Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cutting without printing on iPF6400  (Read 1509 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
cutting without printing on iPF6400
« on: November 18, 2015, 03:01:21 pm »

I want to cut off a number of blank 16" lengths of paper off a 24" roll of CAD paper on my iPF6400. I don't want to stand at the printer with a tape measure and feed and measure and cut for two hours, so I tried printing a blank image (RGB = 255,255,255) from LR and it won't print. From the LR Print module I see it get rendered and the Canon print driver pops up as usual, but the printer sits silent and shows nothing on its menu display to indicate it got anything from LR. Any ideas what is going on and how to remedy it?

picman

Re: cutting without printing on iPF6400
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »

Is "No spaces Top or Bottom" checked in the Canon print driver?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 04:09:10 pm »

Is "No spaces Top or Bottom" checked in the Canon print driver?
It wasn't, but after checking it, I get the same result. I know the printer is getting something because the data light blinks, but nothing more after that.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 04:53:14 pm »

It wasn't, but after checking it, I get the same result. I know the printer is getting something because the data light blinks, but nothing more after that.

For a printer not a bad decision in the end :-)  You can not print a pixel wide light yellow line at the right side from top to bottom of that sheet?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:04:03 pm »

For a printer not a bad decision in the end :-)  You can not print a pixel wide light yellow line at the right side from top to bottom of that sheet?
First I tried a single light yellow pixel in upper corner and the printer spat out a 1" long printout. Then I printed a light yellow vertical line as you suggested and got what I need. Yes, the printer is making good decisions. :)
Problem solved - thank you Ernst!

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 05:13:26 pm »

The solution suggested by Ernst is a suitable one for me, this time, because I don't have to babysit the printer and I'm not in a rush. It is currently cutting 16"x24" sheets for me at the rate of about one every two minutes. At this rate it will take over an hour to cut my 32 sheets.

The printer has the capability to do this much much faster. Surely I'm not the only one who would like to occasionally cut blank sheets from a roll. There is no better solution?

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 08:27:34 pm »

The solution suggested by Ernst is a suitable one for me, this time, because I don't have to babysit the printer and I'm not in a rush. It is currently cutting 16"x24" sheets for me at the rate of about one every two minutes. At this rate it will take over an hour to cut my 32 sheets.

The printer has the capability to do this much much faster. Surely I'm not the only one who would like to occasionally cut blank sheets from a roll. There is no better solution?

Have you tried app generated cut marks? Lightroom will do this, so will Photoshop, perhaps Qimage.

Brian A

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 04:41:28 am »

There is no better solution?

One of the Fotoba cutters but I do not think there is one below $ 5K. Or preserve an abandoned printer for that task. Drive it from an Arduino board. After a long delay I dismantled two Epson 9000's, kept the essential parts like the rail, media transport, head carriage, encoding strip, stepping motors. For a project like that. They may never be used or be recycled into an automatic 44" wide spectrometer target reader, a cutter like you need, the two for a dual axis camera/scanner and with an extra axis added into a 3D printer. Solutions start by dreaming, followed by analyzing then deduction comes which rounds it off to zero result most of the time.

You could try cut marks in Qimage Ultimate and it has a complex path to make them light yellow. i do not think there is much gain in time as the head has to move to the left side too then. Be aware that an hour cutting with an iPF6400 keeps 11 ink channels inactive for that time.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2014 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 10:09:50 am »

...preserve an abandoned printer for that task. Drive it from an Arduino board....
Yes I really need more projects. Great idea and what fun though!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 10:52:28 am by pcgpcg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up