Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung NX1 the way of the dodo?  (Read 6775 times)

JaapD

Re: Samsung NX1 the way of the dodo?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2015, 02:46:22 am »

..... or scale up the Samsung sensor design to 56 Mpix FF. With this Nikon does not have to buy the sensors from their greatest competitor anymore, which usually is a NOGO in business.

Possibly as a first step we are going to see a Nikon NX2 28Mpix APS-C.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com

This seems like implausible wishful thinking.  It seems that the reflexive response of some rumor sites and forum posters to every bit of camera news or rumor, good or bad, is "Great! This means more, better FULL FRAME stuff is coming!"

I severely doubt that Samsung is selling all its sensor tech to Nikon, for several reasons:
- Samsung is the world's #1 or #2 camera maker, through its mobile phones.
- Sensor technology is embedded into other semi-conductor development and production activities, and again Samsung uses that technology in lots of other products.

Well, personally I could not care less about this rumour, I just thought it was interesting, and could shed a bit more light on recent facts (not rumours) about Samsung stopping selling cameras in several European countries. As for FF, I also said that APSC is probably enough as a starting point for a professional mirrorless camera from Nikon: weather build, robust construction, high frame rate, and F mount?

Plus, this rumour is very different from all the other "every bit of camera news" like you write. If this is true, and Nikon produces its first professional mirrorless camera, we know it will be at least APSC; if they are able to marry the F mount with Samsung's NX technology, something important will happen.

I don't understand what smartphones have to do with it; the rumour has to do about NX technology and sensors... did you actually read the thing?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 06:41:46 am »

Interesting rumor.

Nikon could fast track a mirrorless system to market with the NX1 rebadged and maybe with an F mount.
It would also make sense for Fuji to buy the sensor for their next generation of cameras.

Guess we will have to wait and see..  ;)

BJL

I don't understand what smartphones have to do with it; the rumour has to do about NX technology and sensors... did you actually read the thing?
Smart phones come in because Samsung clearly wants to keep designing and producing sensors for its smart-phones, and so it would not sell it sensor capabilities to Nikon, as the rumor claims Samsung it going to do.

I can se a bit more sense in some other deal, where Nikon acquires some parts of Samsung's mirrorless camera technology from Samsung but continues to outsource its sensors.  But Nikon already has mirrorless camera technology for its One system, and has access to sensors in its DX and FX sizes, so I would think that upsizing its own designs and so sharing some components, firmware and such between its different formats would be better for Nikon.

BJL

Samsung denies rumor of selling the NX system to Nikon
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »

"in a statement sent to Amateur Photographer (AP) this morning, a Samsung spokesperson said: ‘Media reports that Nikon is allegedly buying our NX technology are not true.’" – Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/official-statement-samsung-denies-nikon-is-buying-its-nx-camera-technology-66626#u6HSOru1JxxfbB4y.99

Of course the first response to this in another forum was to argue that "the stronger the denial, the more likely the rumor is to be true."

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Samsung denies rumor of selling the NX system to Nikon
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:39 pm »

"in a statement sent to Amateur Photographer (AP) this morning, a Samsung spokesperson said: ‘Media reports that Nikon is allegedly buying our NX technology are not true.’" – Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/official-statement-samsung-denies-nikon-is-buying-its-nx-camera-technology-66626#u6HSOru1JxxfbB4y.99

Of course the first response to this in another forum was to argue that "the stronger the denial, the more likely the rumor is to be true."

This rumor never made any sense in the first place.

The only technology Nikon may be interested in is sensor as an alternative supplier, but that's the very part that Samsung would most certainly never sell.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 11:14:52 pm »

From what I've reading there are some other things Nikon could use beside the sensor itself, as in better processors/4K video.

Right now I'm on the fence regarding buying anything significant photography wise. I hope Fuji get's their act together so I can put up with the weight differential vs m43, if not I will possibly get the new E-M2? and few WR lenses for travel/ inhospitable areas (Fuji needs better autofocus, better video, work more with Adobe to deal better with x-trans, more lightweight WR lenses, maybe IBIS, etc).

I will want a backup for the D750 for times when my trips are mainly photographic and I'm willing to carry more; so far I had the A7ii/A7rii with adapter in mind but I will wait to see if Nikon can come up with something in the next half a year or so, be it based on NX1 technology or not.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:18 am »

..... or scale up the Samsung sensor design to 56 Mpix FF. With this Nikon does not have to buy the sensors from their greatest competitor anymore, which usually is a NOGO in business.

Possibly as a first step we are going to see a Nikon NX2 28Mpix APS-C.

This I could definitely see, I think Nikon more than Sony probably wants as significant a resolution boost for the D810 successor as possible as well as going beyond the higher res Canon. Wit a D400 resolution might not be THAT big an issue but probably helps a bit given that Canon's greater crop gives it higher pixels density and more range.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 09:03:09 am »

Nikon has been designing its sensors since the late '80s, with the exceptions of the few sensors they bought in the past few years from Sony and Toshiba (that still had modifications done based on Nikon specs). Going mirrorless would mean merging the AF technology from the 1 Series into existing sensors in DX and FX formats.

What they might need from third parties, instead, are silicon fabs to actually make the sensors and the ASICs.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up