Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A specific power question for Phase One  (Read 2121 times)

Miyata610

A specific power question for Phase One
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »

EXACTLY what are the power requirements for the H25?

I know it works fine with a 12v 2A supply, but I have a project where I need to know more specifically what voltage and current are the actual minimum.

I've searched without luck.

Btw, I'm not asking for an answer for ANY digital back, just the H25. It should be somewhat less than the P25 for example.

If you can help, then you will receive my eternal gratitude.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:14:31 am by Miyata610 »

ddolde

Re: A specific power question for Phase One
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:33:27 pm »

Cant you ask Phase One directly? How would anyone here know that?

Miyata610

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:54:50 pm »

Cant you ask Phase One directly? How would anyone here know that?

Yeah I tried that. Got the "use a FireWire hub with external power" answer. I was hoping that others might have come up with an answer through frustrating trial and error. Just like I'm going to have to do, unfortunately. At least then I'll be able to help others.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:37 pm »

Grab one of these and give it a go: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-HY1803D-Variable-Power-Supply/dp/B000CSQK5E

I guess the one thing that may help you out is to better explain why 12v/2a isn't enough info.  As in, I'm sending this H25 back into space, and need to account for power use of it and the computer it's attached to.  Or that you're building a quasi ImageBank and want to make sure it'll put enough juice onto the line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394  Says up to 30v, and up to 1.5a, so try running with 12v/1.5a and see if you can get your capture rates.
t: @PNWMF

Miyata610

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:35:57 pm »

Grab one of these and give it a go: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-HY1803D-Variable-Power-Supply/dp/B000CSQK5E

I guess the one thing that may help you out is to better explain why 12v/2a isn't enough info.  As in, I'm sending this H25 back into space, and need to account for power use of it and the computer it's attached to.  Or that you're building a quasi ImageBank and want to make sure it'll put enough juice onto the line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394  Says up to 30v, and up to 1.5a, so try running with 12v/1.5a and see if you can get your capture rates.

Yep that'd be a fun toy.

I'm setting up a kit for remote work, away from any kind of power source, except what I can carry. It will include batteries and solar. Yes, I know this isn't the right gear, but it's the gear I want to use. :)

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 11:04:21 pm »

I'm setting up a kit for remote work, away from any kind of power source, except what I can carry. It will include batteries and solar. Yes, I know this isn't the right gear, but it's the gear I want to use. :)

Is it going to be manned or unmanned?  Will you be mobile or setting it up and leaving it in the sun?  I take it you will be pairing it with a machine to run the captures, is that why you need the load of the back?  What body are you pairing it with?

Knowing you have to carry all this will help keep the total weight in check.
t: @PNWMF

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 11:49:06 pm »

Some Laptops with PCMCIA slots for Firewire have a power connection which should work. The power off laptops with built in power I don't think work well, at least not for Dell with the Mini converted plug.

Another option is to use a 12v lead acid battery.

You might consider 12v being the minimum across a number of shots. If you use the wake up with a flash trigger then maybe it uses more. If you just use wake up, it might be less.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

mikiphoto.bo

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 01:20:24 am »

The Guru of Phase ONE in ITALY.   http://www.enzogarletti.it/

Miyata610

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 03:56:59 am »

Is it going to be manned or unmanned?  Will you be mobile or setting it up and leaving it in the sun?  I take it you will be pairing it with a machine to run the captures, is that why you need the load of the back?  What body are you pairing it with?

Knowing you have to carry all this will help keep the total weight in check.

Manned. Mobile. Currently powering it from an older MacBook Pro. Works ok for relatively short exposures (the low voltage from the Mac causes some issues). I have a MacBook Air on order with a thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, so I'll need to inject more power for the back. Body is 503CX plus the 4/50.

I need to know the power load so I can calculate battery and charging capacity required, as well as getting reliable performance. I'm using Lenmar external batteries at the moment and a portable flexible photovoltaic panel, but I'm looking at alternatives.

For those that know Tasmania.... I've carried 40kg in to some interesting areas, including Cradle Mountain (Overland Track and Arm River Track), Walls of Jerusalem, the Western Arthurs and the South Coast Track.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:11:59 am by Miyata610 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up