the motherboard or work with smaller displays. Other than that, there's no answer until Adobe get GPU acceleration working effectively.

FWIW I run a broadly similar system W7 64, i7 3.9ghz, 32gb ram, separate SSDs for system & catalogue, GTX470 driving 27 & 19 dual screen desktop @ 3840x1440. I'm working with smaller 5dii files and generally it works fine. The only sluggish control is colour temperature.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:11:06 am »

You must be talking about LR 6.1.1, not 5 as GPU acceleration was only offered on version 6.This has been widely reported. From what I've read and seen here, GPU acceleration makes a few tasks marginally faster in library, but actually slows things down in develop, so I always just leave it turned off.

A key factor you don't mention is display size. Driving a big high resolution 30" screen will take far more computational power than a lower resolution screen.

The one thing you could do to improve your system is put a faster processor in the motherboard or work with smaller displays. Other than that, there's no answer until Adobe get GPU acceleration working effectively.

FWIW I run a broadly similar system W7 64, i7 3.9ghz, 32gb ram, separate SSDs for system & catalogue, GTX470 driving 27 & 19 dual screen desktop @ 3840x1440. I'm working with smaller 5dii files and generally it works fine. The only sluggish control is colour temperature.

As far as I know, the only place where GPU acceleration is used is in the Develop module and not elsewhere.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:43:21 am »

As far as I know, the only place where GPU acceleration is used is in the Develop module and not elsewhere.
I'm pretty sure that one of 'those that know' said earlier here that it was used in library to enhance scrolling and redraws, I did some tests at the time and saw marginally increases* in performance with it switched on, but then develop got worse with it on, so I gave up.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:55 am »

I'm pretty sure that one of 'those that know' said earlier here that it was used in library to enhance scrolling and redraws, I did some tests at the time and saw marginally increases* in performance with it switched on, but then develop got worse with it on, so I gave up.

According to this writeup https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580 only the Develop module use GPU acceleration.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 09:29:23 am »

AFAIK the redrawing tweaks in 6.3 didn't involve the GPU.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 07:04:06 pm »

Just got back to my machine, I meant to write 2015.1.1 for version CC.  I have not upgraded to latest.

Eric, System info is listed below. 

I am mainly using the Develop where I am seeing the dramatic slow downs.  What is strange is there are times LR seems to work OK, still drags a bit, but I can live with it, but eventually it's like I hit a wall, and then no matter what file, I am working on, the times are like in my first post.  So I will usually just do a full shut down and start over. 

Paul  C

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 09:57:08 pm »

Paul... I'm having similar issues on my MacPro. It's an older 2008 model, but loaded, and I get the same issues you are having in that it slows down gradually and then 'hit's a wall' and just takes forever for anything to happen. C1 is better, but still no speed demon.
Mike Guilbault

Rendezvous

• Daniel Talbot Photo Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 08:19:33 pm »

I don't know why the software isn't performing more adequately, but there are some things you can do to help out.

-don't run at full screen - half screen is a lot faster from what I've seen
-dust removal before any editing is a lot more responsive
-leave lens correction / sharpening to last

Pages: [1]   Go Up