Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: The most revolutionary camera designs in photo history... suggest your top 3!  (Read 17169 times)

Zorki5

• AOLib

To me, "revolutionary" cameras are those that introduced something, some concept that triggered huge growth of cameras of the same type. So here we go:

1. Fox Talbot's mousetrap camera (before that, there were mostly experiments with light-sensitive materials, not cameras as such).

2. Original Oskar Barnack's 35-mm camera (the mother of all portable film cameras; 135 format film cameras outnumbered everything else and proved to be winning concept, outnumbering everything else by far).

3. Digital camera in a cell phone (the very first was probably in a Samsung phone around 2000; it is this mating, not small digital camera by itself, that triggered the most explosive growth of the number of taken images, all those billions a day we keep hearing about).

Jens Peermann

I'll throw one more into the mix, and feel free to point me to an earlier camera that fulfilled the same roll, but I would say the Brownie had to be one of the most revolutionary cameras. This is the camera that was designed for the masses and made photography accessible, at least by my understanding, to said masses.

I absolutely agree. The Brownie, along with its competitor the Agfa Box, is the camera that took a procedure that was almost regarded as science and allowed it to be performed by untrained everyday people. It took photography from a specialized niche product to become a huge market that allowed a technical evolution that led to the amazing devices we enjoy today.

I myself got started in photography at the age of 4 when I confiscated the family's Agfa Box, triggering a lifelong passion.

Very hard to think of possible runner ups in this category. If there are any they will be very distant.

Theodoros

Are we limiting ourselves to still cameras?

We have to (limit ourselves to still cameras)... Otherwise the discussion will never end!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up