Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadowed  (Read 1400 times)

stamper

Shadowed
« on: November 18, 2015, 07:54:48 am »

?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Shadowed
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:03:08 am »

Dramatic.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 09:47:34 am »

Would it be stronger if the other three gentlemen in the far background are cloned out?

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:21:54 am »

...or having removed the four, using a bit of their remains to keep in tact all four shadows...
A common woman~

francois

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 10:54:52 am »

I like it as it is… Well done!
Francois

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 11:10:13 am »

Would it be stronger if the other three gentlemen in the far background are cloned out?

I think cloning out the guy on the left will make the picture stronger; there is too much visible detail in that character. Leave two of the shadows and eliminate the other two (there are four men in that group). In my opinion four elements clutter the message, whereas three clarify the story. It's hard for a viewer to look at this type of photo without attaching it to a narrative.

You may want to accentuate highlight on the shoulder and some of the head on the figure on the right. I also think the badge clipped to the man's trousers is extraneous--I don't want to be clued in that he has a corporate ID tag.

This picture has tons of potential, and the modifications I've suggested are easy to execute.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:18:36 am by BobDavid »

seamus finn

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 02:27:17 pm »

Personally, I love pictures about shadows- and that's what this one is all about. I downloaded and messed about with it.The picture suggests stalking, but the main guy is going the other way.I feel the background is a bit too cluttered and maybe confusing.

I think to suggest something rather than blatantly show it is often more powerful. So, I took the atrocious liberty of trying to inject a more sinister atmosphere into an already sinister picture. Shadows on the ground - scary!

For what it's worth, here's a version - with apologies in advance to Stamper who is free to stamp all over me if he wishes!

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 03:15:31 pm by seamus finn »

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 02:30:53 pm »

Personally, I love pictures about shadows- and that's what this one is all about. I downloaded and messed about with it.The picture suggests stalking, but the main guy is going the other way.I feel the background is a bit too cluttered and maybe confusing.

I think to suggest something rather than blatantly show it is often more powerful. So, I took the atrocious liberty of trying to inject a more sinister atmosphere into an already sinister picture. For what it's worth, here's a version - with apologies in advance to Stamper who is free to stamp all over me if he wishes!

I like the first one better because it implies a story/narrative and it is therefore not a one-liner. This version is not as evocative. Just my two bits...

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 07:33:58 pm »

The more I play (messy, but thinking out loud) with the ideas the more your original is appealing ... one you can't really pass by among a wall asking for pause... nice one.
A common woman~

stamper

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 05:02:52 am »

Thanks for the feedback. An image that has many possibilities and the feedback has shown this. Seamus no problems about the crop. I normally crop an image - sorry Russ - in different ways to see if there is an image within an image. What I liked was that the different men seemed to be forming a queue whilst following the woman. There isn't anything sinister in reality because this is a busy lane in the centre of Glasgow and a women would be perfectly safe. Another from the same scene. The sun hits the lane about midday in autumn so it makes a good venue for contrast B&W.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 05:14:33 am »

I have had another look at the image. Here is a version with the screen blend added twice. Though there are four shadows there is only three men. I haven't cloned anyone out but maybe the fourth man wasn't in the frame. Seamus all the guys are going in the same direction.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 08:45:04 am »

What a fantastic location for your high-contrast photos, Stamper. I hope you'll do more of them.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 08:52:58 am »

What a fantastic location for your high-contrast photos, Stamper. I hope you'll do more of them.

I have a lot of them....just not sure how they will be received. A fickle lot on here. ;) :)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 03:01:41 pm »

I have a lot of them....just not sure how they will be received. A fickle lot on here. ;) :)
True. But if I like them, that's all that really matters!   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John R

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 02:49:43 pm »

I just noticed these and starting mulling them over. While in general I like the high contrast look when done well, I don't like the first image. The second, 'pursuing', I like very much, because I think the treatment is closer to a more natural high contrast look, and the design is simpler and more effective. The first looks overdone, especially where there is detail in the people and other areas, and an obvious attempt to alter the contrast. It looks cooked. The cleaner the contrast, the better the overall look and impact will be, like in the second shot. To be fair, the second shot is also simpler in design giving the people and and interplay of shapes an enhanced dynamic quality. IMHO, I wouldn't try to alter the natural contrast beyond what the file can handle. The first image looks almost posterized in some areas.

JR

stamper

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 09:31:34 am »

I just noticed these and starting mulling them over. While in general I like the high contrast look when done well, I don't like the first image. The second, 'pursuing', I like very much, because I think the treatment is closer to a more natural high contrast look, and the design is simpler and more effective. The first looks overdone, especially where there is detail in the people and other areas, and an obvious attempt to alter the contrast. It looks cooked. The cleaner the contrast, the better the overall look and impact will be, like in the second shot. To be fair, the second shot is also simpler in design giving the people and and interplay of shapes an enhanced dynamic quality. IMHO, I wouldn't try to alter the natural contrast beyond what the file can handle. The first image looks almost posterized in some areas.

JR

What you describe as posterized is possibly too much clarity by myself? Something I will have too think about. Thanks for the feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up