Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10-64x and x-rite i1 PhotoPro 2 not playing well together.  (Read 10453 times)

Some Guy

Old computer crashed so new one comes with Windows 10-64x and 6 USB 3.1 ports.  One even has more power than the other for hungry devices.

Big problem is i1 Profiler ver. 1.6.3 will not see the i1 PhotoPro 2 head, nor will it see the i1 Display Pro either.  Windows Device Manger shows the i1 Pro head so I will assume the computer and port is seeing it and it powers up when the i1Profiler software launches.  But it will not see the head in the software, lots of question marks in the software screen.

When I close the program, the software remains stuck in the Back Ground processes in Task Manager and the head remains lit.  If I force it to close in Task Manger, the program closes and the i1 head's LED turns off.

Their site's suggestion is to try a powered 2.0 USB port plugged into the 3.1 port.  Did that too, same issue.  Device Manager sees the head and says it is working, but the software does not.

Guesses?  :o

I'll try the ColorMunki Photo next since Device Manager also sees it when plugged in, but different software than the i1Profiler one.

Add:

ColorMunkiPhoto and its software works with Windows 10 64x and the USB 3.1 ports fine.  The expensive i1 PhotoPro 2 does not, nor does the i1 Display Pro that uses the i1 Profiler software as well.  I suspect buggy i1 PhotoPro software since this is a new computer and device Manager sees it and the ColorMunki had as well, just their i1 Profile software does not.  Weird  Time to bug x-rite.

SG
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:01:01 am by Some Guy »

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Windows 10-64x and x-rite i1 PhotoPro 2 not playing well together.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:39:20 am »

Another fix to try might be to pop a USB2 interface card into the system. A PCI or PCIe USB2 card won't cost much, you may even one around already. That should load with entirely different USB driver.

It might be that the 'bug' resides in the driver for the 3.1 port, so even putting a powered USB2 port onto it, the system is still trying to work the i1 through the 3.1 driver layer.

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 10:26:38 am »

Another fix to try might be to pop a USB2 interface card into the system. A PCI or PCIe USB2 card won't cost much, you may even one around already. That should load with entirely different USB driver.

It might be that the 'bug' resides in the driver for the 3.1 port, so even putting a powered USB2 port onto it, the system is still trying to work the i1 through the 3.1 driver layer.

Wish I could change cards, but this is on some new MSI gaming notebook as I plan to retire from using the desktop system to gain some portability.  It runs something called "Color True" which may be  a spin-offf of Apple's ColorSync (mess?) but don't know yet if that will present a problem.

I also tried running the i1 Profiler as Windows 8 compatibility mode, but no joy there either.

x-rite has already responded this AM and had me download some diagnostics program to see where the hang lies.  Log (and all tests say "Successful" too??) has been sent to them.  Oddly, the ColorMunki Photo with its much older software responds with its software, but the none of i1 stuff does not with i1 Profiler which seems suspect.

Waiting to see what they suggest...

SG

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:41:52 pm »

Bah!  So much for Windows 10 and the November patch.   >:(

After an hour or more with x-rite trying various things remotely via "Team Viewer" along with their 2nd and 3rd level IT guys to get i1Profiler ver. 1.6.3 running on this new computer with the "big" November update of Windows 10, it will not work with either the i1PhotoPro 2or their i1Display Pro that uses the same software.   Only ColorMunki Photo works with its software., while i1Profiler sometimes seizes up and will not recognize the head, or it might work on relaunch. Then the software randomly moves buttons that might work, and a minute later they will not with or without the head plugged in.  Very buggy.

Might have to sell the i1 PhotoPro 2 and the i1 Display Pro if they cannot find away to make it work.

SG

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 02:44:18 pm »

Followed this thread with some interest as I am waiting delivery of i1 Display Pro (next week).  Mainly to calibrate and profile my Eizo CS240 (in this case using the Eizo Color Navigator software) and also a secondary NEC screen (not vital but nice to have) from the same graphics card.  I will also be attempting to profile a couple of laptops.  All PC's Windows 10 64 bit.

I am hoping that you may be wrong about issues with the software but nothing to support that this may be the case. 

So FWIW some suggestions that if you have not already tried may help (in no particular order):

*You seem to have the latest software i.e. v 1.6.3.  This is supposed to support Windows 10 properly.  Have you tried completely removing x-rite software and reinstalling?

*The device needs a properly powered USB port and it seems that while you have these you are limited to attaching a powered USB 2 port to one of these, but as Rhossyd said you are still running through the USB 3.1 configured ports and using that particular USB driver.  Have you tried uninstalling rebooting and letting Windows find the laptop USB ports and adding any required driver?

*No idea about the "Color True" application but I would be tempted to temporarily disable it as it could be incompatible with the X -Rite app.

*The laptop should probably have the power supply connected (and turned on  ;D) when profiling

*Check that anti virus, anti malware and firewall are not a cause of the X Rite application not running.  I would be tempted to turn them all off (disconnect from internet first) as a temporary measure

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 02:48:51 pm by TonyW »

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:42:15 am »

Followed this thread with some interest as I am waiting delivery of i1 Display Pro (next week).  Mainly to calibrate and profile my Eizo CS240 (in this case using the Eizo Color Navigator software) and also a secondary NEC screen (not vital but nice to have) from the same graphics card.  I will also be attempting to profile a couple of laptops.  All PC's Windows 10 64 bit.

I am hoping that you may be wrong about issues with the software but nothing to support that this may be the case. 

So FWIW some suggestions that if you have not already tried may help (in no particular order):

*You seem to have the latest software i.e. v 1.6.3.  This is supposed to support Windows 10 properly.  Have you tried completely removing x-rite software and reinstalling?

*The device needs a properly powered USB port and it seems that while you have these you are limited to attaching a powered USB 2 port to one of these, but as Rhossyd said you are still running through the USB 3.1 configured ports and using that particular USB driver.  Have you tried uninstalling rebooting and letting Windows find the laptop USB ports and adding any required driver?

*No idea about the "Color True" application but I would be tempted to temporarily disable it as it could be incompatible with the X -Rite app.

*The laptop should probably have the power supply connected (and turned on  ;D) when profiling

*Check that anti virus, anti malware and firewall are not a cause of the X Rite application not running.  I would be tempted to turn them all off (disconnect from internet first) as a temporary measure

I managed to get it working after shutting off random services in Task Manager and trying the x-rite software.  :)

The new computer has some gaming items it came with.  It has some secondary audio software (That provides some sound improvements to the Realtek WHQL audio driver.) called Nahimic that evidently causes the i1 Profiler software to freeze up and run very erratically.  So that had to go with Uninstall Programs as wel as uninstalling the Realtek audio driver.  Then reloading just the Realtek audio driver got the i1 Profile software to "sort of run" where it refused before.  I've also informed Nahimic of the matter as well.

The easiest test is to try and open "Application Settings" in the i1 Profiler (1.6.3) and use the tab that says "i1 Display Pro" and try to select between the "i1 Display" or the "i1 Pro | i1 Pro 2" heads.  If you cannot change between them, and the program appears frozen, something is interfering with the software (Nahimic in my case, even though it was the most current version 1.2.9).

You are right about the AV matter which caused sundry freezes post the removal of the above.  It came with a 60 day Norton AV program (Trial version.). The Norton has something called SONAR which is actively scanning everything and it doesn't like X-rite at times. I disabled it in the Auto-Protect portion and it seemed to help too.  You should be able to unplug and re-plug the head and see it light up once the i1 Profiler software is running, but Norton sometimes interferes with the head's re-light (SONAR must be polling the USB ports?).   Your i1 Display Pro head should flash about every 6 seconds else you have an issue.

I'd weight the Nahimic audio software as 90% of the issue and Norton AV as 10% for the i1 Profiler interference. The old computer had Kaspersky as the AV and no issues running X-rite with it.  I believe it also had no issues with AVG years prior to the switch to Kaspersky either.  The pre-loaded Norton AV it just doesn't like for whatever active scanning it does.

Fwiw, I could not get the i1 Display Pro to run prior or the i1 PhotoPro2 head.  They were erratic on lighting up when plugged into the USB port.  With the two above issues resolved, they both work now.  I may ditch Norton soon too since my old Kaspersky still has a few months left on it.

I also disabled True Color (Which initially looks pretty good (Portrait Displays.com and seems a lot of computers are becoming pre-loaded with it from their website.) as I thought it might use its profile ahead or behind X-rite's profile and confuse the matter.  I don't think it has any impact on X-rite though, but Portrait Displays isn't saying anything either.

I also need to dig through a few CBS.log and DISM.log issues too, but that's Windows 10 stuff and most likely a result of the November update last week which was huge and needed about 6-8 hours to download and install.  I don't think the issues in the two logs are pertinent to the x-rite software, but I do not want to use up my one remaining Adobe perpetual license in case they could become an issue down the road.  Color Management goes in before Adobe.

Fwiw, both heads are running through the USB 3.1 ports as well as one high-current 1.5 amp USB 3.1 port that can be used to charge phones and tablets.  They are some new symbols on the USB ports to say which are which.  Didn't need to use the powered 2.0 hub, but it was a good shot.

Good luck!

...back to figuring out the CBS and DISM logs.  Ugh!

SG

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »

I managed to get it working after shutting off random services in Task Manager and trying the x-rite software.  :)
Great news  :D

The new computer has some gaming items it came with.  It has some secondary audio software (That provides some sound improvements to the Realtek WHQL audio driver.) called Nahimic that evidently causes the i1 Profiler software to freeze up and run very erratically.  So that had to go with Uninstall Programs as wel as uninstalling the Realtek audio driver.  Then reloading just the Realtek audio driver got the i1 Profile software to "sort of run" where it refused before.  I've also informed Nahimic of the matter as well.
Weird that an audio driver interfering with the X Rite app.  Good to know as my own system uses Realtek driver - but not the Nahimic

You are right about the AV matter which caused sundry freezes post the removal of the above.  It came with a 60 day Norton AV program (Trial version.). The Norton has something called SONAR which is actively scanning everything and it doesn't like X-rite at times. I disabled it in the Auto-Protect portion and it seemed to help too...The pre-loaded Norton AV it just doesn't like for whatever active scanning it does...
If you wish to continue with Norton then you should be able to exclude the X-Rite application (and any other) from being scanned from within the Norton dialogue

FWIW, there can be issues with laptops or PC's with integrated graphics where the installed monitor profile gets overlooked and a generic profile applied.  This occurs after the computer returns from hibernation mode or a UAC message.  I know that it could happen with Windows 7 but this may have been 'fixed' in later versions.  Hopefully this does not apply for you in Win 10. In any case the issue can be resolved with a little tweak or two

Thanks for your hints and tips on the i1Display

DaveOffutt

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »

I just read this post with much interest!

I've also encountered a number of similar issues with W10 Pro x64. Is your system running Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1607, or 1703?

I have 1607 and have noticed several of the last three MS updates to is have caused problems!

Also re Norton, I have always had trouble with them including with Windows XP & 7 Pro.  Norton seem to take over interfering with just about everything, often delaying processes, causing them to time-out and the associated Application to malfunction. 

A couple of years ago I switched to McAfee Total Protection and since have had no problems.

Prior to my upgrade from W7 to W10 if had no issues with any program and none of my X-Rite products mal functioned.  NOW, with W10x64 I've had to remove & reload programs, sometime more than once to keep them working.  (usually after a MS Update!)
Dave Offutt

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:12:47 pm »

We used Symantec's Endpoint corporate antivirus for years. It was essentially the same as Norton but added centralized management, actual people to call for support, and did not require yearly renewals. Unfortunately Symantec/Norton never played well with Windows 10 and the SONAR component was the worst offender. I recall more than one occasion when USB devices, including i1Pro and Display, could not be found. I suspect that if you uninstall enough crapware - beginning with Norton - you will have a working i1Pro2. We decided that the $1500 we paid Symantec was a bad investment and ditched the antivirus.

I do not recall any of our Win 10 systems having problems with X-Rite software and hardware unless there was incompatible *cough* Symantec *cough* software installed.

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:40:38 am »

I don't recall if this stance against anti-virus solutions by a former Mozilla developer has previously been discussed in this forum, but in any case it seems germane to the discussion here.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 03:17:52 am »

I don't recall if this stance against anti-virus solutions by a former Mozilla developer has previously been discussed in this forum, but in any case it seems germane to the discussion here.

Yeah, I've long said that security software from major companies is an intrusive joke - the likes of Norton and MacAfee, with increasing other companies joining their ranks of producing intrusive bloated junkware.

All that might really be be useful is Windows Defender and before that, the free Microsoft Security Essentials.  And to drill into people, things like not opening attachments/programs from unknown sources such as spam, for instance.

Those other big companies prey on the people that may not know as much about computers, for their 'peace of mind' in feeling that if they keep paying, then they stay protected.

=====================

... Even though the OP is very old, for future reference, one other option to try is the free/donation-ware Argyll with DisplayCal front-end GUI.  I think it's much better than i1Profiler, to boot.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 04:46:38 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

Doug Gray

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 03:09:40 pm »

Yeah, I've long said that security software from major companies is an intrusive joke - the likes of Norton and MacAfee, with increasing other companies joining their ranks of producing intrusive bloated junkware.

All that might really be be useful is Windows Defender and before that, the free Microsoft Security Essentials.  And to drill into people, things like not opening attachments/programs from unknown sources such as spam, for instance.

Those other big companies prey on the people that may not know as much about computers, for their 'peace of mind' in feeling that if they keep paying, then they stay protected.

=====================

... Even though the OP is very old, for future reference, one other option to try is the free/donation-ware Argyll with DisplayCal front-end GUI.  I think it's much better tan i1Profiler, to boot.

Yep. I stick with Windows Defender mostly for avoiding AV and application conflicts. I'm quite aware of how malware gets loaded and have not had any since XP circa 2005 when I was quite sloppy. I have had fun downloading some email with malware attached or linked, putting it on a VM in a test system, hooking up Wireshark, and watching the fun. One of which came from my broker's home email account that got compromised. Embarrassing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up